Sign in to follow this  
Jacob Nion

[SR-FB3] The first settlers of Moray's Den

Log Entry, Captain Benjamin Morgan

I heard word in several pubs and taverns in Bastion, that latewards a mysterious island had been discovered south of the Nest. Rumour had it that this barely explored isle was covered with dense jungle, hiding ghastly things in its deeps. Tales of a wild people came to our ears, men who used to serve any stranger who entered the land of their gods- either boiled or raw.

But there were also rumours of large banana trees, countless springs of fresh water, fertile soil and forests filled with more game than any man could ever hunt down. Surprisingly none of the aspiring empires had claimed the land so far.

We soon came to the decision that the promises of this island were too tempting to not risk an expedition. Too late to abort the journey, at the pier we heard the name that was given to it. Isla del Diablo, Devil's Island. Unimpressed by the gossip of the sailors we set sail to unknown shores.

The sea was calm and the winds in our favour, and after one night and one day, Isla del Diablo came in sight. Although we could see the entrance to the large bay, that had recently be named "Bay of Horns", I gave order to surround the island in the hope that we would find a yet undiscovered part of the coast that was eligible for going ashore. I was in no way eager after joining the settlers that had already arrived in the bay; too soon it would be confined and cramped and well known to every man east of Terraversa.

We eventually found a small beach area in the middle of a long cliff that appeared to frame nearly all of the eastern shore. The dense jungle was perilously leaning above the cliffs, blaring out a silent threat against every intruder. Dim scrub came down to the beach reaching almost to the calm billows touching the sand.

Now it was time to release the first settlers into their uncertain fate. Even if it would emerge that this paradise really was the purgatory on our continuous way to Hades, we could at least feed on them...

26237910440_601f31c43a_b.jpg

25907903843_d7a2eeb0a0_b.jpg

Edited by Jacob Nion

Cool build, Jacob. Great vegetation and choice of minifigs. Splendid read, also.

And it looks like they are ready to populate the island pirate_laugh2.gif

See you in court pirate_wink.gif

Everything is perfect! Vivid and well written story with an Hilarious twist :laugh: The pictures accentuate the point brilliantly, and everything is well built. I have no critique. I can only say the three, the cliff, the undergrowth, beach, sea, posing, camera agnle and presentation. Well Done!

Great posing on that guy carrying the pig over! pirate_laugh_new.gif A very nice build. Especially like that rockwork, but the vegetation is great too! :thumbup:

Very jealous you guys got this island, but great to see someone starting out on it. No better way then grabbing up some dinner!

Great activity smashed into a small display. Did you build a frame/skeleton for the giant bush on the left? Or just interconnect everything and hope it stays standing?

Nice build! i love the vegetation, especially at the left side, and minifig posing is great as well

pir_laugh2.gif Great minifig posing and expressions, JN, and neat landscaping as well! pirate_wink.gif Let's just hope there aren't any of those natives who are just too willing to serve visitors around too close! pirate_laugh_new.gif

*BURP* What settlers? You should know that Corlanders love pork... pirate_tong.gifpirate_laugh2.gif

GReat idea for a build - I wonder what the effect of those pigs will be - they are really efficient at keeping an area for turning into forest, I believe, but have no clue what will happen if there is already trees. Perhaps the population will explode? pirate_laugh2.gif

I love that guy wading through the surf carrying the pig - brilliantly done!

As always, the rest is excellent too.

I like the smooth transition from wet sand to dry sand and the waves gently crashing on the beach. I can totally imagine the splashing sounds the characters make as they wade through the last few meters of water before coming ashore. The whole scene feels really alive and the vibrant tree adds a great splash of color to the scene.

A very nice build. Excellent representation of the first settlers just setting down. The vegetation is great as is the sand.

I have no idea how that sailor is managing to carry a pig. Even if he can handle the weight, isn't the pig going to be squirming too much for the sailor to keep his balancepirate_laugh2.gif?

Lots of piggies :-) But I really like that rock, those bushes and great water too! Looking forward to your future installments on the island.

A really cool scene and great presentation! As mentioned the minifig poses are superb!

The water is excellent here. Especially the guy standing in the water just feels super realistc like that. Great job.

I really like both the beach and the vegetation as well.

