Sign in to follow this  
DrJB

Gears Meshing at 'other' angles

When most of us think of gears, typically those have either parallel or perpendicular axes. However, and with the double-bevel gears, there is the possibility to have 'any' angle between the axes, from 0 to 90 degrees. Have you seen any such applications where the angle between axes is neither 0 nor 90?

The only one application I found is the 'gear ball' in the video below.

Edited by DrJB

I think the primary reason why gears aren't used at these angles is because they aren't supported well enough for transfer of high torque.

I have used quite a few...

And this one doesn't actually use different meshing angles, but it is pretty cool...

For examples of gears meshing at different angles see Toshihito Isogawa Lego Power Functions Idea book: Machines and Mechanisms:-

Part 1:- Tilting the Angle of the axle - pages 84 to 89

I got both of his books for Xmas and they are a fantastic source of solutions for Technic mechanisms.

Edited by Doug72

Maybe there's also not so big need for different agngles, except very creative, more like artistic creations, as we can see form examples.

I used 20th gear with 12th gear for the suspension and drivetrain of this tatra 4 or 5 years ago, it was strong, now I suppose I could build it better with the new pieces we have.

xnkBXtW.jpg?1

Edited by jorgeopesi

I used a bevel gear angle meshing design for the steering in a funny car that finished up a couple weeks ago.. There was a lot of trial and error ensuring that the gears meshed properly at the correct angle and wouldn't skip while making sure that they rotated smoothly without any resistance when either the Hand of God steering or the cockpit steering wheel operated.. I am pretty sure that the steering in the 8674 Ferrari F1 worked in a similar way..

FWdAVUH.jpg

a6rhy4b.jpg

Edited by Paul Boratko

If that counts then 8842 already did that years ago:

8842-1-B-1-01.jpg

And my facourite - ZBLJ's Junebug: (look at that selector angle....)

p1190429.jpg

Edited by Rockbrick

I was looking some of the videos by Isogawa...

And I found this quite interesting...

Also looks useful.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

I've seen some of these before. I think you and I discussed them in a separate thread and after our discussion I went ahead and bought enough yellow samsonite gears (you had advised the larger/red were much more difficult to get). Though, the one above (I call it tree branches / bonsai), I like very much. In fact I have collected many connectors/parts (such as those below), specifically to reproduce such art/sculptures. Bucky-balls and truncated icosahedron, here I come.

44374.gif32016.gif32192.gif32015.gif10288.jpg57585.jpg

Me.

Someone is trying to 'up' their posts' number with short answers ... I wonder why. :laugh:

Edited by DrJB