Sign in to follow this  
Ayrlego

Royal Society of Natural Philosophy - General Discussion

The Royal Society of Natural Philosophy

The New World Branch of the Royal Society of Natural Philosophy is now open for members. With it’s headquarters in Arlinsport, Tiberia, the society promotes advancement of the human understanding of the world in which we live. Its focus is the study of nature, mainly in all things living, and its fellows are some of the finest zoologists, botanists, biologists, ornithologists, medicoes, paleonthologists, and entomologists, as well as a multitude of other natural philosophers. The New World branch naturally has an emphasis on the new and unique discoveries of newly discovered lands.

Leadership

The New World Branch of the Society will be headed by an Executive Committee. These can only be filled by members of the society, and must also be citizens of Corrington. This will ensure that the Society is not used against the interests of Corrington, although as a general rule, the society shall not involve itself in politics. The Executive Committee has a right of veto in all matters of the Society, including, but not limited to, membership decisions and the use of the Society's funds. As a general rule, however, decisions will be taken by democratic vote amongst all fellows of the Society.

Current Executive committee

Chairman: Don Isaac Montoya (Bregir)

Secretary: Dirk Allcock (Ayrlego)

Treasurer: Sir James W. Chase (BrickOn)

26092553870_d03bca0243_c.jpg

Signing the Charter by Ayrlego, on Flickr

The executive committee may award other titles to members of the society at their discretion. A list of members and titles can be found in the second post.

Eligible Gentleman/women.

In this new era of reason, logic and discovery, scientific thought should transcend all borders and regimes. Although holding a Royal charter from the Crown of Corrington, the Royal Society of Natural Philosophers is open to members from all factions, including free thinking Sea Rats and open minded Oleans (although any Olean members may risk excommunication or accusations of heresy from their countrymen!).

Membership

Invitation

Membership to the society can only be gained through invitation by an existing member. Any member of the society may propose a candidate to the executive committee. A proposal should be in the form of an in character letter to the Society detailing why the candidate should be considered for membership. Candidates should have an expressed interest in some area of natural philosophy in their characters story. For example, they may have presented some builds showing their character engaging in scientific studies. The Society will approve membership based on whether or not they feel the candidate’s character is established as a Natural Philosopher. If a candidate does not initially meet approval from the committee they may be asked to show a greater interest in scientific discovery (produce some more scientific themed builds/story arcs). The Society will then review their candidacy.

This process is not meant to promote elitism, rather it is an attempt to approximate an in-game type of peer review. It will always be in the Society's best interest to recruit more members, although members must have a genuine interest in promoting scientific discovery.

If approved by the Society, the recommending member will then be required to send an invitation of membership to the candidate. The invitation can be accompanied by a MOC, but again should take the form of an in character letter inviting the member to make a presentation of their scientific work to the society.

Initial Presentation

When a candidate receives their letter of invitation, their final step before becoming a full member of the society will be to make a small vignette (8x8 or up) showing their character presenting his/her work to their fellow members/peers. There is no location requirement for this build, for example a presentation may take place in the Society's Headquarter in Arlinsport, or in another settlement where a meeting is taking place, or even in the field.

25509352093_a6f57acbda_z.jpg

On the Great Tiberian Sea Otter by Bregir, on Flickr

Membership Fee

A small one-off membership fee will be levied on new members. The proceeds of their presentation free-build should be transferred to the Society. If this free-build is one of the member's first two for the month, the fee would be the 10DB they earn for the build. If it is a third or above freebuild, it would be the total DBs made as per the new rules.

EGS Benefits

Their may be some EGS benefits for Society members. These are being discussed with BoBS leadership and will be introduced in due course

Ranking System

Coming Soon! We are looking at introducing an academic type ranking system. Details will be announced later!

