BrickMonkeyMOCs

[MOC] City-scale GT3 Racers

Initially posted here as LDraw renders, here are my completed city-scale McLaren F1 GTR and Ferrari 458 GT3. I started by heavily modifying Henrik Hoexbroe's McLaren model to fit a minifigure driver, and then modified the same base frame to produce the 458 Italia. The models feature Speed Champion rims on regular city wheels and fenders, and detachable engine covers and rear wings.

26401479815_c5cc94bb3e_n.jpg25798723893_922057d23e_n.jpg26335283881_541112f706_n.jpg

Click through for the full Flickr album. As always, feedback is welcome.

Edited by BrickMonkeyMOCs

@SpaceMonkey;

Very nice cars. Your MacLaren looks very smooth and clean. Still, I miss some texture on the side of the doors...

Thanks a lot for the mention! :-)

Edited by Hoexbroe

Very nice cars. Your MacLaren looks very smooth and clean. Still, I miss some texture on the side of the doors...

Thanks a lot for the mention! :-)

Thanks Henrik. I agree on the McLaren doors, but I couldn't find a texture that worked well (yours is fine of course but conflicts with fitting a driver). I had a 1x2 grille there for a while, but it wasn't particularly accurate and looked a bit busy. And you're welcome. I'm always careful to give credit where due, and your many excellent models really opened my eyes to what is possible at this scale.

Here's a shot of the two cars with a heavily tuned version of the 60113 Rally Car, which was also a large part of the inspiration for these builds.

26512450910_27b3eeba3d_c.jpg

Looks great SpaceMonkey. I think the essence of the car is there, regardless of accuracy of minute details...

Do you plan to make any other kinds of cars at this scale, say, a Chevrolet Impala circa 1967?

Looks great SpaceMonkey. I think the essence of the car is there, regardless of accuracy of minute details...

Do you plan to make any other kinds of cars at this scale, say, a Chevrolet Impala circa 1967?

Thanks. I think the Ferrari is probably more accurate in overall shape than the McLaren. I'm not planning any more at the moment, but this is quite a fun scale to work at.

New additions are now built...

28890411301_3364d7afb9.jpg28681079180_c5d9be3a14.jpg

Both are built in a modular fashion, allowing for engine access and stripping components down to the survival cell.

28347947804_13ba7670b4.jpg28347817974_e5da71cd2b.jpg

The 919 went through numerous redesigns, even after ordering the parts, before I was happy with it. With a new Ferrari F1 car due out next year it will be interesting to see how the above version will compare. I now have the SF16-H built at three different scales — 1:17, minifig, and microscale — so I will eventually post a picture of all three together (though at the moment the 1:17 scale model is awaiting some parts for a small upgrade).

Very nice! Do you have the SC 919 or R18? Im interested to see how the subtle differences between 6-wide town and SC scales pan out.

On 19/08/2016 at 7:21 PM, vectormatic said:
Very nice! Do you have the SC 919 or R18? Im interested to see how the subtle differences between 6-wide town and SC scales pan out.

Thanks. I didn't buy the SC LMP cars as I really don't like their proportions. To be fair, it is all but impossible to capture LMP proportions while still fitting a minifig, but I've done my best to improve on the SC versions.

31472264315_c460ca912e_n.jpgY9VWrfh.jpg

Both models are the same width (6-wide), but my version (left) is two studs shorter (at 16 studs), and while the same height overall it appears lower due to having lower sides, shark fin, and windscreen. In comparison, the official set (in my opinion) looks far too long and tall for its width. I also felt the official set was too square at the front and too sloped-back at the windscreen, so these are what I've tried to address. And I've also added an engine and allowed the driver to actually reach the steering wheel. :)

In comparison, the official set (in my opinion) looks far too long and tall for its width. I also felt the official set was too square at the front and too sloped back at the windscreen

These are issues with all the SC sets i think, its just not very doable to capture the real proportions very well in such small lego sets, maybe with an 8-wide base, but that would quickly make them more expensive.

