UrbanErwin

[MOC] BR Class 04

It has been a while, but here is my latest build

26152074465_164f9187b8_c.jpg

BR Class 04 by Erwin, on Flickr

It is a small shunter locomotive from the british rail.

26152059715_a963b868cc_c.jpg

BR Class 04 by Erwin, on Flickr

The doors are black because the needed windows would have cost me a fortune in dark green.

26126124036_1c7c8b370e_c.jpg

BR Class 04 and small train by Erwin, on Flickr

The reason I used 1X1 tiles instead of 1X2 is pure economical, the were about a third of the price, and available in a bricklink store about 15 minutes away from me.

640px-Staverton_D2246_and_Toad_68777.jpg

reference image from wikipedia.org

Thanks for reading!

Edited by UrbanErwin

Nice, is it motorized? I've never seen those wheels btw

The thing you said about the black doors begs the question?

Has anyone ever tried painting LEGO parts in official lego colours in the situation that the part in the desired colour is too expensive, too rare, or the part is not produced in that colour?

God Bless

Christ be with you all

I like BR class 04, and you've made a good job with your version.

Windows 60592 in dark green are not particulary expensive..... so I don't understand your choice for black doors.

Well the Class 04s were originally black, not green. So you could always build a back-story to explain the different colour. Something about broken doors and taking them off another loco in the old livery, perhaps.

That's a lovely little engine. I've always had a soft spot for the 04s and their brothers the 03s.

Well the Class 04s were originally black, not green. So you could always build a back-story to explain the different colour. Something about broken doors and taking them off another loco in the old livery, perhaps.

That's been known to happen:

22710146772_edbda5967f_z.jpg

The Class 04 in the first photo is used on the South Devon Railway; I saw it about a month ago. :classic:

Wonderful little shunter, very cute. It's a shame the 1×2 profile brick in dark green is so expensive, as it'd be perfect for the ventilation of the side of the body.

Not sure if I like the exhaust pipe, it looks a little flat for the height of the cab.

Great work anyway, looking forward to seeing more!

Thank you all :blush:

About motorisation, no it is not motorised but I am planning on building a boxcar to go behind it which contains a battery box and motor.

Nice, is it motorized? I've never seen those wheels btw

The thing you said about the black doors begs the question?

Has anyone ever tried painting LEGO parts in official lego colours in the situation that the part in the desired colour is too expensive, too rare, or the part is not produced in that colour?

God Bless

Christ be with you all

Thank you, the wheels came from Big Ben Bricks. I have not considered painting Lego part, mostly because I know I will not be able to deliver the quality I want.

I like BR class 04, and you've made a good job with your version.

Windows 60592 in dark green are not particulary expensive..... so I don't understand your choice for black doors.

Thank you, your dark green shunter was one of my inspirations.

In my opinion almost €3,50 per window is quite expensive, but that might be more a personal issue.

That's a lovely little engine. I've always had a soft spot for the 04s and their brothers the 03s.

Thank you, that could be a pretty nice explanation.

Wonderful little shunter, very cute. It's a shame the 1×2 profile brick in dark green is so expensive, as it'd be perfect for the ventilation of the side of the body.

Not sure if I like the exhaust pipe, it looks a little flat for the height of the cab.

Great work anyway, looking forward to seeing more!

Thank you very much, I will have a look at the exhaust pipe.

Perfect shape and amazing colors!

Top notch work (as always)! :wub:

Just one question: is it a motorized model?

Thank you very much.

In my opinion almost €3,50 per window is quite expensive, but that might be more a personal issue.

Where do you get that price? I see those windows starting at €0.27 on Bricklink:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?P=60592&colorID=80

It's a nice little loco. Lots of things you could do differently but that's the fun thing about modelling with Lego: this is your interpretation of the Class 04.

Using the tiles for the coupling rods is an interesting solution, I don't think I've seen that before.

Where do you get that price? I see those windows starting at €0.27 on Bricklink:

http://www.bricklink...0592&colorID=80

It's a nice little loco. Lots of things you could do differently but that's the fun thing about modelling with Lego: this is your interpretation of the Class 04.

Using the tiles for the coupling rods is an interesting solution, I don't think I've seen that before.

True, but I don't like the idea of ordering some €0,52 of parts on the other side of the ocean, or any other far of country, the only ones in the Netherlands are those from €3,35, which in my opnion is way too expensive.

Thank you, I am not completely satisfied with the rods, but I could not think of any better way as of now.

Cute loc

Thanks

That's fair enough. I also order the bulk of my brick needs from inside my own country.

But sometimes ordering parts from overseas is the most cost-effective option, especially if they are rare or in rare colours, and so I do sometimes place small orders from Europe or the US and Canada. So far I've only had one order from overseas go missing (from a vendor in the Netherlands, strangely), and it's still likely that orders placed in your own country could fail to arrive.

Frankly if it's just those two parts that you need, and you don't want to pay too much for them, I'd be inclined to place the order with an overseas vendor.

A very fine build (often the small builds are the hardest). While I have no complaints about the black door (the color change helps define the door after all), if you wanted a green window why not snot it like the cab window just in front of the door? From the shot of the prototype it looks like the cab window should be a little larger than the door window anyway.