(FB2, Eslandola, April 2016)

Alberto da Pontelli was carrying out his experiments in the basement of his house, which functioned as his laboratory.

26437767346_afc160bcab_c.jpg

He was experimenting with the hot phlogiston that was created by setting fire to what came out of a good bottle of old Oleon wine.

He thought that this would be enough to make some old cotton underskirt fly (which he had borrowed from his fiancé).

26463695775_d7d206c826_c.jpg

It worked! "It flyeth, it flyeth", Alberto exclaimed.

"The ball of cotton flyeth".

25860859403_9d7d007255_c.jpg

He and Natasha were delighted as the cotton-structure (weighted by a stick) hit the ceiling.

25860854283_e05ea673b3_z.jpg

.. and they were too happy and distracted to notice other, less important events in the laboratory.

(Where would this invention [named: "The flying ball of cotton"] lead him? :pir-grin::pir-laugh: )

C&C welcome!

pirate_laugh_new.gif Nice work! Cool to see more scientific builds! :thumbup:

Wonder what the future of this invention will be? pirate_laugh2.gif

That topped-over bottle is soooo Nice! Great idea, lovely executed. I like your roof.

Great build Captain Braunsfeld !

The concept of Mongolfiere is exactly fitting in the time period and you realised a good MOC to demonstrate the theory of that concept.

Good job !

I hope that clumsy monkey will be punished to have destroyed a probably precious potion !

I am asking where that will lead your character. (Surely up in the sky :p)

That's a typical Braunsfeld! Amusing, lovely and full of creativity. Just reading the title gave me a laugh and a slight feel of what I would look at. Love your choice of faces for this. And of course there's a banana!

Haha, Wine from Oleon is good for all sorts of things pirate_wink.gif

The monkey certainly has some good use for this invention. I'm just saying bananas!

Don't let the chicken get it, though... it's not gonna end well pirate_laugh2.gif

Lovely build, captain, lots of details, and I love the wall design.

Excellent build, Captain B, and the story is absolutely awesome as well! pir_laugh2.gifdefault_rofl.gif All the details around the room are great, but some of my favorites are the instrument extracting the phlogiston from the bottle, the tilted potion, and that superb bust/hat display! default_wubnew.gif Oh, and the monkey of course! default_laugh_new.gif

Also, there seems to be a letter from someone here for you, eh, ha ha, here it is!

Having heard of your remarkable sucess in the area of the use of phlogiston to elevate a weighted matterial of cotton previously used as a - in short, as a skirt, I have been almost led to reconsider my thoughts and make your worthy self the mayor of the prosperous settlement of Eslandola and the ETWC - in short, of Pontelli - instead of that honorable Colonel Brickinson - though of course, he would be left to do all the work anyhow.

It is my hope that this dispatch my reach you before you have blown your house to bits and pieces, but if not, bon voyage!

E. T. Wilkinson de Chauncourtois

Great build. This really ties in nicely with your chicken aviation series in the Special Themes forum. So that's how the chickens learned about ballooning. :laugh:

pirate_laugh_new.gif Nice work! Cool to see more scientific builds! :thumbup:

Wonder what the future of this invention will be? pirate_laugh2.gif

Thanks - I also do not have the faintest idea pirate_laugh_new.gif

That topped-over bottle is soooo Nice! Great idea, lovely executed. I like your roof.

The bottle was included in the last minute. pirate_satisfied.gif

Ahahahaha! Happy times with Physics! Nice little laboratory you've got there!

Maybe we can turn lead into gold too!

Great build Captain Braunsfeld !

The concept of Mongolfiere is exactly fitting in the time period and you realised a good MOC to demonstrate the theory of that concept.

Good job !

I hope that clumsy monkey will be punished to have destroyed a probably precious potion !

I am asking where that will lead your character. (Surely up in the sky :p)

Not sure whether it was the monkey or not. pirate_laugh2.gif

The character ... will probably be involved in deep-sea-diving activities pirate_laugh_new.gif

That's a typical Braunsfeld! Amusing, lovely and full of creativity. Just reading the title gave me a laugh and a slight feel of what I would look at. Love your choice of faces for this. And of course there's a banana!

pirate_wink.gif Thanks!

