Sign in to follow this  
Paperballpark

[WIP] Rey's Speeder

This is my large-scale model of Rey's Speeder. It's currently a work-in-progress, built to the scale of the Constraction figure, and is about 64 studs long.

I decided to build it because I realised that a speeder at minifig scale is never going to look right - because the minifigs aren't scaled right! If you make it to scale with the minifig height, then the width and head size of the minifig will look too big. Equally, if you scale it to the size of the head, then the minifig will look too short. Plus, of course, the minifig can't 'ride' it. So I decided to do a large-scale version instead.

I've been working on it for about three months now. I wasn't originally going to show this until it was finished, as I wanted people's first sight of it to be the finished model, but I thought I'd show it off now because it won't actually be finished until late summer.

I still need to replace all the white with Dark Orange parts, and also use some Dark Orange to cover the parts that are still exposed. I also need to do a net for the side of it, and make the foot-stands for Rey's feet to rest on.

I haven't done a proper piece count yet, but it's easily in excess of 2000 pieces. The main thing is pretty solid, and also pretty heavy!

So here's where I'm up to:

26111346576_92566fc9fa_b.jpg

26070944771_8a6d71de68_b.jpg

26044814292_24261ecf0f_b.jpg

Edited by Paperballpark

Wow! :wub: This is verrry impressive! So I guess it won't be able to open like the set?

Thanks! No, that particular 'play feature' is not present (and never should have been IMHO). The interior is a big technic frame - it's purely a display model.

Speaking of the net, how are you going to accomplish that? I assume you're not going to tie a whole bunch of official Lego nets together? :laugh:

That's awesome! A BB-8, perhaps using one of the planet assemblies as a base(some custom stickers applied as well) would make a cool BB-8 to along with it. I'm not a huge fan of the constraction figures but it definitely nice to see MOCs at this scale.

Speaking of the net, how are you going to accomplish that? I assume you're not going to tie a whole bunch of official Lego nets together? :laugh:

You'll have to wait and see! :wink:

Lots of people have been upset with TLC's interpretation of the speeder and for good reason. However this model is scaled perfectly to the new figure-- excellent job :thumbup:

Yeah I looked through all the Dark Orange pieces, but there was nothing that worked. Thank goodness there was cheese slopes!

looks good, keep it going. I'm working on my own version but have also difficulties with places where the rounded parts come together. That 1/4 dome is 1 stud short (I have a slope of 4 studs). I'm afraid this won't be easy to get right

Wow, great!

I guess now we have to wait for a constraction Millenium Falcon, right? :)