Kai NRG

Sailing through MapLand

I think this is the right forum for this. :pir-look: At least, I hope so. :pir-grin:

A loose recreation of the LEGO 2x2 map tile.

26437971662_a4fecc71e3.jpg

26504336626_91429b6870.jpg

26437980332_e1a5f38ef6.jpg

26464251681_cf3dd2fa6c.jpg

Anchors aweigh!

26464222061_d004009667.jpg

X marks the spot.

26504366866_6f8ecaa7c9.jpg

26257470960_ecfd32f33f.jpg

This build was a ton of fun - I love this sort of scale and working with bright colors was a blast!

C&C welcome!

Thanks for looking!

I built a map of a LEGO printed tile before myself, but yours is way cooler pirate_satisfied.gif I love the ship, and you did a very good job with the landmass shaping thumbup.gif

Really clever! The anchor is just perfect. How often do you just sculpt out a map? Could you do one free-handed at all?

I built a map of a LEGO printed tile before myself, but yours is way cooler pirate_satisfied.gif I love the ship, and you did a very good job with the landmass shaping thumbup.gif

Thanks SK!

Cool 2D with 3D effect map. :thumbup: Is there any real treasure under the X?

Thank you!

Now why didn't I think of that?! Nope, there's no treasure under the X, unfortunately.

In the immortal words of IconaPop, "I LOVE IT!!! I DON'T CARE!!!"

pirate_laugh2.gif

Really clever! The anchor is just perfect. How often do you just sculpt out a map? Could you do one free-handed at all?

Thank you! This is the first time I've done this sort of thing with bricks. I think I've free-handed drawn a few maps but not very often. I imagine I could free-hand a couple landmasses like this easily enough (in fact I've though about doing a few free-hand maps in this style) - in general I find semi realistic landmasses easy to free-hand (whether with bricks, digitally, or on paper). But I don't usually have any particular reason to just sit down and draw maps of nothing. pir_laugh2.gif

Awesome map Kai, love the colors here, and you really nailed the textures too! pirate_wink.gif The compass(es), ship, anchor, and strings add a lot to this as well! pirate_satisfied.gif

This is so cool. I was just admiring this very tile the other day as I was putting the final touches on my wall art. This might be my favourite tile.. right up there with the blue wizards scroll. Soooo cool to see it in full scale.

Kai NRG,

I'm not sure if you would be interested in this, but would you be inclined to draw up a random map for my own fictitious purposes? I'm afraid I can't ever accept what I come up with due to the sheer randomness I need. Eventually I would like to draw up a map of a whole new planet, consisting of twelve or thirteen land masses. I'm sure I could use whatever you come up with for an upcoming project. I promise I will cite you in the credits when it is finally done...Does that make any sense? pirate_sceptic.gif

I like the way you draw up maps!

I think Lego.com pirate 2015 set was like a 3D map. But yours is much better and the ship is nice.

Thank you! pirate_satisfied.gif

Awesome map Kai, love the colors here, and you really nailed the textures too! pirate_wink.gif The compass(es), ship, anchor, and strings add a lot to this as well! pirate_satisfied.gif

Thanks Garmadon! These colors were fun to work with!

This is so cool. I was just admiring this very tile the other day as I was putting the final touches on my wall art. This might be my favourite tile.. right up there with the blue wizards scroll. Soooo cool to see it in full scale.

Thank you! Yes, I really like this map tile as well... great colors and detail on it is really awesome.

Kai NRG,

I'm not sure if you would be interested in this, but would you be inclined to draw up a random map for my own fictitious purposes? I'm afraid I can't ever accept what I come up with due to the sheer randomness I need. Eventually I would like to draw up a map of a whole new planet, consisting of twelve or thirteen land masses. I'm sure I could use whatever you come up with for an upcoming project. I promise I will cite you in the credits when it is finally done...Does that make any sense? pirate_sceptic.gif

I like the way you draw up maps!

PMed you!

This looks like a fun build! I like the partial relief of the map, the micro ship, and the compass. I may steal the anchor design for a ship's stern decoration I'm working on.

This looks like a fun build! I like the partial relief of the map, the micro ship, and the compass. I may steal the anchor design for a ship's stern decoration I'm working on.

Thanks Capt Wolf! It definitely was a really fun build. I've been considering doing another one in fact... hard to find time though! You're welcome to use that anchor design... it was one of those things that just "clicked" right together and looked great!