Capt Wolf

[ESL-Culture] Chapel de San Terreli

After Eslandolan explorer Cato Calrelli returned with news that he had discovered an island east of Terraversa, a handful of adventurous colonists sailed to the island of Nellisa and established the settlement of Nova Terreli on its northwestern coast. One of the first permanent structures these early settlers built was a church.

01exterior.jpg

The structure features buttressed walls, arched windows along the sides, inset statuettes flanking the entrance, round windows high at both ends, a traditional clay tile roof, and a bell tower.

Only large enough to accommodate a dozen people at most, Nova Terreli soon outgrew the small structure. That old church is now known as the Chapel de San Terreli, and it is still used today for small weddings and other gatherings. Officials still keep the building and grounds well maintained.

04interior.jpg

05interior.jpg

The chapel is an important cultural icon for the citizens of Nova Terreli as both a religious structure and a reminder of the settlement’s roots.

06happy.jpg

Here are a couple of additional architectural shots:

02front.jpg

03side.jpg

Neat build! I like the favt that you included an interior, and your roof looks pretty good. Is that Found Window brickbuilt?

Great build at first sight, really fitting into Nova Terreli. The baseplate seems a bit flat and empty, but on the other hand it's the lawn in front of a chapel, so why not?

At second sight there are many great details and inspiring techniques. The way you attached the roof from both the interior as well as with the small white slopes stands out. The mini-minifigs in the front are a nice addition; actually all the front is.

Bell and tower roof are also really well done. My favourite part is the round windows, the way you integrated them with upside-down arches and just how you built them overall (which I couldn't figure out entirely yet).

Really just a great build overall. Love it.

Storywise I would love to have some more background on what the church is used for? Is it an assembly hall for weddings etc.? Or are people actually performing some kind of religion here?

And of course: Some well deserved money from the city treasury of Nova Terreli - everyone else please feel free to claim your prize money as well.

Edited by Elostirion

Much needed piece of infrastructure in Nova Terreli. And it really is quite fitting to have the church that small! Anyway, good job on it!

Great looking little chapel - I really like the buttressed walls and the "semi-tower" (As you can't really climb it on the inside) for the bells - reminds me of several small churches in Catalonia. (Although they were often in raw stone.)

The whitewashed walls and the inclusion of a full interior is great.

My only concern is that Eslandola too will fall to the crutches of Religion! pirate_tong.gif Of course, the alter may just be a chest of gold - One never knows! pirate_laugh_new.gif

Excellent build, it really reminds me of some of the old Spanish missions in Latin America. The statues by the entrance and the stained-glass window above the door are great details, and the round window in the rear of the church has a really clever design.

Great MOC! This is a serious case study for me and as others said, the way the roof is standing is genius and quite real. I also like that it has space for interior building.

This is a lovely little chapel, Capt Wolf pirate_classic.gif

I'm really fond of your roof construction, and the colors you used.

This fits Nova Terreli like a charm.

Keep it up!

Very neat little chapel, the roof looks great and so does the steeple. I really like the round window at the back too! :thumbup:

Very nice building from the exterior, Capt. Wolf, but the interior really is what stands out! pirate_satisfied.gif Brilliant round window, and that roof and you technique for supporting it are of course excellent as well! pirate_wink.gif:thumbup:

Such a pretty church. The colours are perfect and I really like the round windows. Who was getting married?

Thanks to everyone for the comments! This was a fun little build that basically came together in a weekend. I had to tear apart another build to have the white pieces for it, and that roof is becoming well travelled as I tweak it from build to build. The build really came together when I figured out how to do the round windows.

Neat build! I like the fact that you included an interior, and your roof looks pretty good. Is that Round Window brickbuilt?

The large round window uses two new rounded window top pieces, one balancing on the other. The bottom half of the wall is an upside down arch, and I use tiles so it fits securely. The small round window uses the same arch technique, but is filled by a 2x2 trans-blue round brick.

Very good - great how you placed the roof, I mean, how it is supported by the interior.

Thanks! I was happy with how the rafters turned out. They really aren't needed to support the roof, but the interior needed the detail.

Great build at first sight, really fitting into Nova Terreli. The baseplate seems a bit flat and empty, but on the other hand it's the lawn in front of a chapel, so why not?

At second sight there are many great details and inspiring techniques. The way you attached the roof from both the interior as well as with the small white slopes stands out. The mini-minifigs in the front are a nice addition; actually all the front is.

Bell and tower roof are also really well done. My favourite part is the round windows, the way you integrated them with upside-down arches and just how you built them overall (which I couldn't figure out entirely yet).

Really just a great build overall. Love it.

Storywise I would love to have some more background on what the church is used for? Is it an assembly hall for weddings etc.? Or are people actually performing some kind of religion here?

And of course: Some well deserved money from the city treasury of Nova Terreli - everyone else please feel free to claim your prize money as well.

I wanted to make sure it fit with Nova Terreli's architecture, so I'm glad you approve!

My initial plan was to build it on a small hill and have the stone path circle around to the side as it descended, but I just didn't have the pieces to make it look good, so I kept it flat instead.

As for church background, it would have been a regular full-service church in its early days, with services for the Royal Church of Eslandola (or whatever Eslandolans worship other than doubloons!), but it no longer holds regular services, the congregation having built/moved to a larger building. Now the chapel is non-denominational and can be rented for use by anyone. Weddings and other small private ceremonies are most common.

Excellent build, it really reminds me of some of the old Spanish missions in Latin America. The statues by the entrance and the stained-glass window above the door are great details, and the round window in the rear of the church has a really clever design.

My main inspirations were old Spanish missions I have visited in the Southwest U.S. The statues by the entrance were a must, and one of the first parts I designed.

Such a pretty church. The colours are perfect and I really like the round windows. Who was getting married?

I'm not sure who's getting married, but that groom barely looks old enough to shave! I imagine he just signed up with a trade company and they've hurried to marry before he ships off. Regarding where the pieces come from, I love using that pirate torso as Eslandolan formal attire, and the bride is the Lion Princess from the castle line from a few years ago.

Thanks again to everyone for the comments. Glad to know the interior details were appreciated!

Very beautifull small church!!

The stained glass is very well done!