Sign in to follow this  
raarghh

The life span of sets.

Hey. Is there a way to see how long a set is planned to be in production/how long a set has left in production or the official date when a set is discontinued?

For each set, it's different. There are generalizations for each type of set though:

For limited edition/store exclusive sets (Anakin's Custom Jedi Starfigher, Deep Sea Operations Base, City of Stiix, Pop Star Limo) They typically last around a year at maximum, unless they are slow sellers.

Regular retail sets last about a year-and-a-half. This again depends on sales of the product.

Exclusives (most D2Cs, Ideas) that sell at a moderate pace last about two years at minimum. If they really don't sell well or sell just enough to survive, they me around longer.

Exclusives that really sell well (modulars, Death Star) have no determinable date.

Now there are online storefronts too, which extend the life of most product beyond these generalizations.

I also feel as if I missed something as well, and do keep in mind, again, that these are generalizations. The lifespans of these sets simply depend on the set you are looking at.

Edited by Penkid11

Thanks for your thoughts, I didnt have any particular set in mind and thought maybe theres a website or some info from Lego ☺

Best to buy sets ASAP...
Not really. Actually it is always better wait about a year since release (that's for Technic), when discount is the most.

I wait for discounts or double VIP for most sets. The only sets I've truly missed out on we're the early Cuusoo/Idea sets but those were produced in smaller numbers. Generally, you have at least a year for the average licensed set and longer for non-licensed.

Best to buy sets ASAP...

Depends on what kind of sets, how badly you want it and how thick is your wallet. :classic: