tmctiger

Layout: plan fo new layout

Hi Günther,

I really enjoy the photos of your more and more detailed layout. The waterfall and the pond are really nice eyecatchers.

The dead ended road leading to the pond - with its center line markings - looks like a primary road, which does not make much sense. You could try to eliminate the road markings and probably create a turning area at the road's end. Another detail is about draining the pond: Where does the water leave the pool? A small weir and an overflow/outlet (into an invisible) underground duct could be a solution.

I hope, both suggestions might help to further the realistic impression of the scenery.

Christian

10 hours ago, Xris said:

Hi Günther,

I really enjoy the photos of your more and more detailed layout. The waterfall and the pond are really nice eyecatchers.

The dead ended road leading to the pond - with its center line markings - looks like a primary road, which does not make much sense. You could try to eliminate the road markings and probably create a turning area at the road's end. Another detail is about draining the pond: Where does the water leave the pool? A small weir and an overflow/outlet (into an invisible) underground duct could be a solution.

I hope, both suggestions might help to further the realistic impression of the scenery.

Christian

Hi Christian,

thanks for your kind feedback! It is nice to hear that you like my layout. :classic:

Yes the dead end is indeed an issue, and was also addressed already in a German speaking forum. But I already have a solution: the road will get shortened of about 8 to 10 studs and replaced by some green and a wider  pavement. The road itself becomes a precinct more or less like the one I did beside the town hall. Perhaps with some small green lane separation. Unfortunately there is no space for a turning area.

I consider the water leaves the pond in a hidden cave behind the waterfall. So the drainage of the pond is invisible without scuba diving :grin: ...

BR, Günther

I enjoy such nice layout
There are always things that other people build
What you must say waauw ..... really beautiful
Congratulations

:thumbup:

Hi @patje,

thanks for your kind feedback! It is nice to hear that you like my layout.

Yes you are right, you'll always find great things built (not only layouts) with Lego. I think this is the magic behind Lego.

BR,

Guenther

On 7/10/2017 at 2:37 PM, tmctiger said:

Hy Guys,

there is a new small update from my side. This time it is not a landscape/building update (but stay tuned for the next, I am currently ordering the parts for the waterfall and rock area) but a rolling stock.

It is my version of a monorail modification of the tram of the set 60097. I bought this already with the intention to modify it towards the monorail track system. It took me some time to figure out how to do it.

So here is the outcome (don't mind the tan and white slopes they will be replaced with gray ones):

I have also done some pictures to enable you on recreating my version of the tram (since I didn't found a decent How To). You can find mine here:

http://www.bricksafe.com/pages/tmctiger/mods/lego-60097-tram---monorail-modification-how-to

The next task regarding the monorail is: find a solution on how the track should go through the town ... there I currently have no plan, but I promise you, the monorail will come to my town ...:wink:

As always please leave me a comment what you like or dislike or what I could improve.

Thanks and BR, Guenther

P.s.: Brickshelf finally forced me to use another site. Suddenly it isn't possible anymore to upload a bunch of files with a zip-upload ...:angry: --> I am now using Bricksafe...

I'm a little late to this party but want to commend you on everything, especially the monorail conversion! It looks great on the old track. Hopefully you can get some nice lift to it.

Someday I'd like to do something similar with a monorail that hangs down below the track. No idea how, but figuring it out is half the fun.

Hi @bricksnator,

I am very glad that you like the conversion of the tram. The conversion though, was quite simple. It took me just an evening to figure it out. For me it nearly seemed that the designer had such a conversion in mind :grin: ...

I can strongly encourage you to do your own conversion - it is really fun, but a monorail with overhang below the tracks unfortunately wont work. The reason are the start/stop rails and the points.

BR, Guenther

12 hours ago, tmctiger said:

For me it nearly seemed that the designer had such a conversion in mind :grin: ...

I think it's too easy a conversion to just be a coincidence. I'd love to see this trend continue the next time (if there is a next time) we get a set with a tram.

I really enjoy seeing your layout updates by the way- it's an inspired use of the space you have available and really shows what is possible in a mid size layout.

Edited by ElectroDiva

Hi @ElectroDiva,

I am glad that you like my layout. Tanks for your kind words. :classic: It is indeed fun to figure out how to place and do stuff with limited space available, though sometimes quite time consuming :wink: ...

BR, Guenther

Hi Guys,

I am back with a small update on my WIP Layout.

I have done some minor changes and one major change.

The first minor change is the shortened road to the small pond. It looked quite odd when the road directly ends only 3 studs beside the water. I reduced the length of the street about 16 studs and fitted a small park/forrest area in the free spot so that the road did not end as close to the water as before:

800x600.jpg

The second minor change is related to the Model Town House 4954: as I showed earlier, I have moved the garage directly inside the house and therefore I had to shift some windows, which resulted in a misalignment btween the windows in the roof and the windows in the first floor. This is now corrected, I moved the windows in the roof also two studs to the left:

800x600.jpg

The third minor change, was the placement of the Ninjago City:

800x600.jpg

The area in front of the Ninjago City is reserved to the Old Fishing Store. The whole left area in this corner will become a water area and both, the Ninjago City and the Old Fishing Store, will be surrounded by water more or less.

The fourth minor change was the temporal placement of the Haunted House. It will stay at this spot more or less, but I am not sure about the exact alignment. I have also improved the stone wall with fence and entrance door, so that it now looks more weathered then before and it is now integrated in the building itself:

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

The main change to my previous update however was the creation of a small modern city train station with three platforms. This station will be the smaller one of two stations I planned for the layout (the main station will be placed on the lower level). As you can see, the station is quite strongly architectural linked to two train station released by Lego some time ago:

"Train Station" 7937
"Train Station" 60050

A major issue, when building the station, were the switches in the station area. I had to narrow the platform there, to make it possible for trains who need a extremely wide clearance to travel to all switch directions.

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

Last but not least, I have also created a new update video, where I explain the layout in detail, give some insights in my MOCs and MODs, show you some trains moving along the layout and at last I'll give you some outlook what I have planned for the layout in the future. Therefore the video is rather long:

If you would like to see the images shown in their original resolution, follow this link to my Bricksafe-Folder: click me.

As always, I would like to hear your comments, suggestions and critics about my layout.

BR,

Guenther

Hi @LegoMonorailFan,

thanks for your kind words!

Especially Interesting for you :laugh:: I have started experimenting with my Tram-Monorail conversion I presented earlier. To be precise, with the track layout. Currently I still have some issues to solve, but I am confident to have some material to show off in the next major WIP update.

BR,

Guenther