Edited by Ayrlego

Current Members

Executive Committee

Don Isaac Montoya, (Bregir) Chairman, Founding Member

Sir James W. Chase, (BrickOn)Treasurer, Founding Member [on leave of absence, position currently vacant]

Sir Dirk Allcock, (Ayrlego) Secretary, Founding Member

Fellows of the Royal Society of Natural Philosophy

Alberto da Pontelli, ( @Captain Braunsfeld)

Sir Anton Hughes, (NPC, @Bregir)

Doctor Thaum, ( @Professor Thaum)

Fernando de la Izquierda, ( @Faladrin)

Lieutenant Joshua, ( @Spud The Viking)

Current Benefactors (Honourary Members)

Lady Elysabeth of Drondil, (TitusV) Mecenas (benefactor)

A list of properties owned by the Royal Society

Building/Location/Licence status/builder 

'The Proceedings' Printer's Shop / King's Harbour, Cocovia (COR) / Small Education / Bregir

Botany House / Mooreton Bay, Alicentia (COR) / Medium Education / Ayrlego

The 'Red School' / Weelond, An Holli (ESL) / Small Education / Ayrlego

Study / Nova Terreli, Nellisa (ESL) / Small Education / Bregir

Royal Society School / King's Harbour, Cocovia (COR) / Large Education / Bregir

Montoya House / Jameston, Celestia (COR) / Large Education / Bregir

Montoya House, Residential Wing / Jameston, Celestia (COR) / Medium Residence / Bregir

Montoya House, Grand Entrance Arch / Jameston, Celestia (COR) / Small Art and Culture / Bregir

The Cutty Shark / King's Harbour, Cocovia (COR) / Small Education / Professor Thaum

Botanical Garden / King's Harbour, Cocovia (COR) / Medium Education / Professor Thaum

Naval Medicine School and Hospital / Alexport, Prio / Large Education / Professor Thaum

That build looks great, and its about time Sir James took his redcoat to the drycleaners, I reckon he looks rather dapper in navy, still a Corry through and through though.

The Queen assumes that this new branch of one of her most favorite societies was fully registered with its parent organization, the Royal Society of Natural Philosophers, based in Belson, Her Majesty's Greatest City of Knowledge and Power? She would hate for Lord Pennington to find that the society had not correctly been registered in the Great Book of Tax and Law properly.

The Chairman would like to thank the honourable Secretary and Founding Member, Captain Dirk Allcock for the excellent work in producing and publishing this charter. And now, lets get down to business - any interesting specimens to dissect? pirate_laugh2.gif

@CB: As should be clear, the Society care not for one's allegiance, as long as one has an interest in Science! pirate_wink.gif

Edited by Bregir

Dear Sirs,

As I am certain you have all heard, Señor da Pontelli has conducted some very interesting experiments in the field of physics, reportedly achieving flight through the use of hot air! Upon request, he has forwarded a paperon his findings, which I found most fascinating. I thus request that you review his work in regards to possible membership of the Society.

Best regards

Don Isaac Montoya

Fellow

Royal Society of Natural Philosophy

Edited by Bregir

Dearest Don Isaac Montoya,

I am writing to inform you that the executive committee of the Royal Society of Natural Philosophy has reviewed the extraordinary work of Señor da Pontelli that you have brought to our attention. I am very pleased to inform you that it has been decided an invitation of membership should be extended to Señor da Pontelli forthwith and that he should present his findings to a panel of his peers at the first available opportunity. Furthermore the committee has authorised the use of the title "Fellow, Royal Society of Natural Philosophy" for Señor da Pontelli once all membership requirements have been met.

I hope this correspondence finds you in good health. I have enclosed some sketches of a most interesting specimen of starfish I have discovered in the hope you may find them interesting.

Yours sincerely,

Dirk Allcock

Secretary and Founding Member

Royal Society of Natural Philosophy (New World Branch)

Dearest friend,

I have extended the approved invitation to Señor da Pontelli, and have received his confirmation that he will join us at first possible opportunity.

A most fascinating sketch, but I should think I can do you one up! We have had the chance to dive on one of the coral reefs of Cocovia, and I have sent a paper to be published in the Proceedings for you to enjoy! Oh, the wealth!

