Etzel

[MOC] The Sleeping Dragon Inn

This is my take on the 41174 Starlight Inn set that I picked up a few weeks ago. I'm normally not a big fan of sets and usually only sees them as parts pack but I liked the idea of this one. However, I didn't really like the use of some colours and wanted to use them more realistically, e.g. only green plants and leaves and keep the purple and pink for the interior. The structure is made to reflect the set with a kitchen and sitting room at the ground floor, and a bedroom and a balcony with a telescope on the upper floor, as well as the rounded window.

No thought has been given to how this would go with whatever stories goes on at the Elves tv show, comics, books or whatever, I don't care about them at all. This is just my try to make a better inn that could go with the Elves minidolls. :classic:

26120055451_f491da4edb_c.jpg

26093929942_8bfd2d9c87_c.jpg

25913520320_b3042c2018_z.jpg

26160440866_2b5eeeca15_c.jpg

26160442246_a1b3e02ea8_z.jpg

26160442376_47ff298626_z.jpg

26093934232_7166e454d8_z.jpg

26093934372_dc0d4c3c33_z.jpg

Thanks for watching! :sweet:

/Etzel

Wonderful expansion to the inn to make it much more complete(and livable)! I really like how you built it asymmetrically. The abundance of green tiles and foliage make it look like it part of a forest.

Really nice alternative! I would love to see a village of buildings built in this style!

Thanks a lot! It was indeed my intention to make it look like the inn was located in a forest, because that was how I pictured it when I first saw the set. A whole village would surely look awesome, but that's for someone else to build. :wink:

This is really a wonderful Elves MOC! The shape of the building is interesting, and I like that you have the trees growing out of it. It makes feel very "Elvesy." I noticed the windows on the first floor have a lattice pattern. Is that printed or a sticker? I might have to get some of those... I like the shape of the smoke coming out of the chimney, too. The use of the white bread rolls, horns and plumes really make it feel like the smoke is billowing out.

Replace the Elves with minifigures and this Inn would fit well in many Medieval or fantasy settings.

Nice use of the trees to support one wall and the chimney side.. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Edited by Venunder

Thanks! :sweet:

I noticed the windows on the first floor have a lattice pattern. Is that printed or a sticker? I might have to get some of those...

It's stickers, from 70810 MetalBeard's Sea Cow.

It has such a cozy atmosphere! It looks like the type of thing that you suddenly stumble upon after a long day of exploring the dense forests. Fantastic interpretation of the set! :thumbup:

As seen in the two-part movie, The Starlight Inn is actually up in the mountains --- not a forest, and not a village. Although, I'm sure other Inns could be around --- like in a forest. After all, it takes a while to get up into the mountains, right?

The Secret Market Place is in a village, though.

Such a beautiful creation, not a big fan of the Elves.

Such pleasing colors and arches! truly fantastic! I feel like I have found gold in the middle of the woods!

Very atmospheric! I like design of everything here, so clean and with good proportions. But I think it's too tidy and orderly for those elves, who like crystals and magenta flovers everywhere :sweet:

I love your creation. Such a beautiful fairy tale building. Love the mossy green roof and the asymmetric shape and how you've nestled it into the tree. The interior looks so cosy and inviting, but also without clutter. I also like the big fireplace where the elves can easily cook.

Edited by alsielou

This is simply outstanding! Bought the Starlight Inn set recently and was going to build a larger version myself, but it will be extremely hard to top this one...

Thanks everyone! I'm happy you liked it! :sweet:

This is simply outstanding! Bought the Starlight Inn set recently and was going to build a larger version myself, but it will be extremely hard to top this one...

Thanks for you nice words, but don't let my build discourage you. There are countless new and different variations to be built! :wink:

Excellent build !

I am not really fan of elves but that inn is just great ! It would fit in any medieval / fantasy universe.

Good job ! :thumbup:

This MOC is fantastic! While I'm a bit disappointed by the diminished color variation on the exterior compared to the Starlight Inn set, the interior more than makes up for it with a very warm and inviting color scheme. And I have to admit that the juxtaposition of the quiet, almost camouflaged appearance of the exterior and the vibrant and busy interior does have its own sort of appeal.

On a side note, this really it makes me wonder once again why Lego Elves discussion and MOCs aren't in the historic themes subforum. This is a fantastic MOC, on par with some of the very best medieval fantasy MOCs, and really if it weren't for the mini-dolls it wouldn't stand out that much as specific to the Elves theme. And despite the "historic" naming, the historic themes subforum has always been the home of medieval fantasy of all stripes, including licensed themes like Lord of the Rings. But whatever. I've long since come to terms with the fact that many Eurobricks castle fans would rather continue to discuss discontinued themes until the end of days, rather than have to accept anything new and different. And it works out well for me, since it shunts discussion of so many of my favorite themes into the same catch-all forum.

Wow, this is lovely! I almost wish the actual sets were colored like this instead of the garish colors they currently have.

The building just looks so warm and inviting. A nice, peaceful getaway after a hard day adventuring. Also love how the trees are integrated into the building. Like they're natural supports. Just increases the fantasy feel.

Thanks again! It's nice to see that it can please builders from different sides of the fan base. :classic:

On a side note, this really it makes me wonder once again why Lego Elves discussion and MOCs aren't in the historic themes subforum. This is a fantastic MOC, on par with some of the very best medieval fantasy MOCs, and really if it weren't for the mini-dolls it wouldn't stand out that much as specific to the Elves theme. And despite the "historic" naming, the historic themes subforum has always been the home of medieval fantasy of all stripes, including licensed themes like Lord of the Rings. But whatever. I've long since come to terms with the fact that many Eurobricks castle fans would rather continue to discuss discontinued themes until the end of days, rather than have to accept anything new and different. And it works out well for me, since it shunts discussion of so many of my favorite themes into the same catch-all forum.

I do agree that the Elves theme could've fitted great with in the historic subforum. It is in many way similar to the many different castle themes, only made for a different target group. However, it's currently the only active theme in the A&A subforum that lends itself to MOCing to a high degree so it has a purpose of balancing the topics here. The A&A forum holds a great number of themes but its biggest problem is that it has too few MOCs to keep the interest up when the theme ends. Adventurers is an exception, and I believe Elves could have that potential too if it weren't for those mini-dolls. Character customization is one of my favourite parts of the LEGO hobby and an important part of MOCing, but minifigs are so much better suited for that.

As for Eurobricks Castle fans affection for discussing discontinued themes I think you are missing that fact that the historic subforum is one of the largest and most active parts of Eurobricks, especially when it comes to MOCing thanks to Guilds of Historica. The amount of creativity that is shown there does not come without new inspirations and different ideas. :wink:

Absolutely gorgeous build, Etzel! :wub: The colors work together perfectly, and I love the way you did the curving windows and arches over the doorway :thumbup:

Great work on the interior as well, there's some really nice furniture designs there :classic:

Lovely expansion/remake of Starlight Inn.Great details all around, but the way you have headlight bricks with cheese slopes on the front wall really stood out to me :wub: Superb interior as well, with details like a woodpile, cozy bed, and telescope it looks like quite a comfortable home :classic: