Sign in to follow this  
soccerkid6

Black Falcon Fortress Update

Built for the 2016 MOCAthalon, the category this time was “Classic Update.” I chose to update the Black Falcon Fortress #6074.

The original featured a working drawbridge and hinging walls to allow for multiple building layouts. I kept both those features, and added a dual catapult, jail with break-away wall, great hall with fireplace and table, and a stables with working gate. There are 6 minifigs included: 4 Black Falcons, and 2 Crusaders, plus there are two horses, some extra weapons, and a treasure chest. There are 2 ladders to allow minifigs to reach the walls, and they can fold up out of the way so you can reach into the interior.

Overview-6.jpg

6074.jpg

Back-right.jpg

Back-3.jpg

Left-2.jpg

Closed.jpg

Straight.jpg

Set-open2.jpg

Interior-2.jpg

Figs.jpg

See more pictures on brickbuilt

Thanks for looking, I hope you enjoyed this remake of a classic set. I admit to rigorously play testing this model :grin:

Very nice. It captures all of the detail from 6074 very nicely; right down to the little touches like the offset windows on the towers and the arch supporting the upper rooms.

My only criticism would be the use of black slopes on the crenelations; personally I think they're too dark and that Dark Bley slope would have been better.

Minor personal preferences aside this is an awesome rebuild of a classic. When people say that they want Lego to revisit the classics this is how they should do it; take the essence of the original set but use modern build techniques.

Really great work! I really need to get the original black falcons fortress. As I said on Flickr, you have my vote for lego ideas if you ever decide to put it on there. :sweet:

Really enjoyed looking at this beautiful remake. You captured the classic very well, so we'll that I want to remake a classic now! Great job!

Very nice replica of the classic!!

Do you have closer shot of the black/yellow panel? I like that part the most!

Nothing less then amazing!

Thanks Alfadas :classic:

Really nice work! :)

Thank you!

Very nice. It captures all of the detail from 6074 very nicely; right down to the little touches like the offset windows on the towers and the arch supporting the upper rooms.

My only criticism would be the use of black slopes on the crenelations; personally I think they're too dark and that Dark Bley slope would have been better.

Minor personal preferences aside this is an awesome rebuild of a classic. When people say that they want Lego to revisit the classics this is how they should do it; take the essence of the original set but use modern build techniques.

Thanks for your thoughts! I did have second thoughts about the black cheese battlements, but decided to go with them since they matched the inverted slopes used in the original :classic:

So beautiful and realistic

Thanks!

Classic, classic, classic.

Great to see this update of that famous falcon fortress!

Thank you, it was definitely a fun set to update :sweet:

Really great work! I really need to get the original black falcons fortress. As I said on Flickr, you have my vote for lego ideas if you ever decide to put it on there. :sweet:

Thanks!

Really enjoyed looking at this beautiful remake. You captured the classic very well, so we'll that I want to remake a classic now! Great job!

Thank you :blush:

Very nice replica of the classic!!

Do you have closer shot of the black/yellow panel? I like that part the most!

Thank you, does this picture help?

Hall.jpg

Awesomeness confirmed. Nice work man.

Same here. This is... perfect.

This is a great reimagining of the Black Falcon Fortress. What I really love about it is that it manages to maintain the relative scale of the original. That is the scale that should be aspired to when it comes to LEGO Ideas, and I would certainly vote if this was an option. My only complaint is the pointed roof. I prefer the original style better, it is more smooth, but you did a great job overall in updating the classic set.

Great work!

A beautiful update. I especially like the added details like the fireplace and dining corner. Makes the MOC seem so much more hospitable over a strictly functional fortress feel.

This is a great reimagining of the Black Falcon Fortress. What I really love about it is that it manages to maintain the relative scale of the original. That is the scale that should be aspired to when it comes to LEGO Ideas, and I would certainly vote if this was an option. My only complaint is the pointed roof. I prefer the original style better, it is more smooth, but you did a great job overall in updating the classic set.

Great work!

Thanks! And yeah, I would have liked to keep the original roof but didn't have the corner slopes to do it with.

A beautiful update. I especially like the added details like the fireplace and dining corner. Makes the MOC seem so much more hospitable over a strictly functional fortress feel.

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed the kitchen/hall area :sweet:

I missed out on the BF Fortress through my dark ages - so I've always quite preferred the Fantasy era and even 2013 castle than stuff prior to that (I know I know!) but this set has everything (element and design-wise) any castle builder would want. If it were real multiple purchases would be bought by myself (and no doubt many others!)

Any chance of this going on Ideas SK? I'd vote this up like a shot :D

I missed out on the BF Fortress through my dark ages - so I've always quite preferred the Fantasy era and even 2013 castle than stuff prior to that (I know I know!) but this set has everything (element and design-wise) any castle builder would want. If it were real multiple purchases would be bought by myself (and no doubt many others!)

Any chance of this going on Ideas SK? I'd vote this up like a shot :D

Thank you, and given the several requests I've received, I may indeed put it up on LEGO ideas.

I've thought about doing similar things as this. Taking an old set and rebuilding it into a new style, but keeping the charm of the original. But then my imagination gets the better of me. I end up wanting to go bigger and changing things, then it becomes a new MOC and took away the purpose of doing it. So then I end up not doing it.

But seeing this, it does look quite comparable to the original. Not to copy you, but I may have to try my hand at this afterall. Maybe I'll start with another set to space out time involving Black Falcons, but they are a favorite faction of many people.

Keep up the good work.