These are issues with all the SC sets i think, its just not very doable to capture the real proportions very well in such small lego sets, maybe with an 8-wide base, but that would quickly make them more expensive.

I agree that the SC sets are all flawed in their proportions, but I don't think this is impossible to overcome. Eight-wide becomes too big for minifigures in my opinion (except for Hummers and the like) but many builders other than myself have produced 6-wide city-scale cars with much better proportions.

really like the new 919, I might have to clone it (or something similar) and get a photo op of it next to my heavily modified 917k (my 917k, for those interested) The F1 car looks good too, i just wish there were slicked tires in that same size, something we really need (more slicks!)

really like the new 919, I might have to clone it (or something similar) and get a photo op of it next to my heavily modified 917k (my 917k, for those interested) The F1 car looks good too, i just wish there were slicked tires in that same size, something we really need (more slicks!)

Yes, new slicks would be really good, especially with F1 returning to wider tires next year. And yes, your 917K is another excellent example of improving over SC proportions. Did you keep your model at 6-wide? (I see you were considering 7-wide at the end of the thread.) Also, I do have full instructions for the 919 Hybrid on my website if you're interested.

Yes, new slicks would be really good, especially with F1 returning to wider tires next year. And yes, your 917K is another excellent example of improving over SC proportions. Did you keep your model at 6-wide? (I see you were considering 7-wide at the end of the thread.) Also, I do have full instructions for the 919 Hybrid on my website if you're interested.

oh nice, on the insturctions, i'll take a look at those. and i stayed at the 6wide and used the SC stickers to finish it off. still need to snap pictures of it done.

As a auto tech and car builder in R/L your mocs are amazing recreations. Well done. I will be stealin....borrowing these designs for my own use!

I now have the SF16-H built at three different scales — 1:17, minifig, and microscale — so I will eventually post a picture of all three together (though at the moment the 1:17 scale model is awaiting some parts for a small upgrade).

Here are the three Ferrari SF16-Hs together.

28657981093_48b6f4ab4c.jpg

I have a Lamborghini design in the works to go with these city-scale racers. It is a Huracan GT3 in lime green with a removable engine cover...

That Huracan is sharp! Your technique for making the upper (and lower for that matter) side intakes is very inventive.  also the side-skirts! but the link to the real Huracan GT3 machine... that thing is down-right insane-looking...

Would you happened to have built this with Ldraw? if so, I'd love to see how you've got so many of the new pieces to use! (hubcaps, 1x1 plate w/handle, etc)  :D

20 hours ago, AnkTales said:

Very NICE!! thanks for upload ;)

You're welcome.

1 hour ago, no7erics said:

That Huracan is sharp! Your technique for making the upper (and lower for that matter) side intakes is very inventive.  also the side-skirts! but the link to the real Huracan GT3 machine... that thing is down-right insane-looking...

Would you happened to have built this with Ldraw? if so, I'd love to see how you've got so many of the new pieces to use! (hubcaps, 1x1 plate w/handle, etc)  :D

Thanks, and I agree on the real car - it's an absolute monster. It sounds pretty good too. :)

Yes, it is built in LDraw (parts ordered from B/Link and due in a week or two). The hubcap insert is available in the official parts library (though only that particular design); and other parts, like the 1x1 w/ handle and the 2x2 wings, are available as unofficial parts via the Parts Tracker at LDraw.org.

The Lamborghini Huracan GT3 is now built. The only change I've made is to the side air intakes, which looked a little messy in the brick as initially designed. The new solution uses the back of a headlight brick as the intake, which allows a cheese slope to be used on the other side to fill the gap to the wheel arch. There is no Lamborghini minifig available yet, so I have made do with a lime green torso and black helmet.

ETA: I've made another change to the side vent area, which I think improves the overall look. Instructions are also updated.

31178090822_6ebecfb118_n.jpg31178100142_c732d8f88b_n.jpg30514605353_d8cf6b58fa_n.jpg

Click an image for the Flickr gallery. Instructions available at www.bm-mocs.com.