Sign in to follow this  
Col. Whipstick

French flags for your creations!

Okay folks, here are the French flags to follow the British ones which I'm hoping to see on your MOC's. At present I cannot alter the flags jagged lines and if this is a problem for you consult the British flag thread on how to amend these according to Mr Phes.

One of the problems having done all these flags is unlike today national flags don't carry the same officiality of use in the past and very often these flags are in use at the same time or owing to changes in political power these flags are frequently swapped. The French flags in particular are difficult to use with historical accuracy. Effectively the Ill-de-France flag - the blue one is the Medieval flag of France but was still in use for the colonies while the main national flag changed. The official flag of France and also her naval ensign prior to the French revolution seems to have been a plain solid white flag which obviously would look pointless to render or on anyone's model. During the French revolution started in 1789, the Tri-colour is introduced but it is removed when the Bourbons seize power once more after the final defeat of Napolean. For a brief period the Bourbon styled flag is in use, a call back to the old plain white flag but this time with numerous gold fluer-de-les. In 1830 the Tricolour is reintroduced and whilst that too has been tweaked it remains the one we all recognise. For a more in depth history on these flags, please visit:

Wikipedia Link

lego_old_french_flag.gif

lego_french_bourbon_flag.gif

lego_french_flag.gif

The usual ensign of French royal ships was just a plain white flag.

During the first republic, an older version of the tricolor flag was introduced in 1794 in the navy, then the current tricolor was introduced until the fall of Napoleon and reintroduced in 1830 under the king Louis-Phlippe (who fought at Valmy alongside the revolution troops in 1792)

During the first republic, an older version of the tricolor flag was introduced in 1794 in the navy, then the current tricolor was introduced until the fall of Napoleon and reintroduced in 1830 under the king Louis-Phlippe (who fought at Valmy alongside the revolution troops in 1792)

Yes but I decided the plain white wasn't worth developing as I doubted anyone would use it. Thank you for adding history to this thread. :-)

Nice! When will the Dutch come and conquer the seas? :-)

Nice! When will the Dutch come and conquer the seas? :-)

I should be able to get onto the Dutch flags today, sadly this forum doesn't have much in the way of Portuguese or Spanish members so they will be last for not screaming so loudly.

I thought that was the flag for surrender...

SlyOwl

Edited by SlyOwl

I thought that was the flag for surrender...

SlyOwl

Indeed, how confusing... One wonders why the frogs dropped the Ill de France, perhaps there was a shortage of blue dye. X-D

hm I have looked at your flags in details and I fear you are confused about one thing, you have to keep in mind a flag is not an ensign and this is even more important to remember that for moden times as the country ensigns generally didn't match the country flags. I don't have time for the moment to find you some examples but try typing ensigns and not flags on Wikipedia etc. French ensign for example.