agrof

[Idea] Skeleton and body parts for Technic vehicles

Hello!

Since months I was playing with the idea, why do we don't use (or barely) the Technic compatible Bionicle, Hero Factory, Buildable Figures parts here, like for example:

1280x720.jpg

+

http://brickset.com/...-Commander-Cody

and so on.

We see luckily more and more complex bodywork on supercars, my guess with all of these ball joints we could refine the angles, as this joint system is more forgiving.

We have joints on them to connect to regular Technic parts, so there is a way to integrate them, even just to add a strange angle for a technic panels. I am sure, my buggy's bodywork would also have a more stable construction with these parts, though I haven't tried yet.

To be honest, I wanted to build such a vehicle, but thanks for the brilliant weather, I rather go out with my bicycle, my current projects are also on hold... :classic:

So I decided to throw the idea for the community, maybe some will think about it, and can make advantage. Maybe just a dead end street.

Thoughts, references? Or just save the idea, maybe it comes once handy. :wink:

Happy build!

Edited by agrof

I don't think they are ok for suspension, as these ball joints have tight fit, with noticable friction. That's why I was wondering about structural implementation.

Actually I love to see how builders use the interoperability between Lego themes (mainly in Sci-Fi forum, called NicePartUsage), generate a lot interesting and eye-opener mocs. :wink:

these pieces look great for a mcpherson system

Even though these parts have frictions? These are ment to position a sculpture in any position... So basically these are "fixed" joints...

I don't think they are ok for suspension, as these ball joints have tight fit, with noticable friction. That's why I was wondering about structural implementation.

Actually I love to see how builders use the interoperability between Lego themes (mainly in Sci-Fi forum, called NicePartUsage), generate a lot interesting and eye-opener mocs. :wink:

We wrote about the exact same thing about the exact same time... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I deem them simply not technic and I try to get rid of them. I don't actually know why noone uses them.

For me using all different parts from whatever theme allows more and greater opportunities...

Edited by 2LegoOrNot2Lego...

Some of these parts are just awesome for Technic. Not sure why they are barely used. There is a nice advantage (as was already mentioned) you can position parts in desired shape and they will hold in place thanks to friction. I couldn't build some pieces of my Peugeot 205 model without help from Bionicle/Hero Facory pieces, like front fenders (each holds on single ball joint) and especially the engine cover!

26096096885_2f0df3a463_o.jpg

Edited by zux

Doesn't seem like a bad idea. Even many of the pieces are classified as Technic connectors in BL. So, Technic purists, you don't have to worry about them :tongue: .

The only downside is that after connect and disconnect the joints many times, it will lose some friction, but the advantages and possibilities are much more as sux made with his Peugeot

I used these bionicle joints once - i've built tripod for camera with few "tentacles", that can easily hold my mirrorless camera at any angle in any position. But it's not about technic)

And i found that using bionicle joint like this just can't slip out like regular ball joints, and have almost no friction at all. Usable for long travel baja truck rear suspension or something like this. Never used it myself in completed moc)

9mazbd8sqmuncj1zg.jpg

Wow, this is NPU! :classic:

Now, this is a surprising method, I have never thought about. Thank You for sharing!

@Zux: your Peugeot is a good example, I can spot more bionicle parts in the background. :thumbup:

If you can find them purpose...these parts are really useful, mainly 'cos they offer a great range of positions and rigid connections. I used variations of them for this, for example:

bar.jpg

3.JPG

I am also using lots of these bionicle parts for similar kind of suspensions and to create a "human" skeleton in 1:13 so I can have a realistic pose-able dummy for trucks and machinery.

If you can find them purpose...these parts are really useful, mainly 'cos they offer a great range of positions and rigid connections. I used variations of them for this, for example:

This is an amazing application! Cool... :thumbup: Did not realize this build has this equalizer bar...!!! Smart...

3.JPG

This is a beautiful machine. I do like the 'realism' such as recoil spring and equalizer bar. WOuld be nice to put a planetary gear redcution in the final drive, but that is not feasible with the current lego assortment of parts. Are you planning to publish instructions?

Edited by DrJB