Joemmo

[MOC] Microfighter First Order Transport

Hi

Although a bit less spectacular than many (most) of the efforts on here I thought I’d post the first of a couple of recent projects for people to see and comment on.

I know they divide opinion but I’m a big fan of the Microfighter range. I like the fun style, the playability, the low(ish) price and the Star Wars-ness of course. As a result I’ve collected 12 of them - all the OT sets and a few from the prequels and the most recent 2 from Episode 7

It was a little disappointing to only get 2 TFA Microfighters but as the theme has sets of opposing pairs and Episode 7 didn’t really give the Resistance a lot of new craft, the designers hands were a bit tied. Anyway, long story short: I designed a couple more in LDD, prototyped them from our box of bricks and BrickOwled the parts - and here is the first one.

Briefly, the aim was to keep to the scale and design ethos of the Microfighter theme so they had to:

• Be no bigger than 12 studs in the longest dimension
  • Be robust enough for swooshing about
  • Have space for a mini-fig
  • Have flick missiles or a stud shooter
  • Have around 100 parts max (hmm..)

Here then, is my First Order Troop Transport Microfighter.

26177478840_29ca4ffca4_b.jpg

26384096511_61c7c6a342_b.jpg

This one went through a load of iterations and build methods until I settled on an almost all plate-built design. Initially I tried making it big enough to sit a mini-fig inside but it was just too bloated looking so the compromise is that you can at least fit one in lying down and shut the ramp. It also wasn’t possible to fit a pilot in the control tower so I went for a gunner position instead and added a hatch. I tried to add a swivel for the shooter but it was getting too tall and cluttered on the top so settled for a fixed gun. Again, the fig sits a bit high but it’s OK. Buildwise it's really solid and quite heavy, just needs a little mod to the ramp hinge to make it more durable and it'll be done.

26424357836_f750f73d4c_b.jpg

Details I like - the engines, the ramp and the overall shape which is close enough to be recognisable within the style. Less successful - I completely blew the parts count at 141 although a lot of those are small pieces. It just wasn’t possible to get a pleasing rendition that wasn’t a solid block so from that perspective it was a bit of a failure. It's kind of in the right scale but its a bit chunkier next to other Microfighters - more like Battlepack scale, or Micro + or something. Regardless though, it looks quite funny with a group of troopers spilling out, like a cross between the Tardis and a clown’s car and I'm pleased with it.

26384168011_bd307e1b8e_b.jpg

That’s about it so here’s a few more photos to wrap up. Comments and critiques welcome

Cheers

Joe

26357976032_7e8f92f46a_b.jpg

26424445796_0ee992703f_b.jpg

26384002441_79f1700fb2_b.jpg

26177343600_b2ccc03465_b.jpg

This is amazing! It looks like an official set, and if it were, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I also love how the top can open up to sit a minifig in it. (P.S. I really like that gun that the Heavy Artillery Stormtrooper is using)

Edited by PickleManDan

Thanks for the kind comments, glad you like it. Yes it is a bit big for a Microfighter, mostly in volume rather than dimensions but its not too far off...

25863341714_85936abea4_b.jpg

Here's the LXF file if anyone wants to take a look at the build or replicate it:

https://drive.google...OV9HZF9XN0hRNTQ

it looks great in line with the other micro fighters

Haha, very nice. I think respective Lego designer will have hard time not copying your version once he get's the task to execute this one :D I wouldn't complain though.

thanks - good luck to them though. It wouldn't be easy losing 30% of the parts to keep to the price point.

One thing I learned doing this is how difficult it must be for the designers to work with tight part counts on the smaller sets, especially where they are licenced and the have to represent the source design credibly. Much easier if it's a theme where you can modify the design to match the number of allowed parts.

Edited by Joemmo

thanks - good luck to them though. It wouldn't be easy losing 30% of the parts to keep to the price point.

One thing I learned doing this is how difficult it must be for the designers to work with tight part counts on the smaller sets, especially where they are licenced and the have to represent the source design credibly. Much easier if it's a theme where you can modify the design to match the number of allowed parts.

