Sign in to follow this  
JDL1967

Can I use M or L motor for steering?

I am working on a model where there is little room to place a servomotor for steering. Can i use an L or M motor for steering? And witch one will be better to do the job, the M or the L motor? Any suggestions are welcome.

Edited by JDL1967

I am working on a model where there is little room to place a servomotor for steering. Can i use an L or M motor for steering? And witch one will be better to do the job, the M or the L motor? Any suggestions are welcome.

Yes, you can use either, just be careful to have a means of including a linear cutch or clutch gear. I have used a M motor because of the size in my most recent WIP 6x6, as it drives a worm gear, this allows for the steering angle to remain locked, and not be directly able to interact with the motor, because of the worm gear.

So i dont directly put the m motor on the axle with a gearrack. What kind or gear must i use with the M motor to make sure that it wont lock while steering?

Some example pictures are welcome also...

What kind or gear must i use with the M motor to make sure that it wont lock while steering?

Clutch gear.

Edited by KamalMYafi

Clutch gear, is that the white one? A gear with a gear inside?

Clutch gear, is that the white one? A gear with a gear inside?

Yes, this is the picture:

60c01.1076166029.jpg

So the M motor won't lock but free rotate on the center of the gear. Do you want to use return to center steering?

Edited by KamalMYafi

Yes if you now a way to do that the easy way. I have some space but not like a moc totaly build with technic bricks and beams. The underwagon of the car will be with some technic bricks, beams and parts. But the most of the build will be with normal bricks. Thats also the reason that there is not a lot of room, and why i cant use a servomotor.

You already posted a topic for this called exactly the same thing with exactly the same content 3 minutes earlier than this one. Do you really need two?

this is the 2nd topic if i have to believe 'technic jim', but i will try to help you anyways :sweet:

It depends, if you need much power for steering. If yes, i would use an L motor, and if it is easy i would use a m-motor.

maybe you can limit the rotation, to max a half revolution. If not i would recommend to slow it down, otherwise the gears start slipping, and/or you can't position the wheels to straight forward.

Is space/size the only reason why one would use a M- or L-Motor for steering? If not, under what circumstances would they be better than a Servo Motor?

Is space/size the only reason why one would use a M- or L-Motor for steering? If not, under what circumstances would they be better than a Servo Motor?

There is also costs.

You already posted a topic for this called exactly the same thing with exactly the same content 3 minutes earlier than this one. Do you really need two?

Threads merged.

People used M motors for steering all the time before the servo existed. The problem is that they turn way too fast to just connect directly to a steering rack. If you are going to use an M-motor, you should gear it down considerably. This will not only give you more power, it will also make it much easier to control because it won't steer so fast.

No sorry, did happend by mistake. One is just fine.

A servo is not an option because i just dont have the room for it. As said by kamalmyafi and blackbird, i will try to gear it down. And i dont need 2 topics, one is good. When i have finished my build, i will put it on EB. Then it will be clear why a servo is not an option. Iff anyone has an example how to slow the rotation down, i would like to get some information ( with pictures if possible) from it. Tnx...

So if space/size and cost weren't considerations, you might still want to use a M-Motor for steering in order to get more power, given appropriate gearing down? Would there be conditions that might require a L-Motor with appropriate gearing down?

L and M motor are an option. I can build them in my model. So if you have a gearing down example for an L motor or for an M motor, i would gladly like to get them. As i said before when my build is finished, i will put the pictures on EB. Then it will be clear why a servo is not really an option..

Examples are welcome here in this topic, or send to me through a PM...

No, sorry, I don't. I am only just getting going with Technic, hence all the questions. Best wishes for your build and I shall look forward to your pictures.

Darryl

It will take sometime that i will be ready with my build ( design and freetime ), but i will post them when my model is ready. I will also take some time to find out how te make good pictures of it.

Edited by JDL1967

A servo is not an option because i just dont have the room for it.

Keep in mind that the reduction gearbox attached to the L or M motor will most likely make the total volume larger than the Servo motor. Unless you are building something thin and narrow like a drag racer, there are plenty of options for fitting the Servo motor. Even the drag racer could use it and simply have an extension axle going to the front of the car.

For examples of an M motor driving steering racks see Toshihito Isogawa Lego Power Functions Idea book: Machines and Mechanisms:-

Part 1:- Rack and Pinion Gears - pages 114 to 823.

I got both of his books for Xmas and they are a fantastic source of solutions for Technic mechanisms.

Edited by Doug72

For examples of an M motor driving steering racks see Toshihito Isogawa Lego Power Functions Idea book: Machines and Mechanisms:-

Part 1:- Rack and Pinion Gears - pages 114 to 823.

I got both of his books for Xmas and they are a fantastic source of solutions for Technic mechanisms.

If you have a website where i can buy those books, i gladly will get that internetadress from you..

We had to build our own return-to-center mechanisms in the old days: http://www.technicbr...-to-center.html

I have seen the website, and i also will look in to your option.. tnx..

Keep in mind that the reduction gearbox attached to the L or M motor will most likely make the total volume larger than the Servo motor. Unless you are building something thin and narrow like a drag racer, there are plenty of options for fitting the Servo motor. Even the drag racer could use it and simply have an extension axle going to the front of the car.

The length and is not the problem. So i will look into it..

I want to say thanks to everyone who has give me ideas here. Now i can continue this evening... :grin::thumbup: