tmctiger

Layout: plan fo new layout

Oh wow, this looks nice (and looks like a lot of work too :laugh:). Can you approximate how many parts you have used for the ballast so far?

Edited by Capparezza

On 15.1.2017 at 8:06 PM, KlodsBrik said:

Look´s like some great progress.
Also this is an very overwhelming project.
Looks very good so far. 

Cant wait to see what you come up with next. :classic:

KlodsBrik

Hi KlodsBrik,

thanks for your positive feedback :sweet:. Yes, I'll keep you all up to date on this here. But currently I have to deal with the not so interesting task, unfortunately: finishing the track ballasting. After that, it will become more interesting (Landscaping, tunnel portals, other city areas, additional streets, ... and last but not least, the planned cargo train station).

BR, Guenther

On 16.1.2017 at 11:25 AM, Capparezza said:

Oh wow, this looks nice (and looks like a lot of work too :laugh:). Can you approximate how many parts you have used for the ballast so far?

Hi Capparezza,

thanks for your nice feedback :sweet:! Actually I can tell you quite accurate the part count: The complete track ballasting will eat up 22500 parts, and for now roughly 16000 parts used. So roughly 6500 parts to go :laugh: ...

BR, Guenther

Hi Guys,

I have a new update on my WIP Layout.

I am now close to finish the work on the track ballast (finally :cry_happy:, it was quite a boring work, but I like the look and feel and it was worth the effort in my opinion). I have now finished the long two-tracked siding:

small_img_9300.jpg

The most complex part was the transition from the 45° main line to the siding where it was necessary to do some trial and error to figure out the ballast layout beneath the  point to end up in a valid raster again:

small_img_9270.jpg

I had also reused my old buffer stops from the old Layout:

small_img_9290.jpg

I hope you enjoyed my update. I am now very curious about your opinion. So please give me some feedback  about what you like and what you don't like and what you would do in another way...

BR, Guenther

Hi Guys,

my last update is now nearly two months ago, so I thought to give you the latest news about the progress of my layout.

First of all, the most important achievement: I managed to get my track ballasting done! Wow, this was a whole junk of work and my fingers are still hurting :laugh: ... anyway, here you can see the result:

img_9602.jpg

I have also made a short video of my rolling stock in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxTgEWopQa4

I also added a "breakout-track" where I can attach the cargo terminal area I showed some posts before:

img_9628.jpg

The other task I completed was the digital design of the street section for the middle layer of the layout. It will look like this:

small_streets_level_1_1.0.jpg

It will also contain a tunnel portal:

small_streets_level_1_with_tunnel_sep_1.

I have already ordered the parts for this street section, and I already got them all, so stay tuned for an update and real build of this section in the near future.

An I currently work also on a third thing, which need some explanation.

I own the Tower Bridge 10214 and it currently rests on a shelf where it can not be seen very well. So I had the idea to put it directly on the layout. You immediately will recognize the problem I have: the Bridge is not minifig-scale and therefore will not fit very well on the layout. Basically I had in mind to use it as street bridge. So I fired up LDD and fiddled around a little bit. I created a rock and river  (more a brook :wink: ) where the bridge rests on an span over. Then I widened the bridge to get a wider an higher clearance for the cars, so that minifig-scale cars can driver over the bridge. Long story short, this is what I cam up with:

small_bridge_1.0.jpg

I actually liked it so much, that I also already ordered the additional parts for it (the whole model with bridge, rock and river contains exactly 7500 parts).

I planned to put the bridge here on the layout:

small_level2_1_text.jpg

I hope you enjoyed my update. I am now very curious what you  think about it.

BR,

Guenther

Edited by tmctiger

Looks damn sexy. Have been following your progress over on DB, the idea of using the Tower Bridge (or at least, most of it) is cool and the tunnel looks OK too.

Maybe, if feasible, put the black bricks one or two studs into the back of the tunnel to get a more 3-dimensional look? But I think this is planned to go flat against a wall, so this might not be an option at all...

2 hours ago, Capparezza said:

Looks damn sexy. Have been following your progress over on DB, the idea of using the Tower Bridge (or at least, most of it) is cool and the tunnel looks OK too.

Maybe, if feasible, put the black bricks one or two studs into the back of the tunnel to get a more 3-dimensional look? But I think this is planned to go flat against a wall, so this might not be an option at all...

Hi Capparezza,

first of all, thanks for your positive feedback! :classic:

You are right (more or less) regarding the black bricks. It is not directly a wall which blocks me from putting the bricks deeper into the tunnel, the problem is a support pillar of the upper level, which is directly behind the tunnel entrance. The main problem is, that I can't move the pillar itself, and I can't move the tunnel+street due to space limitations :sceptic: ... so I have to go with this sub-optimal solution ... 

I have to check how it will look in real life, and when I don't like the outcome, I have to rethink and maybe change something ...

BR,

Guenther

Hi Guys,

I have now managed to get all the Bricks for the tunnelportal and the Tower Bridge modification.

The tunnelportal is now finished and already on my Layout, in good company with the Ghostbuster HQ and the Brick Bank:

small_img_9783.jpg

small_img_9811.jpg

I started also with the Tower Bridge modification and managed to finish the little brook with the rocks on the side and the streets. The dark gray 6x12 plates are holding the modified bridge later. You can easily remove it from the rocks, and you can also detach the ramps on each side from the river section for easy handling.

small_img_9878.jpg

and here a picture with the street layer removed, so that you can see the river and the rock walls in detail:

small_img_9876.jpg

As always, you can find higher resolution images after they are publicly available for the tunnel here: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=569611

and for the bridge here: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=569624

I have also created a short update Video of my Layout:

I am now very curious about your feedback.

BR,

Guenther

Looks great! Thank you for the video! Maybe build half of a car coming out of the tunnel? Not sure how to pull off the look right, but might add a bit of realism. Keep up the work, like to see your updates!  :thumbup: :thumbup:

Edited by pyro690
word

5 hours ago, pyro690 said:

Looks great! Thank you for the video! Maybe build half of a car coming out of the tunnel? Not sure how to pull off the look right, but might add a bit of realism. Keep up the work, like to see your updates!  :thumbup: :thumbup:

Hi Pyro690,

thanks for your feedback! Great that you like my layout.

Regarding the car and the tunnel: actually I already had the same idea, and I am definitely thinking about it! Thanks for pointing that out and bringing it back into my brain :wink: ...

A little forecast what I plan for the future on my work on the layout:

As I already showed a view post s before, I plan a little waterfall and pond below the bridge. Here again (so that nobody has to search up the older post) the render image:

waterfall_1_small.jpg

Anyway, this will now take again some time, mainly to gather all the bricks needed for it. But don't worry :tongue:, I have still enough bricks here for several smaller additions to my layout, which I'll do meanwhile (e.g some train tunnel portals, ...) . So stay tuned ...

BR,

Guenther

Very, very nice work. I love these layout building topics where people take time and care to build their scenery. This thread has been one of my favorites for a long time now since it combines planning and actual implementation pictures!

3 hours ago, TheQ said:

Very, very nice work. I love these layout building topics where people take time and care to build their scenery. This thread has been one of my favorites for a long time now since it combines planning and actual implementation pictures!

Hi Q,

I am glad that you like my layout and this is a favourite thread of you! I am currently working hard on finalizing the Tower Bridge modification. So stay tuned for an update here in the near future. :classic:

BR,

Guenther

Stumbled into the train forum just to kill some time and what a cool thread to find! These large displays are really cool to see and its awesome that you have documented it so well. Keep up the amazing work! I'll be sure to keep checking in :classic:

3 hours ago, Blackpool said:

Stumbled into the train forum just to kill some time and what a cool thread to find! These large displays are really cool to see and its awesome that you have documented it so well. Keep up the amazing work! I'll be sure to keep checking in :classic:

Hi Blackpool!

Thanks for your kind words. I am glad that you like the layout.

Btw.: I am currently working on my Tower Bridge modification, and it is almost done. So stay tuned for an update here soon. It took some time to put over 8000 pieces together :grin: ...

BR,

Guenther

Hi Guys,

as promised, here a short update on my progress on the layout. Actually, today it is not so an update to the layout itself, it is more an update regarding a building in the layout: my Tower Bridge modification I introduced you in a previous post.

I am now finished with it, and it looks like this:

small_img_9949.jpg

small_img_9954.jpg

I also added a small change in comparison to the rendering: I closed the inside gaps inside the Bridge. Honestly, I already didn't like them in the original set. For me the Bridge looked always a little unfinished. So I get rid of them in my version:

small_img_9948.jpg

I also redid the small river (actually the banks of it) to find some place for a city wall:

small_img_9955.jpg

As always, I am very curious on what you think about it.

