Sign in to follow this  
dulsi

[WIP] M-Tron Enterprise

1460945977m_DISPLAY.jpg

After I saw Octus Deborge's Classic Space Star Trek ships on mocpages, I wanted to use my M-Tron pieces to do something similar. I really should do a different group than Federation but I wanted to build an Enterprise. Unfortunately I've run out of pieces in the right color at the moment. It's not as big as I would like. I have the Kre-O Enterprise and I wanted my M-Tron version to be as big but it isn't currently.

14609459781_DISPLAY.jpg

I thought the big transparent piece from the M-Tron Mega Core Magnetizer would be good for the saucer section. Right now it is using the exact same connection method as that Lego set. I simple wasn't sure how to attach the thing. I may redesign it latter.

14609460181_DISPLAY.jpg

14609460182_DISPLAY.jpg

14609460193_DISPLAY.jpg

This is the first nacelle. I don't have the pieces to build the second. It has an opening like the Kre-O ship mainly because I wanted to use the hinge piece.

14609461701_DISPLAY.jpg

14609462701_DISPLAY.jpg

14609462712_DISPLAY.jpg

14609462713_DISPLAY.jpg

I decided to put aside the vision in my head. Instead I focused on using the pieces I had. After some trial and error, I finished the saucer section. For the transparent cockpit piece, how it is connected has remained the same as Lego's design. I just don't have a better idea for attaching it.

The second nacelle was much harder because I liked the finished design of the first one. I put together every I could but still only had a skeleton of the nacelle. I eventually removed some of red pieces inside the bottom hull on the ship that can't be seen. The nacelle is currently missing four visible pieces (although two pieces I do have are not attached).

1461643121m_DISPLAY.jpg

14616431221_DISPLAY.jpg

14616431222_DISPLAY.jpg

14616431233_DISPLAY.jpg

Nice improvements. That large transparency looks tricky to build around.

It is. Your comment led me to wonder what other MOCs have done with it. Searching for M-Tron, I found a drilling machine using it and a ship or two. Rebrickable doesn't having any MOCs using it. But it did show me that it comes in more colors. Still not used in MOCs. All the other sets use it as a building piece. I didn't even realize that was the purpose of the piece.

If you manage to use that huge window piece, that would be really impressive and make for an awesome MOC. I can't wait to see what you do with this!

It's great to see what the Enterprise would look like as an M-Tron ship. Fantastic concept! That window does look tricky to use. Glad you got it in there - it finishes the piece really well.

Very nice progress! The ship certainly goes into the right direction. For the gondolas I would try technic-parts and would in general experiment with the snot technique to create panels, radiators and such, I would also reduce the height of the saucer-section. It appears to me higher than it needs to be. That would give the front a more sleek appearance too. And maybe consider grey floor plating for the bridge too, to visually set it apart from the walls? or maybe a combination grey/red fields?

This project wakes so many ideas... just great :classic:

The design is now up on rebrickable. It's just the mpd file instead of a nice pdf or series of pictures. I see too many flaws in the current design to build better instructions. I've been thinking of rebuilding it at double the size. That might allow the large windshield piece to be used without the saucer section being so bulbous. Ideally I'd like the top of saucer removable instead of opening up like the current design. Been wondering how many M:Tron magnets would be needed to secure the top like that.

Littleworlds: Thanks for the suggestion on the grey floor plating on the bridge. I'll have to give that a try.