Medievalego

Question: do people buy you LEGOs as gifts?

So,

It's a pretty straightforward question: do they?

My own answer is a resounding no. This is so for two reasons, one of which might, at first, seem to be my own fault, the other is definitely not my fault--and I will argue is also directly responsible for the first reason.

1) I don't tell most new acquaintances about my LEGO habits. It's just something they don't need to know about. For now. Or, forever.

2) People I know seem to resist egging me on further. It was a novelty when I was 16 (Ooooh, no! He still collects them, wow), but now that I'm 26, it's just plain ridiculous. I think it's like an intervention or something, the collective not getting me something that I'd really like as a gift.

But, based upon this perceived distaste for my collecting, I choose not to tell more people about, make sense?

The best part is that anyone who really had an issue with it, is probably not worth knowing anyway :)

How's it work for the rest of you?

So,

It's a pretty straightforward question: do they?

My own answer is a resounding no. This is so for two reasons, one of which might, at first, seem to be my own fault, the other is definitely not my fault--and I will argue is also directly responsible for the first reason.

1) I don't tell most new acquaintances about my LEGO habits. It's just something they don't need to know about. For now. Or, forever.

2) People I know seem to resist egging me on further. It was a novelty when I was 16 (Ooooh, no! He still collects them, wow), but now that I'm 26, it's just plain ridiculous. I think it's like an intervention or something, the collective not getting me something that I'd really like as a gift.

But, based upon this perceived distaste for my collecting, I choose not to tell more people about, make sense?

The best part is that anyone who really had an issue with it, is probably not worth knowing anyway :)

How's it work for the rest of you?

Well, for me, my parents get me Legos on Christmas and my birthday.

I don't tend to tell new aquaintances about my love for Lego *wub* But, if it's being brought up in a conversation I will tell them. I made a friend like that by hearing him say something about the Republic gunship, and now, he might be joining this forums soon.

*sweet*

Not really. My wife bought me the Ultimate Lightsaber Duel (hey, its the thought that counts) as a graduation gift. But that's been all anyone's gotten me since I was around 16 or so. I'm hopefully this year though...

Steve

LEGOs, what's that? :-D ;-)

In all seriousness, yes, they do. But then again, I can't even drive yet! ;-)

People would rather not buy them for me (as gifts) though, which doesn't make a whole lotta since to me, because when they see my MOCs, they're astounded most of the time. Do they think the LEGO sets sit on a shelf and collect dust? :-$ Well, yes, but not forever. :-D They're recycled back into MOCs. X-D

My wife buys sets for me, but that's about it. I find it all quite absurd. I am honest with people that I love Lego, but people a still buy me silly things. For example, last year my sister bought for me some photo albums and some photo coasters. Since I have been using a digital camera for about 8 years and I rarely print any out that present was absolutely balmy. My Mum last year bought me an Australian Idol winner CD, even though she knows I hate the show... *wacko* I would be orgasmically happy with just a five dollar set...

Well my family has no problem in buying me sets! X-D

My mum for Christmas is getting me King's Castle Seige and the Creator House (not the Town House ;-) )

My sister is getting me the new Service station for Christmas too.

My mum also bought me some multiple castle sets, and for a treat Dad got me the Harbour this year! :'-)

Although, they didn't used to be that way, my parents got me two romance-thriller novels for one of my birthdays! *wacko*

Clearly batbrick's mind has turned to mush! *wacko*

well I being 16 still get sked wha I want and I ask for lego. However when I get older, I intend to be very upfront about my hobby. I'll laugh with anyone who laughs at me for it, and if they're my real freinds they'll get me what I want. I reccomend you do the same, you can't just go on hiding these things.

Edited by john cleese

I think i created a topic like this..anyway, i know how you feel, I dont think any of my mates know im Stillinto lego, only my brother (because he sometimes spots me going on EB) but he dosnt say anything and also my mum knows sometimes when she peaks in my bedroom she'll see me MOCing but she wont say anything but she dosnt know i ride up to the shops to get a new set every once in a while :-P (once evry 5 weeks to be exact ;-) ) but alas none of my friends know about my little absession and i dont really see why. Somewtimes i might bring it up or advise them to get it as a present for there little cousin.brother but besides that i dont really talk about it much and you dont have to *y* and if you ever get payed out for liking lego we'll get hinck to go and wack em'! ;-) *y*

Well, my parents haven't bought me any since i was about 15. But they don't care about my hobby.

My girlfriend has bought me a few small city sets, but she's the only one to get sets for me.

As for friends, none of them really care about my hobby!

Well, my parents haven't bought me any since i was about 15. But they don't care about my hobby.

My girlfriend has bought me a few small city sets, but she's the only one to get sets for me.

As for friends, none of them really care about my hobby!

Thinking about it, I think most adults get disgruntled around christmas and because they know they arent going to get what the really want, they'll send out a bunch of crap to their freinds, ties, golf bag shaped pencil holders, picture frames, etc.... If you ever get an article of clothing, ask for the reciept saying it doesnt fit, get a refund at the store and go on a lego spending spree. ;-)

Edited by john cleese

I'm 22 years old (Rather, turned 22 in November). I'm at university, and I live with one flatmate and she's also my best friend. I've lived with her now about three years.

