Sign in to follow this  
barman

[MOC/MOD] Self-loading Logging Truck (set 9397)

Back in 2012 set 9397 Logging Truck was released. It was a nice set and I bought it to motorize. But looking on the internet for real self-loading logging trucks I more and more started to want to make this set as a base for a more scale model look.

So I made the truck wider from 15 studs to 17 with is more in scale with that type of tire. Eventually I designed a complete new truck based on the set, but looking more like an original US Logging Truck and fully remote controlled.

26333190732_18e0ee4493_c.jpg

Self-loading Logging Truck by Barry Bosman, on Flickr

It has just only taken me 4 years to complete the video... hahaha. Due to free time and not completely satisfied about the video material I never got to making a video. The video material was shot by a well known Dutch Technic master Mahj :grin:

On July 2012 We went to a nearby forest to find a good place for shooting the video material with a nice backdrop.

Yesterday I went to mahj to help me with getting to know the new video editing software Mahj already has good experience with. And here is the finished result.

Function:

2 M-motors for drive

M-motor for steering

M-motor for switching between two functions

M-motor for moving the second steering axle / moving the crane arm back / forward

M-motor for moving the outriggers / moving the boom up / down

M-motor for turning the crane

Micro motor for rotating the claw

Micro motor for opening en closing the claw

Because I wanted the crane to move freely I decided to place the control of the 2 micro motors in the crane it self, place the battery pack and receiver on the crane. This so the wires couldn't get entangled with the gears.

I have found a basic sketch of how all the gears, axles and motors are connected in the small chassis. I will make a LDD drawing of this and post this soon.

Edited by barman

Very nicely done! I live in one of the primary logging areas of the United States and I see these types of trucks every day. Yours is immediately recognizable and very accurate.

One of my beloved sets... it is great as official set, and You made very good job to bring it one (or more) level higher. :thumbup:

Edited by agrof

Great build Barry and what two studs can do with a model :wub: .

Stunning juse of the micro motors in the claw :thumbup: :thumbup:

So many well executed functions, and like Blakbird, I occasionally see these running around as well here in New England. Makes me sad I sold my copy...

It looks great and performs much better than the pneumatics on the 42043. I love how clean the crane arm looks, even with a couple of wires running along it. :thumbup:

Very nice, and the video is also very cool (of course) :thumbup:

Do you have more photo's available?

Well my friend, you did it again...!!! This is an excellent video of an excellent model... :wub: :wub: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Surprised it is still assembled, did not realize you still have it... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thank you all for the nice reactions. Good to hear you like it and that it pretty close to the originals (Thanks Bladbird and JGW3000).

As promised I have made a LDD file based on the old CAD-file I made in 2012. Looking at the photo's I have of the model, the CAD-model wasn't 100% OK. Making a LDD model of all the gear is no picknick. Took me a all day to make it.

26379094421_c1a82e39be_c.jpg

Logging Truck Gear system-02 by Barry Bosman, on Flickr

If you want to see all the part up-close, I made a couple of screen-dumps of the different functions. See the https://www.flickr.com/photos/50191917@N06/albums/72157667182246325]Flickr album[/url]

@Ludo Visser, Yes. In the album there are also some pics from the Europe Model Show 2012.

@2LegoOrNot2Lego, The model was taken apart in 2013 (I think) after shooting the video material. Back then I didn't have that many PF parts and this one had almost all my M-motors.

I still have a lot of model on my shelves that I want to take apart, but I still have to shoot (Photo's and Video's) them. It is getting pretty crowded here :grin:

I can't believe this set was released so long ago....I like the changes you made to the original set.

Thanks for all the nice reactions. Good to hear you like this truck.

Great work there Barman!

Excellent all these functions, all working so splendid, great piece of technic design!

It's fantastic Barman! I like the use of the micromotors in the claw because it looks clean... :wub:

You say 4 years... Well, never late than never :laugh:

I love the way the trailer is deployed, its like a transformer. Great use of micro motors, I wish we had a modern equivalent.