This is a nice landing scene, even if the description sounds a bit ominous. The beach, the water, the vegetation - all of them look great. But attempting to carry a pig through the churning surf sounds rather interesting, entertaining even (for any bystanders...) Overall this is a good way to show the settlers getting started.

Cool build, Jacob. Great vegetation and choice of minifigs. Splendid read, also.

And it looks like they are ready to populate the island pirate_laugh2.gif

See you in court pirate_wink.gif

Thanks KB

Everything is perfect! Vivid and well written story with an Hilarious twist :laugh: The pictures accentuate the point brilliantly, and everything is well built. I have no critique. I can only say the three, the cliff, the undergrowth, beach, sea, posing, camera agnle and presentation. Well Done!

Thank you very much! It's always hard for me to write outdated english to sound like a 18th century pirate.

Great posing on that guy carrying the pig over! pirate_laugh_new.gif A very nice build. Especially like that rockwork, but the vegetation is great too! :thumbup:

Thanks!

Very jealous you guys got this island, but great to see someone starting out on it. No better way then grabbing up some dinner!

Great activity smashed into a small display. Did you build a frame/skeleton for the giant bush on the left? Or just interconnect everything and hope it stays standing?

Thank you, there's indeed abranchwood under it. Mainly brown axle connectors

Nice build! i love the vegetation, especially at the left side, and minifig posing is great as well

pir_laugh2.gif Great minifig posing and exp<b></b>ressions, JN, and neat landscaping as well! pirate_wink.gif Let's just hope there aren't any of those natives who are just too willing to serve visitors around too close! pirate_laugh_new.gif

Thank you guys.

*BURP* What settlers? You should know that Corlanders love pork... pirate_tong.gifpirate_laugh2.gif

GReat idea for a build - I wonder what the effect of those pigs will be - they are really efficient at keeping an area for turning into forest, I believe, but have no clue what will happen if there is already trees. Perhaps the population will explode? pirate_laugh2.gif

I love that guy wading through the surf carrying the pig - brilliantly done!

As always, the rest is excellent too.

Thanks! I hope it will explode, my settlement will definitely and soon need supplies.

I like the smooth transition from wet sand to dry sand and the waves gently crashing on the beach. I can totally imagine the splashing sounds the characters make as they wade through the last few meters of water before coming ashore. The whole scene feels really alive and the vibrant tree adds a great splash of color to the scene.

Thank you very much. I wanted to try some new water technique with the 1x1 round plates, something different than just throwing them in losely.

A very nice build. Excellent representation of the first settlers just setting down. The vegetation is great as is the sand.

I have no idea how that sailor is managing to carry a pig. Even if he can handle the weight, isn't the pig going to be squirming too much for the sailor to keep his balancepirate_laugh2.gif?

My men are tough and seaworthy :)

Nice landscaping! And one can never go wrong with using LEGO animals in his build!!

Thanks, haha, I guess piggies are my fvourite lego animal so far. But I wished there would be some sort of game from lego.

Fine scene, water looks good - and I like the piggy in the middle.

pirate_laugh_new.gif

Ahoy captain! Thank you!

Lots of piggies :-) But I really like that rock, those bushes and great water too! Looking forward to your future installments on the island.

Yep I can't wait to moc some actual structures.

A really cool scene and great presentation! As mentioned the minifig poses are superb!

The water is excellent here. Especially the guy standing in the water just feels super realistc like that. Great job.

I really like both the beach and the vegetation as well.

Thank you!

This is a nice landing scene, even if the description sounds a bit ominous. The beach, the water, the vegetation - all of them look great. But attempting to carry a pig through the churning surf sounds rather interesting, entertaining even (for any bystanders...) Overall this is a good way to show the settlers getting started.

Thanks Cap. My inspiration in general was the fact that it was a common naval strategy to set out pigs on islands to have an ongoing food ssupply. The hunt for those pigs was a reason why the real historic buccaneers became excellent sharpshooters. And as you probably know, the word buccaneer refers to the native's word for the wooden grill on which the pigs were roasted.

This scene looks truly amazing! The colours suit nicely and I love the camera angles. It really makes it come alive, despite being its small size. Or because of? After all, its very well arranged and dense in its amount of detail. Wonderful pirate_classic.gif