Once the images are approved in my Brickshelf folder, you can find higher resolution images here: Link to my Brickshelf of the Tower Bridge modification.

BR,

Guenther

This... this is impressive. If all the scenery is going to be to this high, consistent standard you will have one epic layout. One thing though... how much will this cost? I mean, that bridge can't have been cheap, and it's only a fraction of the layout.
It does look excellent however, I like that you're putting effort into other, non-railway related items. Do you have plans for railway infrastructure next, such as a signal box?

I've been following this thread from the beginning tmctiger and have been enjoying the updates and watching it evolve into a real layout. That Tower Bridge is a proper bridge now that it is a size to allow minifig sized vehicles between the arches. Wouldn't like to lift the bridge though. Must be pretty heavy. Looking forward to seeing this progress.

2 minutes ago, ColletArrow said:

This... this is impressive. If all the scenery is going to be to this high, consistent standard you will have one epic layout. One thing though... how much will this cost? I mean, that bridge can't have been cheap, and it's only a fraction of the layout.
It does look excellent however, I like that you're putting effort into other, non-railway related items. Do you have plans for railway infrastructure next, such as a signal box?

Hi ColletArrow,

thanks for your kind words regarding my layout.

Phu, good question on the price tag. I'll try not keep detailed track of the costs, I don't really want to know them (unfortunately I know them very well) :grin:... But you can do some math by yourself: the track ballasting are roughly 22000 bricks, the bridge with river are roughly 8500 bricks, the streets are also roughly 4000 bricks and if you estimate a piece price of 0,10€ your are quite there...

... and that's only the portion of the layout built already and not counting the official Lego Sets (and their modifications) you can already see in my layout.

Ok now you got me, your post and question and more my answer brought me to a question to myself: What the hell I am doing here ... *huh*:laugh::laugh:

But on the other hand, Lego, this Layout is my hobby and I don't want to put a price tag on that. So it is okay for me and I also get allot of hours of fun per value.

Ok let us get back to Lego, regarding your questions about railway infrastructure:

Short answer: definitely, yes!

As you can see, I put allot of effort in the track geometry (also modifying some tracks and points) to get a complex, interesting to play with track layout. So the focus is mainly on the trains. And therefore also railway infrastructure is important. I also have already some planes: so signals are definitely in, I just don't know if I lit them or not. I also plan to add an overhead contact line. And  of course two passenger train stations and a train yard with freight terminal. But since this are very fragile objects and will block my access to the town, I have first to complete all the other town and landscape stuff.

BR, Guenther

5 minutes ago, scottwb2010 said:

I've been following this thread from the beginning tmctiger and have been enjoying the updates and watching it evolve into a real layout. That Tower Bridge is a proper bridge now that it is a size to allow minifig sized vehicles between the arches. Wouldn't like to lift the bridge though. Must be pretty heavy. Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Hi Scott,

Yes the bridge is quite heavy and also quite fragile. But since I have to build it in my office room rather on the layout directly, I have to move it. Therefore it is modular and you can take it apart in convenient handling pieces.

BR, Guenther

That makes sense about building from the back and working forwards. Even though it won't happen anytime soon, what do you intend to do once you've finished, other than enjoy all your hard work? Would you ever get bored and rebuild any of it? We have an advantage over traditional railway modellers here!

I also think that adding working signals would add another dimension to the layout, and make 'operating' it possible, rather than just 'running trains'. You could work out a timetable and try to keep to it, like the aforementioned railway modellers sometimes do... Not that there's anything wrong with just watching trains go by, of course.

Holy Moley!!! When you said about adding a modified Tower Bridge, I was indeed thinking of something a couple of studs smaller. Looking good, I also like the addition of a City wall. I'm looking forward to the additions to your Railroad, now...

46 minutes ago, ColletArrow said:

That makes sense about building from the back and working forwards. Even though it won't happen anytime soon, what do you intend to do once you've finished, other than enjoy all your hard work? Would you ever get bored and rebuild any of it? We have an advantage over traditional railway modellers here!

I also think that adding working signals would add another dimension to the layout, and make 'operating' it possible, rather than just 'running trains'. You could work out a timetable and try to keep to it, like the aforementioned railway modellers sometimes do... Not that there's anything wrong with just watching trains go by, of course.

Hi ColletArrow,

yes indeed, we have an advantage over other non Lego model railways. And of course I'll redo some things from time to time and there are also plans for the distant future to enlarge the layout further. But for now I have allot of work still for finalizing the city and the main train system. For some time later I have also plans to add a cargo terminal and train yard.

So yes, the layout will be under constant change ... as always: a model railway is never really finished :laugh: ...

42 minutes ago, Capparezza said:

Holy Moley!!! When you said about adding a modified Tower Bridge, I was indeed thinking of something a couple of studs smaller. Looking good, I also like the addition of a City wall. I'm looking forward to the additions to your Railroad, now...

Hi Capparezza,

I actually also underestimated the real size of this behemoth. :grin: In the LDD and renderings it felt not so big.  *huh*

Yes I added the city wall mainly to be able to add some smaller city sets I have and which are open at the back (like 7848 or 7641). So when I put them against the wall, they don't have an open back anymore and therefore don't look odd in the city. At least this is the plan.

BR,

Guenther

I am also following this thread and it is indeed inspiring. I do know something about building a large model as I built the dream of my childhood; a large mountain with trains running at different levels. Your solution for shifting trains from level to level is a nice one, as the PF allows the trains to do return loops. I like it! The scenery of course makes a nice backdrop for the trains. 

Keep ut the good work!

Wow! Just WOW!!! This is so impressive!!! I can't wait to see the final result! For the trains that run under the display, are there going to be mountain sides? Thumbs up.

2 hours ago, baard said:

I am also following this thread and it is indeed inspiring. I do know something about building a large model as I built the dream of my childhood; a large mountain with trains running at different levels. Your solution for shifting trains from level to level is a nice one, as the PF allows the trains to do return loops. I like it! The scenery of course makes a nice backdrop for the trains. 

Keep ut the good work!

Hi baard,

thanks for your kind words about my layout, but now you made me curious about your layout. Do you have some Images online or a thread about it? If yes, could you please share a link with us?

Yes PF is a great advantage here. First I didn't like PF very much, but after reconsidering some things I has tow major advantages over 9V: The possibility to create track return loops and to be able to run up to 8 trains independently.

2 hours ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Wow! Just WOW!!! This is so impressive!!! I can't wait to see the final result! For the trains that run under the display, are there going to be mountain sides? Thumbs up.

Hi LegoMonorailFan,

thank you too for your kind words about the layout.

Yes, there will be some mountain sides (more cliffs) covering the edges of each level. I actually already have a plan on how I'll build them:

stonewall_1.jpg

And below the modified Tower Bridge  there will be some waterfall an small pond. I have already planned this too:

waterfall_1_small.jpg

This is basically how I plan to cover the open sides on the layout.

I am currently planning another thing, what particularly LegoMonorailFan would like: a tram, running on monorail tracks. I plan to put the tram from 60097 on a monorail chassis.

I wonder now if this was done already? I think I have once seen one on the internet ... :look:

If anyone has already done this and can give me some advise I would appreciate it much ... :classic:

BR, Guenther

51 minutes ago, tmctiger said:

Hi baard,

thanks for your kind words about my layout, but now you made me curious about your layout. Do you have some Images online or a thread about it? If yes, could you please share a link with us?

Yes PF is a great advantage here. First I didn't like PF very much, but after reconsidering some things I has tow major advantages over 9V: The possibility to create track return loops and to be able to run up to 8 trains independently.

Hi LegoMonorailFan,

thank you too for your kind words about the layout.

Yes, there will be some mountain sides (more cliffs) covering the edges of each level. I actually already have a plan on how I'll build them:

stonewall_1.jpg

And below the modified Tower Bridge  there will be some waterfall an small pond. I have already planned this too:

waterfall_1_small.jpg

This is basically how I plan to cover the open sides on the layout.

I am currently planning another thing, what particularly LegoMonorailFan would like: a tram, running on monorail tracks. I plan to put the tram from 60097 on a monorail chassis.

I wonder now if this was done already? I think I have once seen one on the internet ... :look:

If anyone has already done this and can give me some advise I would appreciate it much ... :classic:

BR, Guenther

Yes, it has been done and was posted by the builder here on eurobricks. I'll see if I can find it for you.

Just now, LegoMonorailFan said:

Yes, it has been done and was posted by the builder here on eurobricks. I'll see if I can find it for you.

Bingo.  \/

Hope this helps! :wink:

Edited by LegoMonorailFan

42 minutes ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Bingo.  \/

Hope this helps! :wink:

Hi,

wow thanks for looking it up for me! Yes this will help, at least I can see it is possible and it doesn't look that hard to do...

BR, Guenther