Sign in to follow this  
Gideon

[OL-Ch2B] Victory on Île de Zeus

This is my entry for Challenge II - Defending Yer Claims, category B.

This event took place during the initial wave of exploration in New Terra, before Oleon established a permanent presence on the island.

Most revered chieftain, there have been trespassers on our sacred island!

They came from one of those huge canoes with sails big like the clouds in the sky. We met a band of their warriors in the tall forest and they were clothed in blood! They were also carrying magical blowpipes which were bellowing lightning and smoke at us. Our brave warriors were at first stricken with fear of the magic, but when we saw that they could die like any man and that their blowpipes were not as fast as ours we rallied under the ancestral cries of war and defeated the invaders. Their companions paddled back in their small canoe to their big canoe with sails like clouds. The abomination left through the mists for other waters. May the Ancestors help us to keep our waters and this sacred island safe from more of these filthy invaders!

Probably Oleon’s endeavour of pacifying Île de Zeus will not be without bloodshed either...

25886465910_581a4e8365_c.jpg

The whole scene

25886468660_13e8e3b074_z.jpg

Closing in on the enemy

25886468730_5f7b49c87b_z.jpg

Brave warriors

26066886252_cde4f692ec_z.jpg

Reload! Reload!

25886468380_9b8736f464_z.jpg

I see them! They can't hide in those blood-stained clothes!

26093010371_529203ce91_z.jpg

My poisonous arrow hit it's mark. Another is ready!

I tried to play a bit with more direct off-camera flash to simulate sunlight, do you like it? :classic:

25554584314_292d9557df_z.jpg

Edited by Gideon

Amazing vegetation, lovely figure posing and great story. Your trees are phenomenal. And I like the new photo technique. Mind you I like all your photos, I wish I could get mine to turn out like that!

Those very gnarly tree-trunks are excellently well done, and so is the vegetation farther down. Great action with the Indians and the Corries there! :thumbup:

Those trees!! They're amazing, and the vegetation overall is fantastic, such a beautiful setting for the horrible attack on innocent Corries. Great depiction though, the blow-pipe idea with the poisoned darts is inspired.

Yet again you outdid yourself! What a fabulous vegetation, tree trunks (a pain to make them in so little time?) and minifigs! Give those Corries hell!

What i made me impression the most though was that wicker shield this native holds. It is so real life!!

That vegetation... You're a master :wub:

I also like the one with the poisonous arrow

Thank you! This was a fairly rushed build to meet the deadline so I took a few shortcuts technique-wise which I hope are not too visible :wink:

I like the new photo technique. Mind you I like all your photos, I wish I could get mine to turn out like that!

Its not a lot new, the only difference is that I'm playing around with the positioning and direction of a slave flash in addition to the on-camera flash I'm bouncing off the ceiling.

Oh man, those trees are perfect :pir-wub:. Wonderful parts usage to create some unique trees that would fit in with any jungle scene. The rest of the vegetation is nicely done, too, and it's nice to read a story where Oleon isn't the one having trouble with the natives.

Stunning scene, Gideon!

I really like how the canopy of your trees looks, nice and thick and probably way more stable than mine. :tongue:

I also think you manage to get a very nice vegetation on the ground. The use of the palm leaves sideways is really well done, you managed to hide their connections really well. :thumbup:

Brilliant trees, nice photography, great entry overall.

I love how this build displays how small those humans are compared to the forest.

You are really rocking these depictions of jungles, mangroves, etc. Very well done, Gideon, and as someone else said, the scale of the trees is very effective.

I do prefer the light in the first pictures to the last one, although it does have a certain dramatic effect.

Well done!

Awesome trees and wonderful vegetation, Gideon, and the minifig posing is not disappointing! Great idea with those blow-pipes as well! pirate_wink.gif

I prefer the pics without the flash though, as it seems to mess with the idea conveyed by the build that it is in the middle of a large forest - in which case there would be no sunlight coming from an angle like that, but instead it would be coming down from above through the canopy of the trees. Maybe if you could increase the light bouncing off the ceiling that would give it a more in-forest aspect pirate_classic.gif

Great job and excellent entry overall! pirate_satisfied.gif

I echo all the comments about the amazing trees and vegetation. Well done! But I wanted to add that I really like the detail of the ramrod for the soldier' muskets. I will steal that down the road (and as much of your vegetation techniques as I can manage).

Fantastic setting! Those gnarly trees are brilliant and make great use of what I thought were useless parts. The rest of the vegetation makes a perfect jungle scene and the minifig posing, accessories, and storytelling are all really good. Excellent work!

Wonderful. I can imagine the horror of patrolling through the almost impenetrable jungle.