goldengraham09

sidewalks with modular buildings

Hi all,

Just wondering how everyone creates good sidewalks with modular buildings and the road baseplates.

Purely because you have the little pavement outside the modular building but then have the stud spacing on the side of the road but when you try and put these together it looks to big for to me.

how would you go about creating a smaller pavement. would it be essentially moving the modular buildings forward on the baseplate and taking away the pavement and putting that on the Road baseplate?

or would you just create car spaces on the road baseplate to be like a real town layout etc?

sorry if that doesn't sound good.

I move my modulars to the edge of their baseplate. Then I tile over all of the studs on the road plate. I think that is the best "scale" for an accurate looking sidewalk.

I think the "move the modulars up" looks solid, but I don't like how it makes the modulars less "modular" in the sense that you lose the ability to easily move them around based on new additions to the city etc.

I don't like "just tile the road plates", either. My wife gave some feminine input and recommended... greenery. Obvious but overlooked.

Here are some pictures of our double Town Homes (auction sold some time back... not trying to solicit business... don't have a Flickr). Could be better pictures for showing the sidewalks but they should give you an idea. It's not quite how I would've done it if we had infinite money but we still like the result.

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1561.l2649

Edited by Pedilego

I like combing the sidewalk included with the modulars and the sidewalk included on the road plates. It gives me more room for people, trees, food carts, etc.

I have two types of streets planned for my city: alleys (no cars) and regular city streets. For my alleys, I simply tile the sidewalks with 2x2 tiles so that they will overhang by one stud. This allows me to place a small baseplate in between two modulars, and tile that. For my roads, I either tile onto my roadplate, or I keep the existing modular sidewalk, and simply put greenery and barriers on the road plate. Greenery or bike lanes really help to complete the mood and environment.

Here I used the studded edge of roadplates as parking space: http://mocpages.com/moc.php/366153 (with a bicycle path added between these and the modular's original sidewalk, since these old roadplates have very large studded edge)

And here I simply put the modular's base over the other plate, knowing that baseplate over stud gives the same height as a regular plate, adding 1 stud around them to have a clean border: http://mocpages.com/moc.php/413483

If you do not want too large sidewalks, this solution is easier since it does not require to move the modular and re-tile their sidewalk on roadplates.

When I first put my city together, I moved the modulars to the edge of the baseplate and then tiled the studs next to the road, but this doesn't work for the corner buildings and the modular system quickly falls apart.

So I moved everything back to where it was and tiled the lot. At a few places in my city I have used the extra space for parking bays, otherwise it just gives more room for the minifigs walk and for adding details like street lights and eventually some greenery.

17981556255_bf263038cb_c.jpgIMG_1690 by Adrian, on Flickr

I also like the idea that some people have done, and used the extra space for a bike path.

In the more suburban area of my city, I have used the studs on the side of the roadplate to put a row of grey tiles, to simulate the kerb, then a row of green (for grass) then a 2x row for a concrete footpath and then another 2x row of green

thanks all for the suggestions. think i will look at the bike path maybe :) that will take a few more studs up and then fill some parts with greenery and see how that goes :).

awesome suggestions from such a good community.

If you are doing a bike path, I think it would look better if you didn't use 2x2 tiles so there is a contrast in texture.

the extra sidewalk doesn't bother me, but I plan on putting 9V train tracks for a tram in the extra space and tiling up the tracks to blend in with the road.

Hi all,

Just wondering how everyone creates good sidewalks with modular buildings and the road baseplates.

Purely because you have the little pavement outside the modular building but then have the stud spacing on the side of the road but when you try and put these together it looks to big for to me.

how would you go about creating a smaller pavement. would it be essentially moving the modular buildings forward on the baseplate and taking away the pavement and putting that on the Road baseplate?

or would you just create car spaces on the road baseplate to be like a real town layout etc?

sorry if that doesn't sound good.

I'm going through a bit of this myself. Right now, I have them as parking spots(the studded area of roadplates). I had the Modulars sidewalk area connect to the studded area on the roadplates as well. I really did like it as it looked cleaner, but it was a bit of a pain-primarily with corner buildings as it would mess up the alignment of the baseplates.

To me, it seems parking spots are the best & easiest route to take.

Decorative walls are also a classy way of using unwanted space... consider adding brick-built graffiti?

how would this look btw guys?

not much but i think it would look quite good near modulars maybe.

It looks great. A way for bikes should be included in a nowadays town layout.

That's pretty nice. It's a good way to cover up the studded area without making the sidewalk huge.

17981556255_bf263038cb_c.jpg

Very nice, of course, but on the details and the cost is very expensive when a large amount of construction. I decided to collect easier. Select the color and you can not lift the curb and, moreover, in my view an imperfect, can not violate the essence of the holy collector collector Lego modular buildings and the principle of light moving in space. Here, a low-budget version of the construction of parking places for cars and lawns of any configuration. Especially because all the cars we have big, made strictly in the style of Lego city. And the bike path is not always possible to place. Trees I have not yet learned how to build. But I think that's obvious. Give me know what you think on the above subject. Thank you.

adaptaciya-zdaniya-muzeya-iz_112824.jpgadaptaciya-zdaniya-muzeya-iz_112823.jpg

Under spoiler great photos that could be seen carefully.

IMG_20160416_131951.jpg

IMG_20160416_131929.jpg

IMG_20160416_131823.jpg

IMG_20160416_131830.jpg

I have two types of streets planned for my city: alleys (no cars) and regular city streets. For my alleys, I simply tile the sidewalks with 2x2 tiles so that they will overhang by one stud. This allows me to place a small baseplate in between two modulars, and tile that. For my roads, I either tile onto my roadplate, or I keep the existing modular sidewalk, and simply put greenery and barriers on the road plate. Greenery or bike lanes really help to complete the mood and environment.

That alley area is a great idea, especially if one goes the route of moving the Modulars up & covering the roadplates studs with the existing sidewalk from the set. Since the corner buildings throw off the alignment with the roadplates. :thumbup: