Sign in to follow this  
Logan McOwen

MOCs: Ekimu the Mask Maker - Both forms

Ekimu the Mask Maker

25877900823_f8470b5bcc_c.jpg

My take on both forms of Ekimu the Mask Maker, a coveted character of G2 Bionicle lore.

Okotan form

Ekimu's normal size. This model is designed with his appearance in the 2015 webisodes in mind, with no gearbox so as to be in-keeping with the style of building used with the Protectors, and also to mimic his character model in BIONICLE: Mask of Creation.

26480643745_bc0378c510_c.jpg

Pose, Hammer raised

26414528381_b2ede51ec2_c.jpg

Front

25877788893_09b802d675_c.jpg

Back

26207776840_491175ce5d_c.jpg

Pose, Attacking with burial mask

26480637985_8c8c0b6d2a_c.jpg

Pose, Blocking with shield

25877807623_7a66c37959_c.jpg

Skeleton, Shoulder build

Toa Form

This model is my take on the upcoming Ekimu set for 2016, which is designed to negate the factors of the set's design that I am displeased with (the stud shooter-less hammer, the overuse of trans. light blue and the use of the 2016 Toa torso shell). Both faces of his hammer can be fired independently, and the hammer's head rotates at the base. The hammer is also intended to either be held in both of Ekimu's hands for sideways swinging, or just the one so it can be swung up and down.

26388400652_7088516da7_c.jpg

Pose

26414578051_b48cd6e730_c.jpg

Front

25875849214_38909c2013_c.jpg

Back

25875867434_e41c8be7a8_c.jpg

Front, in burial mask

26454806566_4073eba95d_c.jpg

Pose, Hammer raised

26454782186_95efd7f60d_c.jpg

Detail, Ammo reel

26480710925_599b8703a6_c.jpg

Detail, Gearbox

26414610091_260cf15fbe_c.jpg

Skeleton, Upper body

25877912413_6388b9facb_c.jpg

Skeleton, Hammer

Edited by Logan McOwen

Very interesting MOCs. The upside down shoulder pads give him some thickness and so does the small back part. The 2016 form would be a great replace. Just one nitpick: In Ekimu16 in his pose picture, his legs seem unarmored compared to the rest of the body. Same thing in Pose, Hammer Raised, except his arm looks underarmored. Other than that, great MOCs!

Edited by Anthony12901

Your version of Ekimu's 2016 form is easily superior to LEGO's. The Okotoan version though... it's alright, but IMO LEGO's version has better proportion and color choice.

Both look great, but I'm not so sure about the 2016 one's hammer. One thing I'd sujest is making the inner parts solid and having the shooter itself rotate more freely, so it looks like a sturdier hammerhead while retaining the function.

Gold bohrok eyes for the hammer perhaps?

But about the figure, posing goes a long way and neither does this Ekimu's or the actual one on display have their pauldrons posed to have more filling look.

I dunno. These are both solid MOCs—don't get me wrong—but I feel like your upgraded Ekimu suffers even more from a problem this summer's version does: there's just not enough about him that's genuinely new. And I don't just mean in terms of new parts, but rather that he is still basically Ekimu, but bigger. Contrast that with this year's Toa, who are still recognizable yet change up their armor styles, weapons, and color schemes dramatically.

Among other things, I still wish the summer Ekimu featured the Vorox armor in gold. It would have been a wonderful way of tying him in with the new Toa (more than half of whom use that part), and added much more variety to his appearance than the reuse of the same sorts of Trans. Light Blue shells and gold Chima armor that defined Ekimu's 2015 look. :sceptic:

Edited by Lyichir

I dunno. These are both solid MOCs—don't get me wrong—but I feel like your upgraded Ekimu suffers even more from a problem this summer's version does: there's just not enough about him that's genuinely new. And I don't just mean in terms of new parts, but rather that he is still basically Ekimu, but bigger. Contrast that with this year's Toa, who are still recognizable yet change up their armor styles, weapons, and color schemes dramatically.

Among other things, I still wish the summer Ekimu featured the Vorox armor in gold. It would have been a wonderful way of tying him in with the new Toa (more than half of whom use that part), and added much more variety to his appearance than the reuse of the same sorts of Trans. Light Blue shells and gold Chima armor that defined Ekimu's 2015 look. :sceptic:

Is there a recolored Vorox armor in gold?

Edited by Anthony12901

Sorry if I'm bumping an old topic, but can you help me figure out how you got that chest piece for your version of Ekimu's Toa form if possible? I really liked it more than the chest piece that came with the actual set also and tried looking for it myself. Unfortunately though I wasn't able to find it on it's own, nor could I find which set it came from. And if the blue round piece it has is separate, can you let me know which set it came from also if possible?

Edited by Alexander71

Sorry if I'm bumping an old topic, but can you help me figure out how you got that chest piece for your version of Ekimu's Toa form if possible? I really liked it more than the chest piece that came with the actual set also and tried looking for it myself. Unfortunately though I wasn't able to find it on it's own, nor could I find which set it came from. And if the blue round piece it has is separate, can you let me know which set it came from also if possible?

It was released in the Lego Chima CCBS figures from 2014. You probably can't find it because these sets where not released in the USA. Here is a link to the part on Bricklink.