MaineBrickFan

Clear coat over decals?

I know others on here use waterslide decals for their trains. If you do, do you apply any kind of clearcoat to protect the decals during shows, handling, etc.? I know custom minifig makers use Krylon, and some train model makers use Future, but was just curious if anyone on here has experimented with protective coats on their trains -- and the techniques used to apply it.

Also interested in this! I've applied some water slide decals to a lego loco and am wondering if I should "clear coat" with Micro-Sol?

I put clear coat below and over top my water slide decals. Once the paint dries, I cut the decals on brick joints and clear coat the edge. That way if the model breaks, the decal will not.

I put clear coat below and over top my water slide decals. Once the paint dries, I cut the decals on brick joints and clear coat the edge. That way if the model breaks, the decal will not.

Do you clearcoat the whole model, or only those bricks/sections with decals? I assume you use a spray can?

Do you clearcoat the whole model, or only those bricks/sections with decals? I assume you use a spray can?

I use a small brush and only put it where it needs to be.

What's the brand of clear coat? Link possibly?

Tamiya Semi-Gloss...as close to a LEGO finish as I have seen. I try to only coat the marked/decaled bricks/tiles. Cleaner and easier that way.