I've been out of the hobby for a while but came out of my dark ages in January. She thought it was weird (Yet "endearing") at first but since then she's even been known to build a new set with me. For my birthday she and her sister got me 7994 City Harbor. I was really happy. :-)

Just about all my main friends know about my LEGO addition, but my parents don't (I was a huge LEGO fan up until the age of about 16 but they don't know I've gotten back into it). My main reason being that they'd kill me for spending money on it since I'm supposed to be a "poor student". :-P

My relatives would never buy me any sort of lego, albeit I usually just ask for money around xmas time anyways. If I asked for lego they would probably get me megablocks anyways :-$

My parents used to get me lego, but now that im older I choose out specifically what sets id like to get and go shopping with them, I just dont get them till xmas :-P

Do my friends buy me any lego?

Um.. What friends? :-D

In all seriousness, no, my one best friend knows I love lego, but doesnt care, we just get eachother gag gifts on eachothers birthdays, like man thongs, ky warming lube, or golden toilet seats! X-D

Gag gifts ON!

My partner would never buy me Lego, she thinks I allready has way too much. But last birthday I got a MMT from one of my friends.. he is now conisered to be my BEST friend..

But I have given away Lego to some of my non AFOL friends,( and it has allways been much appriciated..)

especially the big Ferarri sets..

Untill I was about twelve, thirteen, all my parents bought for me w

Edited by CF WeaZZel

I used to always get Lego for birthdays and Christmases, but the last few years it's dwindled. Last Christmas I got two smallish sets rather than the 'usual' large set, and last birthday I didn't get any.

I think part of the reason for that is that my parents (and my friends to a certain extent) don't really know what exactly to get me. It's not that they don't appreciate or understand my hobby obsession, and it's not that they want me to stop, it's just that they don't know which themes I do and don't want, and my friends know even less. Now, I don't expect my friends to buy me Lego, but if they did want to, they'd have to ask me what to get. Besides, my dad can never remember any of the sets I point out...

That's the beauty of money. I can buy my own Lego after Christmas and it's usually the new years worth, reather than whatever's left in the shops from last year.

I don't mind really. Still, it'd be nice to get some this Christmas.

Well, for my birthday, this year I got:

The Secret Sphyinx suprise(From my parents)

and Lobster Strike from my friend.

This Christmas I'm getting:

Black seas Barracuda from my parents.

And Indiana Jones Box set from Santa.

Simple answer : Yes they do.

1. I got the new firestation at work as a present when my daughter was born.

2. I always get an easter egg plus a small lego set from my mom for..well...Easter

3. This year my mother-in-law took all her childrens old Fabuland and packed it in an Advent calendar for me *wub* *wub* *wub*

Maybe I'm just a lucky fellow X-D

KimT

After years and years of asking, I'm just now starting to get sets as gifts! I'm usually much more reactive when I get something like that as opposed to a can opener or something.

Not that I can't use a can opener right now but you get the idea.

My parents and most of my friends are either unaware of my LEGO hobby, or just plainly don't care. My girlfriend isn't really into LEGO as well, but she does get me LEGO presents sometimes, because she knows I value those above all other presents. Most people just give money, less fun but always useful.

Sadly little, though my Other Half did buy me the new Y-Wing for my birthday.

I've made it very clear that the second best possible Christmas present woudl be the AT-AT, but she's struggling to get it.

The best best would be a new Katana. A real one, that is.

I'm lucky to have parents who are very good sports about my hobby. They bought me the Alpha 1 Rocket Base for Christmas way back in 1979, and they've been buying me Lego sets ever since. They think I'm nuts, but they keep buying them anyway!

And my mother-in-law buys me Lego sets too!

The best best would be a new Katana. A real one, that is.

So I guess you

Well, I'm something of an anomoly , as I'm 36 years old, and I never had a dark age. It all started when my parents bought me a Lego rescue helicopter set for me when I was about 4, which I think they've regretted ever since! :-D Anyways, my sister still gets me Lego(my mom usually pitches in a little ) for birthdays and Christmas, as well as my wife, dear that she is. My wife wasn't into lego , but she now has a nearly complete collection of Harry Potter sets, as well as the ETX Alien Mothership Assault and ETX Alien Strike sets from Mars Mission. She still doesn't have much interest in Lego, though. More's the pity.

Everybody knows that the only gifts I want are Lego or cash to buy Lego X-D

I'm 35 and my wife, kids, parents, in-laws and maybe other family members will be buying sets. Some are wary of buying sets as they don't want to duplicate any I already have - so I keep reminding them that it doesn't matter if there are duplicates, Lego is Lego and I can never have enough of it.

I've been bought Lego as small gifts from people at works as a 'thank you' and/or for birthdays/easter/xmas

This year we are buying Lego for 1 of our nephews and for our son and have bought Lego as presents for other occassions too.

So, for me, yes people do buy Lego as gifts