Haha, Wine from Oleon is good for all sorts of things pirate_wink.gif

The monkey certainly has some good use for this invention. I'm just saying bananas!

Don't let the chicken get it, though... it's not gonna end well pirate_laugh2.gif

Lovely build, captain, lots of details, and I love the wall design.

Good - somebody mentioned the wall design! Thanks!

Excellent build, Captain B, and the story is absolutely awesome as well! pir_laugh2.gifdefault_rofl.gif All the details around the room are great, but some of my favorites are the instrument extracting the phlogiston from the bottle, the tilted potion, and that superb bust/hat display! default_wubnew.gif Oh, and the monkey of course! default_laugh_new.gif

Also, there seems to be a letter from someone here for you, eh, ha ha, here it is!

Having heard of your remarkable sucess in the area of the use of phlogiston to elevate a weighted matterial of cotton previously used as a - in short, as a skirt, I have been almost led to reconsider my thoughts and make your worthy self the mayor of the prosperous settlement of Eslandola and the ETWC - in short, of Pontelli - instead of that honorable Colonel Brickinson - though of course, he would be left to do all the work anyhow.

It is my hope that this dispatch my reach you before you have blown your house to bits and pieces, but if not, bon voyage!

E. T. Wilkinson de Chauncourtois

Dear E.T. Wilkonson de Chauncourtois,

I am delighted to have received your kind letter.

Very happily I will accept.

Yours,

Alberto da Pontelli

Great build. This really ties in nicely with your chicken aviation series in the Special Themes forum. So that's how the chickens learned about ballooning. :laugh:

Amazing how this all fits together pirate_laugh_new.gifpirate_laugh2.gifpir_laugh2.gif

Dear Señor da Pontelli,

News have reached me of your recent work in the study of hot air, and rumour has it you have discovered a way to make inanimate objects fly! Can such a marble be true? Shall we no longer be doomed to keep our feet on solid ground? Oh, the opportunities!

While I am no expert in the physics, I will follow developments closely, and should hope to be allowed a demonstration, if ever I am to call at Pontelli.(?)

Should it suit you to do so, I am certain the scientific community in Corrington would much appreciate a paper on your findings.

With great admiration

Don Isaac Montoya

Chairman

The Society of Natural Philosophy

New World Branch

_____

Great looking laboratory! The idea of introducing hot air flight is brilliant, and I can't wait to see his next steps! I will echo the others that the amount of details is fantastic, and that the building itself is very nice too.

Will this be licensed as a scientific/educational facility? pirate_blush.gif

Wonderful small build, and a great idea.

Now get it going and make your invention big!

I will ... time takes time pirate_wink.gif

Dear Señor da Pontelli,

News have reached me of your recent work in the study of hot air, and rumour has it you have discovered a way to make inanimate objects fly! Can such a marble be true? Shall we no longer be doomed to keep our feet on solid ground? Oh, the opportunities!

While I am no expert in the physics, I will follow developments closely, and should hope to be allowed a demonstration, if ever I am to call at Pontelli.(?)

Should it suit you to do so, I am certain the scientific community in Corrington would much appreciate a paper on your findings.

With great admiration

Don Isaac Montoya

Chairman

The Society of Natural Philosophy

New World Branch

26486652145_391d77bd27_z.jpg

(Alberto is scribbling eagerly...)

Dear Don Isaac Montoya,

I feel honoured that news of my modest scientific experimentations have made their way to The Society of Natural Philosophy.

And I can say that it is true: The power of phlogiston is able to lift objects into the air. The ball of cotton is able to carry they weight of a coconut!

I am sure that - given a larger apparatus - it will be possible to also lift boxes and chests, which would mean a great relief for all workers in the harbour and other places.

I have enclosed a paper that captures the key elements of my findings.

Should your travels bring you near the city of Pontelli, I would be more than happy to have you as my guest and to demonstrate the apparatus (it flyeth!).

Best regards

Alberto da Pontelli

Great looking laboratory! The idea of introducing hot air flight is brilliant, and I can't wait to see his next steps! I will echo the others that the amount of details is fantastic, and that the building itself is very nice too.

