Sign in to follow this  
just2good

Ups and Downs of LEGO shopping online

Not sure if this is the right thread for this...

But what are the ups and downs of LEGO shopping sites? I'm talking about Bricklink, eBay, and whatnot. Which features do you not like, which do you really like, and which features would you like to see?

Ebay is simple to use while Bricklink looks very intimidating. They've gotten a bit better, but it's still more complicated than Ebay. Ebay also has buyer protection.

I'd like to see a site like Bricklink with more of a streamlined system.

Bricklink is great and being a bit aesthetically outdated and confusing goes in favor of deterring the sort of idiots you are likely to find on trivial facebook groups asking things like "how much is my haul worth?' while using a flower patterned tablecloth for a backdrop

If they can't use bricklink, then less sellers have to deal with them which means we get better service with more trust and less restrictive rules and fees. I try to see everything in positive light, that or I really like Bricklink and I'm biased by my extreme admiration.

I don't use ebay much, because all the good stuff is in Germany, and they failed to mention my country in postman school.

^^I like the format, but there isn't the same selection as Bricklink. Thanks for the reference!

Edited by Master_Data

Bricklink has been around for ages, and because of the sheer number of users and familiarity, there is a HUGE barrier to entry for any new players. I've checked Brick Owl out a few times, and just don't get it. Bricklink certainly has it's flaws, but most serious Fans of LEGO have learned to navigate around them. A competitor would have to absolutely change the game to make it worth my time as a seller.

I have only bought through Bricklink as opposed to eBay and others. I don't have anything against the other sites. Just haven't used them. With Bricklink, I took my time getting acquainted with the site. Did a lot of exploring. Then, when I was ready to buy, I did a small order with a seller just to see how it worked. Everything went smoothly and I started ordering fairly regularly. I bought parts for Cafe Corner shortly after it retired. Probably could have bought the whole set fairly cheaply at that point but I was still leery of buying that much from a private individual online. I made my share of mistakes, like not communicating with or leaving feedback for a seller who included a brick that had been sawn from another brick. But over time, I have found the site to be highly useful.

With eBay there's always a chance of picking something up as a bargain thanks to something being listed incorrectly or being mislabelled altogether so I like it for that but as with any item on eBay the experience is also down to the seller.

BrickLink is my goto place for ordering specific parts and, on the whole, is a more reliable and cost effective way of buying especially in bulk.

I use both regularly.

There are also various 'car boot' or preloved sites here in the UK but when people list Lego on places like this, or in car boot sales for that matter, they tend to pump the price as they know Lego has a good secondary market value.

Agreed, Bricklink is very intimidating at first. I wish the site had a bit of a friendlier interface.

Sadly there doesn't seem to be a good place to buy old BrickWarriors pieces.

Edited by sirben

Quick question, how trustworthy are these sites (Bricklink / Brick Owl)? I'd like to get replacements for my Pepper Potts, Taskmaster, Magneto, and Bank Guard because of dogs chewing them up... What happens if I don't get what I order? Is there a return guarantee? Which site should I use to get these 4 minifigs?

Um, Bricklink and Brickowl, probably, are the main non LEGO Group related shops you can use to buy exactly what you need. You can always find a funky seller, but most of the time shopping experience is really great. If you don't feel confident then paying with Paypal will give you a buyer protection, so you are safe here.

Returns/missing parts are handled buy each seller independently. Some may ship you missing parts, other might want to send you a partial refund. It depends how you agree with seller. If you have any questions please ask seller first before placing an order.

I've been using BrickLink for 4 years now and never not received an order.

Once or twice I've had wrong parts and the seller has simply sent the right parts and told me to keep the other parts they sent.

I've ordered from all over the world with shipping to the UK and it doesn't matter whether it's Canada, USA, Czech Republic, Australia or Norway things have arrived safely and well packaged.

I've been using BrickLink for 4 years now and never not received an order.

Once or twice I've had wrong parts and the seller has simply sent the right parts and told me to keep the other parts they sent.

I've ordered from all over the world with shipping to the UK and it doesn't matter whether it's Canada, USA, Czech Republic, Australia or Norway things have arrived safely and well packaged.

Oh sounds trustworthy after all, thanks!

Agreed that Bricklink is very intimidating and not very user friendly, though I came to like it after a couple orders.

But yeah, never had a bad expenrience and the sellers I had buisness with were all happy to help.

I also tend to stick to small to mid sized sellers that live in surrounding countries, their prices are much better and shipping cost will not be atrocious.

Small tip too, always ask for the shipping cost, I once had to pay 5$ for a postbox letter from a seller that lived in the same town as I am. :(

Small tip too, always ask for the shipping cost, I once had to pay 5$ for a postbox letter from a seller that lived in the same town as I am. :(
Was it an actual shipping price or "shipping price" that actually includes number of undescribed fees?

Sign in to follow this