Franco Clarke

[OL-FB1] A visit to the Harbour Master

Erwin and Pierre strolled through the streets of Breshaun, heading for the harbour master's office, which was in a corner of a rotting wooden warehouse near edge of the shipyards. However, when they got there, they found that it had been torn down and work had already begun on a replacement building.

'I have reason to believe that the harbour master might not be here any longer,' Erwin commented, 'perhaps one of the workers might be able to help us. '

Erwin walked over to one of the men who appeared to be in charge of a group of builders who were constructing an arched doorway. After a few minutes conversation, he returned. 'He has been temporarily transferred to the house behind Fort XI'

'Well that's very helpful, we passed that way on the way here, if I am not mistaken' replied Pierre.

They picked their way back across town towards Fort XI, with the hopes of finding the harbour master nearby.

'Oh yes, he's definitely here, look!' said Erwin as the neared the fort.

'I don't get where you're coming from, all I see is a house surrounded by a whole load of junk' retorted Pierre. He was indeed correct, there was a lot of junk arranged around the house behind the fort, piles of boxes, crates, barrels, chests, with larger objects lodged in between them. The mess sprawled out of the house's two ends and into the streets and alleyways all round.

26161968112_30624ceca9_z.jpg

'Yeah, you haven't met the harbour master yet have you? He's rather, well, eccentric, he collects everything and anything really, and he's been around quite a while' said Erwin 'It's probably best if I do the talking, he can be quite difficult to talk to the first time you meet him.'

They entered the house and edged past yet more stuff, mostly piles of books and papers. They climbed a narrow curved staircase and had to duck their heads to avoid bags of fruits and the skeleton of an unfortunate turtle which hug from the ceiling. In the house's single first story room they found a very similar situation to downstairs, with piles of chests and boxes lining either wall with little room to move. At the far end of the room was a large table covered in sheets of paper and other assorted stuff. Behind this was a middle aged man with an impressive beard.

As they entered he stood up and said in a low growly voice 'Ah Erwin, are you here to see me about the Vif by any chance?'

25651607363_4d315d6e32_z.jpg

Erwin nodded, and the harbour master stood up, knocking his table, causing a stack of paper to slide off and cover the floor.

'I really need to find a bigger place sometime, but at least this move has allowed me to tidy things up a little'

At this Pierre had to conceal his shock, a task which he achieved with dubious success. The harbour master leant over and grabbed a sheet from the spill on the floor.

'Here we go, one 2 gun sloop, Vif, launched from the royal shipyard 2 days ago, and moored at pier 23 currently. She's quite a nice ship and should be a trifle faster than that old bucket you currently have.' He gestured at Pierre 'My guess is that your friend here has probably been assigned to you to take over the Saler.'

Having said this, the harbour master sat back down, grabbed a sheet of paper and began furiously scribbling on it. Erwin pointed at the door and the fought their way out of the house. Once they were out, Pierre turned to Erwin.

'Well I can see why he's got his job, but how does one man acquired so much stuff?' he asked.

'That's just one of the many mysteries of the sea of storms' Erwin replies.

This is the second of my sections of Breshaun, this time containing Fort XI and the Harbour master's rented office. I apologize for the yellowing on a lot of bricks and will aim to clean them up a little once I have the time.

Taking into consideration the previous comments on photography, I have tried improving, and any feedback to how successful that has been would be much appreciated.

26228348316_26007375b1_z.jpg

26161836232_3ea2025be4_z.jpg

The cramped interior of Fort XI, which is a fort only in name being more of a little bastion probably. This photo wasn't so good; I should have probably moved the light overhead.

25651607033_069e82c59f_z.jpg

The inside of the office, without all the junk!

25649501294_8f6f30b399_z.jpg

The triple-gun which is normally emplaced to the left of the fort, here attached to its limber and ready for transit. The gun was based on the classic pirate set 'pirate gun cart' and is probably totally un-historical.

26188009161_3303d6d19c_z.jpg

Finally a wider shot of the harbour master's junk!

26188009171_88ea890545_z.jpg

The triple-gun which is normally emplaced to the left of the fort, here attached to its limber and ready for transit. The gun was based on the classic pirate set 'pirate gun cart' and is probably totally un-historical.

You would think so wouldn't you? However, they did exist and were designed by Leonardo Da vinci I believe? However, the Chinese had used this sort of weapon years before him, only whit fire arrows and rockets. The major flaw of this design was the loading process, it would take forever to load all those guns, aim and then fire. Also they were not used in the field but to defend roads, bridges etc. Example of this can be found in American Civil war.

Here´s a hint of how it would look like in real life. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-3NpStluHUho/ThBXaLEa2NI/AAAAAAAAAME/u23H7IQxbuw/s1600/A%2BBillinghurst-Requa%2Bbattery%2Bgun.jpg

ONTO THE BUILD: Now that´s all well and said, back to the build itself: I love how you managed to capture that cramped feeling in the first two pictures, it really feels like there wont be much space to move. Gods have mercy if there were to be a battle even in that sort of space.... The fort.... Or bastion as you preferred it to be, is well designed and very cozy looking. Not that it would be able to put much of a fight maybe, but at least the soldiers feel homely. thumbup.gif

Captain Becker

Great scene, with all that junk (one man's trash... and all that)! I particularly like the second photo, I think that worked out really well especially the glimpse we get of the harbour master. I like the throwback style of the fort too, very nostalgic.

