Sign in to follow this  
JesusIsLord

LDD MOC: High Speed Train Project

Hello and God Bless

I have started my first train MOC, in LEGO Digital Designer because I don't have the funds to build real LEGO trains. This is going to be an 8 wide long distance high speed train making use of the large airplane parts from Lego City Sets such as 7893: Passenger Plane, 7894: Airport and 7734: Cargo Plane.

I have completed my first car, which is a dining car, this dining car will be attached behind a baggage car which also contains an on-board kitchen.

The train contains 6 tables with 2 chairs each (I wish I could it more), opening external and internal doors, at each and of the dining car, there is a soda fountain and a sink as well as a set of drawers.

diningcar1.png

diningcar2.png

diningcar3.png

diningcar4.png

I want to include:

• Locomotive
  • Baggage car with kitchen
  • Dining car (this car)
  • Lounge car (possibly double decker)
  • Normal sitting car
  • Sleeping car
  • observation car

If you want to build in real life, no credit is needed, just have fun.

I hope this inspires you, may Christ be with you all. God Bless.

diningcar.lxf

Looking good so far, I like the doors :)

Thanks, although I have converted them to single doors (instead of the double doors pictured and included on the .lxf file), I have attached an updated .lxf to this post, the original is still in the OP. I feel that the single door gives a more long distance train feel, whereas the double doors gave a city train feel.

Moving to the single doors also opened up more rooms inside, allowing me to add another table row of table and chairs (although with the removal of one of the sinks and soda fountains, one in the car is enough anyway).

God Bless

diningcar.lxf

Edited by JesusIsLord

I'd recommend putting the bogies closer to the ends. Also is the bufferbeam/coupling attached to the main body or extended out from the bogie assembly? If it's not attached to the bogies, the coaches will become uncoupled on the corners, especially with the large overhang each end has.

Otherwise it's looking smart, keep up the good work!

I'd recommend putting the bogies closer to the ends. Also is the bufferbeam/coupling attached to the main body or extended out from the bogie assembly? If it's not attached to the bogies, the coaches will become uncoupled on the corners, especially with the large overhang each end has.

Otherwise it's looking smart, keep up the good work!

Thanks for the advice, it's annoying that Lego Digital Designer doesn't have physics tests to test out things like structural integrity and the handling of trains. the train probably would look better with the bogies closer to the ends, but I fear that would (in real life) prevent if from making corners due to the tight radius of lego track, as for the buffers, the overhang is the reason they are not attacked the bogies, I know the new magnetic couplers have studs on the top and bottom of them, would attaching a 1x2 tile to said studs prevent the cars from being uncoupled on corners.

I have finished the second car, the baggage/kitchen car, I will upload pictures later but here is the .lxf file. The baggage/kitchen car is intended to be coupled behind the locomotive and have the dining car coupled behind it.

God Bless

baggageandkitchencar.lxf

Very nice. I think locking the couplers together with 1x2 could cause your train to derail in the standard LEGO curves given how far back you have your bogies and couplers are body mounted.

Second update.

I decided to go with the advice for moving the bogies closer to the end of the cars, I also improved the way the bogies were attached to the body, the couplers are still attached to the body instead of the bogies, I may place those on turntables allowing them to move more freely.

Here is the pictures of the baggage/kitchen car and an updated .lxf file as well as some pictures.

baggagedining1.png

baggagedining3.png

baggagedining2.png

Enjoy and God Bless, hopefully someone builds this in real life and sees how it performs.

Christ be with you all.

I have completed the lounge car, the OP said it was going to be a double decker but I decided against that as I plan on making some double decker cars with regular seats on top and sleeper cabins on the bottom, I will be using transition cars (an idea I got from Bartybum with his excellent 60051 Fleshed out), anyway, onto the lounge car, the lounge car is the first car to contain a toilet, which sadly I could not fit into a 2 stud gap which means I had to offset the central internal doors by 1 stud to fit the toilet, the lounge car contains a TV, 2 couches as well as 2 swiveling armchairs, a piano and a bar with a 2 drink maximum (as the Bible says in Ephesians 5:18, "And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;").

The designs for the piano and bar are based off of these videos:

loungecar1.png

loungecar2.png

loungecar3.png

baggagedininglounge.png

Sorry for the poor internal photos, it's hard to position the camera inside buildings in LDD.