Your servant

Don Isaac Montoya

PS. Enclosed, please find a specimen of a curious sea horse, which appears to be pregnant - however, you might upon closer inspection find that it is male!

On May 5th 616 Alberto da Pontelli visited the Royal Society of Natural Philosophy to present his findings on phlogiston and the hovering balls of cotton:

26796288046_2f246d6959_c.jpg

A painting had also been made after the presentation.

To the most honourable Señor da Pontelli,

It was my great pleasure to meet you recently. I am writing to formally confirm you as a full member and fellow of the Royal Society of Natural Philosophy. My congratulations Sir, your contributions to our understanding of lighter-than-air gasses are most remarkable. I wish you the best of luck in your continued studies. Do ensure you keep the society informed of your progress.

Yours sincerely,

Dirk Allcock

Secretary and Founding Member

Royal Society of Natural Philosophy

I believe we have a question from the audience:

"Fascinating! Most fascinating, señor da Pontelli!

One wonders - have you made any considerations as to how it works? Why does it fly? What scientific principles are at work?" - Cooke

While the presentation is still going, the audience full of questions, a courier enters the hall, pigeon in his hand:

"Master da Pontelli! Great news! A letter from Elysabethtown:"

My dearest Lord da Pontelli,

Word has reached my ears about your more then wonderfull machines. As mecenas of the Society, I deem it my duty to see your wonderfull inventions for myself before I believe them. As such, you're invited to hold a presentation and demonstration on the grand place of Elysabethtown, if you wish so. Of course, a little monetary reward could be made for your efforts.

Yours sincerely,

Elysabeth of Drondil

Mayor of Elysabethtown, member of the MAESTRO Trading Company

I believe we have a question from the audience:

"Fascinating! Most fascinating, señor da Pontelli!

One wonders - have you made any considerations as to how it works? Why does it fly? What scientific principles are at work?" - Cooke

Alberto points to his presentation and answers the question.

(Something about the fiery power inside the phlogiston...)

Word has reached my ears about your more then wonderfull machines. As mecenas of the Society, I deem it my duty to see your wonderfull inventions for myself before I believe them. As such, you're invited to hold a presentation and demonstration on the grand place of Elysabethtown, if you wish so. Of course, a little monetary reward could be made for your efforts.

Yours sincerely,

Elysabeth of Drondil

Alberto hurries off to catch the next ship to Elysabethtown...

The Proceedings have now opened a printers shop in King's Harbour to ensure that all the newest discoveries are shared amongst the members!

27091549195_20c2a0ceff_n.jpg

While the presentation is still going, the audience full of questions, a courier enters the hall, pigeon in his hand:

"Master da Pontelli! Great news! A letter from Elysabethtown:"

Yours sincerely,

Elysabeth of Drondil

In the meantime, Alberto has traveled to Elysabethtown and has met with Elysabeth of Drondil.

The Royal Society has opened 'Botany House', a centre dedicated to the study of Botany in Mooreton Bay, Alicentia.

28371394163_44bf1158ed.jpg

Edited by Ayrlego

Second post updated with a list of properties owned by the Royal Society. 

Which reminds me.... I forgot to post this here at the time!

The Royal Society of Natural Philosophy is pleased to announce the establishment of the An Holli Corrington College, known to the locals in Weelond as the Red School.

28557506373_579ba1f99a_z.jpg

Licensed as a small educational property

Montoya has lead a small group of medical and surgical gentlemen of the Royal Society on a mercy mission to the battlefields of Isla de Victoria.

30658610216_2ac2752794.jpg

Can my fellows agree to licensing a large property in King's Harbour in the form of a school?

30718520152_07207dfc29.jpg

The school has been licensed.

Additionally, I call upon the members to judge in the "Good Samaritan" minichallenge for the grand road of Nellisa. As I entered the minichallenge, I will abstain from voting.