Looks like we've found the original hoarderpir_laugh2.gif. Now all that's left is for him to have his own TV show.

The build is really nice. The style is instantly recognizable as classic pirates.

I recommend making the gun ports somewhat larger. Right now, it looks fairly hard to aim the guns anywhere other than directly ahead (which doesn't do too much good if the enemy attacks from any other side).

I love it. You captured the cramped feeling and atmosphere perfectly. The triple gun cart is very cool. I love those early overpowered solutions that not always work out well. Also, the whole build is very classic piratey pirate_satisfied.gif:thumbup:

And now my suggestions for improving photo and build :

The wall on the sea side could maybe benefit of using some plates to make a smoother, but still keeping the jarred transition from white to yellow.

On the photo taken outside, from the land side, I found I got feedback on one of my builds to hold up a piece of paper (or a reflector of some sort). In this picture you would hold it to the right side of the picture. This greatly improves light and reduces sharp shadows.

That harbourmaster could be easily be me! :-p

Great story btw and i love the way this junk is piling up and your photos are definitely better than those in earlier works of you.

Thank you for all your comments, I am glad you enjoyed the hoarder, or has he prefers to be known, 'collector of fine things' pirate_laugh2.gif

You would think so wouldn't you? However, they did exist and were designed by Leonardo Da vinci I believe? However, the Chinese had used this sort of weapon years before him, only whit fire arrows and rockets. The major flaw of this design was the loading process, it would take forever to load all those guns, aim and then fire. Also they were not used in the field but to defend roads, bridges etc. Example of this can be found in American Civil war.

Here´s a hint of how it would look like in real life. http://1.bp.blogspot...battery+gun.jpg

Wow, I always thought this was neat little design lego had come up with, not a real thing! I think I will have to go back and make a more accurate version of it now. The design reminds me of a similar weapon the British used alongside the early Gatling guns, although I can't remember what it was called.

I recommend making the gun ports somewhat larger. Right now, it looks fairly hard to aim the guns anywhere other than directly ahead (which doesn't do too much good if the enemy attacks from any other side).

Thank you for the heads-up, I guess I was thinking along the lines of a warship, but off-course that would be able to turn! I will have to modify another fort which I have built with the same flaw.

The wall on the sea side could maybe benefit of using some plates to make a smoother, but still keeping the jarred transition from white to yellow.

On the photo taken outside, from the land side, I found I got feedback on one of my builds to hold up a piece of paper (or a reflector of some sort). In this picture you would hold it to the right side of the picture. This greatly improves light and reduces sharp shadows.

Thank you for the advice, especially that one about the paper, I have tried it now and it certainly improves things a lot.

Wow, I always thought this was neat little design lego had come up with, not a real thing! I think I will have to go back and make a more accurate version of it now. The design reminds me of a similar weapon the British used alongside the early Gatling guns, although I can't remember what it was called.

I suggest you start watching these documentaries called: Tales of the Gun. At the start is the gun we are talking about.

These are great source of inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CjvB5XmUlk&list=PLl7ljrpEfEs_Nj-j7E7ad7sJ5ns7K6jNL&index=11

Captain Becker

Lovely classic feeling! I'd recommend some less grey room around it

Nice fort, mr. Clarke! I was sure I already commented on this, as I definitely remember laughing to my self at that hoarder! pir_laugh2.gif

As to the firing arch of the guns: While your gun ports might be on the small side, keep in mind that guns back then would probably not be on a turntable, but on trucks (small wheels) and rather than turn around the place a turntable would fix it, they would be moved sideways (turning around the gun ports instead. That way, the guns can turn without exposing the gunners to the fire through a large gunport! pirate_blush.gif

Looks very classy! Brings me back on my mind the origin of all this: classic pirates. I love to see this from time to time.

Nice fort, mr. Clarke! I was sure I already commented on this, as I definitely remember laughing to my self at that hoarder! pir_laugh2.gif

As to the firing arch of the guns: While your gun ports might be on the small side, keep in mind that guns back then would probably not be on a turntable, but on trucks (small wheels) and rather than turn around the place a turntable would fix it, they would be moved sideways (turning around the gun ports instead. That way, the guns can turn without exposing the gunners to the fire through a large gunport! pirate_blush.gif

Ah that makes sense, and I guess lego is only a representation after all!

Also, as to being a hoarder, I have all these damn boats all over the place pirate_laugh2.gif

Nice build. I like the junk, it works surprisingly well. And it warms my heart seeing old worn bricks used :)

This is a nice little build and a fun read. The harbor master's collection of... stuff makes for a pretty good picture, and the fort/bastion turned out well besides the small gunports. I wouldn't worry too much about yellowed bricks, unless they're terriblly so. Keep it up.

Nice build. I like the junk, it works surprisingly well. And it warms my heart seeing old worn bricks used :)

Thank you, I find that old bricks can often make the build look tatty, which is good in some circumstances.

This is a nice little build and a fun read. The harbor master's collection of... stuff makes for a pretty good picture, and the fort/bastion turned out well besides the small gunports. I wouldn't worry too much about yellowed bricks, unless they're terriblly so. Keep it up.

Thank you, I enjoyed sorting out all kinds of bits to put in that picture, including some things which definitely shouldn't be there! The pictures have been kind, and especially some of the grey is very yellowed.