Will this be licensed as a scientific/educational facility? pirate_blush.gif

Thanks - I need to calculate my current assets and then it would be a good addition to the city of Pontelli!

pirate_satisfied.gif

Very interesting build! I particularly like the dripping chemicals!

Very interesting build! I particularly like the dripping chemicals!

Thanks pirate_satisfied.gif

Cool basement, can't wait to see where this story goes.

Well, one thing that is happening is the letter to a fellow scientist.

And the rest is still to be built! pirate_laugh2.gif

Dear Señor da Pontelli,

Your paper has reached us and been reviewed by several members with great interest, and I can tell you that it has sparked some degree of controversy - to achieve flight is almost unbelievable! To think we might not anymore be chained to the ground!

It is my great honour to bring you this invitation to present, and hopefully demonstrate, your findings before the Royal Society of Natural Philosophy. Barring complete failure, this will constitute your inaugural presentation as a fellow of the Society, and will be attended by as many members as is practically possible, especially considering the fascinating and controversial subject of your work.

I should like to invite you to hold your presentation in King's Harbour, where most of the current members are currently located. However, our facilities here are close to non-existing, so should you prefer more civilised conditions, I might suggest Arlinsport, where members of the Old and New World Branches often convene.

Sincerely,

Don Isaac Montoya

Chairman & Fellow

New World Branch

Royal Society of Natural Philosophy

Dear Senor Montoya,

my heart is filled with deepest joy at receiving your kind letter.

So far I have just managed to have a water bucket flying but I hope that soon

My experiments have turned out well and I am more than happy to meet you in Arlinsport to demonstrate my findings.

At this point I can already tell you that not only Oleon wine can be used for the production of phlogiston but also the extracts of rat liver (which is a lot cheaper).

If my latest experiment had not caught fire, I would

I am preparing my journey to Arlinsport as soon as possible and am looking forward to meet the high esteemed fellows of the Royal Society of Natural Philosophy.

Yours faithfully

Ulberto Alberto da Pontelli

(He was a bit nervous when he wrote this pirate_laugh2.gif )

Dear Senor Montoya,

my heart is filled with deepest joy at receiving your kind letter.

So far I have just managed to have a water bucket flying but I hope that soon

My experiments have turned out well and I am more than happy to meet you in Arlinsport to demonstrate my findings.

At this point I can already tell you that not only Oleon wine can be used for the production of phlogiston but also the extracts of rat liver (which is a lot cheaper).

If my latest experiment had not caught fire, I would

I am preparing my journey to Arlinsport as soon as possible and am looking forward to meet the high esteemed fellows of the Royal Society of Natural Philosophy.

Yours faithfully

Ulberto Alberto da Pontelli

(He was a bit nervous when he wrote this pirate_laugh2.gif )

default_laugh_new.gifdefault_roflmao.gifdefault_iamded_lol.png

Well, he shouldn't get on Wilkinson for not spelling his name correctly anymore if he can't spell it himself! default_rofl.gif Congrats on the opportunity to join the society anyhow!

On May 5th 616 Alberto da Pontelli was received by the Royal Society of Natural Philosophers to demonstrate his experimental results.

A painting was made on the event:

26796290226_c600caa299_c.jpg

The "painting" is neat and the build is a really nice laboratory - but I must confess I'd never heard of phlogiston or the associated theories before (hey, they don't teach superseded theories where I come from...)

It's a nicely detailed build with lovely colors and of course the money monkey is noted. The spiral staircase looks really good in this setting - better than those parts usually look. I like that this is part of the house; it's a good way of building larger interior scenes without having to build a huge house or mansion to start with.

This whole affair has made for an interesting read... :classic:

The "painting" is neat and the build is a really nice laboratory - but I must confess I'd never heard of phlogiston or the associated theories before (hey, they don't teach superseded theories where I come from...)

It's a nicely detailed build with lovely colors and of course the money monkey is noted. The spiral staircase looks really good in this setting - better than those parts usually look. I like that this is part of the house; it's a good way of building larger interior scenes without having to build a huge house or mansion to start with.

This whole affair has made for an interesting read... :classic:

"Phlogiston" is actually what early scientists thought would be created during combustion. That was before they worked out the aspects of atoms and molecules, etc.

The spiral staircase is a troublesome thing, usually it does not fit in anywhere pirate_laugh_new.gif