I like your build and think your dimensions (length and width) are well within the range of other MFs but I suspect that any future official Microfighter would be 1-2 studs shorter in height and that might reduce the piece count.

Man I love this so much! The transport has really grown on me I have to say, used to think it looked like a flying brick. The way you've included a functional hatch and ramp, awesome! I'm definitely going to try to build one of these suckers!

Hey, really pleased you like it. If you do build one, please post up a photo here. You should be able to extract a parts list from the lxf file, if not I can upload one.

The original ship design is pretty brutal but I like it, it looks fit for purpose.

Edited by Joemmo

Merci beaucoup Bricks Feeder :) 

I was hoping to see the troop transport used again in TLJ but it only really appeared in a couple of shots (no spoilers). Having seen the new series of Microfighters for 2018 I have an idea for a ship to build that wasn't part of the range. I'll post it once I get the model started.

4 hours ago, Joemmo said:

Merci beaucoup Bricks Feeder :) 

I was hoping to see the troop transport used again in TLJ but it only really appeared in a couple of shots (no spoilers). Having seen the new series of Microfighters for 2018 I have an idea for a ship to build that wasn't part of the range. I'll post it once I get the model started.

Are you french too? It's very cool to answer me in french! ?

I made a kind of review on my YouTube Channel. I just commented this topic but your other creations are very cool too. But this one has my préférence! I have the project to build a minifigs'scaled one. 

I saw TLJ (I love this Movie so far!) and i regret to not see the AAL too. 

Oh cool. I am excited to see your next Work! ?

I am sorry I made a mistake in your "name" in the YT vignette... ?

Edited by Bricks Feeder

ah non, je suis anglais mais je travaille pour un compagnie francaise, donc je parle un peu de francais :)

I'm really flattered you liked my model enough to make your own - and to make a video. Very cool, thank you very much! Do you have any photos of your minifig scale AAL?

Yes, I really enjoyed The Last Jedi - and am pleased that they were not afraid to do something different (No spoilers) and surprising. I will go and see it again next week.

re: the Microfighters, I've started a design for the Resistance Bomber in LDD... it's going OK so maybe I will post a picture for some feedback.

thanks again!

Edited by Joemmo

34 minutes ago, Joemmo said:

ah non, je suis anglais mais je travaille pour un compagnie francaise, donc je parle un peu de francais :)

I'm really flattered you liked my model enough to make your own - and to make a video. Very cool, thank you very much! Do you have any photos of your minifig scale AAL?

Yes, I really enjoyed The Last Jedi - and am pleased that they were not afraid to do something different (No spoilers) and surprising. I will go and see it again next week.

re: the Microfighters, I've started a design for the Resistance Bomber in LDD... it's going OK so maybe I will post a picture for some feedback.

thanks again!

Ok ok. It's very cool to do some efforts to speak french! (I'm not very good in english so... ;) )

No problem! :)

No... I have not yet designed and built it... I'm on a Lambda shuttle for the moment (check my flickr. ;) ). But I will do this after! :)

Yes me too! In France, so many people didn't like the movie... :( some people become aggressive and mean when we talk about it ... It's very sad...

I'm excited to see your next build! 

I wish you a merry christmas! 

FInally. I have been trying to create an account on this site but it took so long for it to be confirmed. Now that I am able to comment on this, I would like to know if you could release instructions (or something that better explains the building process) for this? The two LXF files you posted require permission to view, so I have no idea if they will be any help. If not, could you at least grant me access to the files, I have already made a request, but am unsure if you were even notified.

I don't even know if you'll read this, but here is to hoping...

On 8/24/2022 at 12:15 AM, BrickBuilder85 said:

FInally. I have been trying to create an account on this site but it took so long for it to be confirmed. Now that I am able to comment on this, I would like to know if you could release instructions (or something that better explains the building process) for this? The two LXF files you posted require permission to view, so I have no idea if they will be any help. If not, could you at least grant me access to the files, I have already made a request, but am unsure if you were even notified.

I don't even know if you'll read this, but here is to hoping...

Hi! 
Sorry for the late answer. I didn’t receive any notification from my drive 😕 I can try to make something. I have to check if the file is still here.