Another concern I have for if anyone were to build this in real life, the baggage/kitchen car contains 492 peices, the dining car contains 512 peices and the lounge car contains 570 peices, and this is all without minifigs, and I plan on building more carriages (at least 7 as it is the biblical number of completion), would a sinlge power functions motor be able to pull all those pieces, the train is already 1574 bricks, and some of those are large pieces.

I have exceeded my alloted disk space for attachments so here is a mediafire link to the .lxf file.

http://www.mediafire...b/loungecar.lxf

God Bless

Christ be with you all.

Edited by JesusIsLord

This is turning out really good! I can't wait to see how you build the loco. Are you going to do a observation car ending, or a second loco?

This is turning out really good! I can't wait to see how you build the loco. Are you going to do a observation car ending, or a second loco?

Thanks

I wanted to do an observation car, but I'm thinking it may look weird on a high speed train, what would you prefer? (that question is for everyone) the locomotive will make use of the large airplane cockpit peice.

The plans for double deckers cars are off, I just couldn't make them look good.

God Bless

Christ be with you all.

Edited by JesusIsLord

There were some diesel high speed trains, like the Flying Streak Zephyr. Or the Milwaukee Railroad observation cars, which had endings that used a large glass canopy for a rear window. It consisted of several different cars and a observation ending linked up to a loco with Jacob's bogies, and it'd be a refreshing take on the concept, they all look pretty boring nowadays.

There were some diesel high speed trains, like the Flying Streak Zephyr. Or the Milwaukee Railroad observation cars, which had endings that used a large glass canopy for a rear window. It consisted of several different cars and a observation ending linked up to a loco with Jacob's bogies, and it'd be a refreshing take on the concept, they all look pretty boring nowadays.

Thanks for letting me know

Funny you say that because I was already thinking of swapping out the current bogies with Jacobs's bogies, and there is no need to conform so I will go with that observation car I may make a locomotive + B-Unit to make up for the lack of a rear locomotive.The next car to be finished is a sleeper car, I want the train to go:

• Locomotive
  • B-Unit
  • Baggage/Kitchen
  • Dining Car
  • Lounge Car
  • Sleeping Car
  • Observation Car

Any idea for other carriages?

God Bless

Christ be with you all.

Edited by JesusIsLord

// Another concern I have for if anyone were to build this in real life, the baggage/kitchen car contains 492 peices, the dining car contains 512 peices and the lounge car contains 570 peices, and this is all without minifigs, and I plan on building more carriages (at least 7 as it is the biblical number of completion), would a sinlge power functions motor be able to pull all those pieces, the train is already 1574 bricks, and some of those are large pieces.//

// I want the train to go:

• Locomotive
  • B-Unit
  • Baggage/Kitchen
  • Dining Car
  • Lounge Car
  • Sleeping Car
  • Observation Car //

How do you forsee this looking once completed? Will it still be a high speed train or now a diesel hauled passenger train?

When building a large consist, you need to keep in mind the costs of such a large scale model. Seven large carriages will weigh a lot and will require more to move, assuming you are intending on actually building this (This is pointless if you don't!). Two motors will probably move it okay, depending on how fast you want it to go. The B-unit could also have another two motors underneath it.

Unless you have a secret stash, you'll need to swap out the grey wheel holders for black as they are prohibitively expensive. The roof won't be cheap either, despite being large parts, and the end caps are surprisingly difficult to get a hand on in quantity.

The hinged doors won't work either, as there's no opportunity for the bricks to flex to allow the swing of the doors. Unless you're intending to play with it, it wouldn't matter if you have static doors. In fact, you could honestly gut the interior to save on weight and cost for little noticeable external difference in appearance.

You also need to be aware that at this length, the carriages may have trouble making turns on standard Lego track. You might need ME Models' radii or straight curves to traverse well.

With these issues properly accounted for, building better scale trains can be very rewarding and this is a good start. Keep it up!

Touched by his noodly appendage, Hail Satan, with tea from Russell's teapot.

I can't get over how good these look. I would love to have my own as 'generic' modern passenger cars.

Thanks, these just come from messing around in LDD when I was bored, I wasn't trying to make anything spectacular and this is the result. Whenever I did try to make something spectacular, I just failed.

Edited by JesusIsLord