just2good

Disney Collectible Minifigures Series 1 Discussion

Well, each to his own.

I can understand people were looking forward to this, but I find this batch completely uninteresting. More or less what I expected.

Retro is fine, but these look completely outdated.

A pass for me, therefore.

Maybe it will lead to some better parts availability here and there.

For collectors, a must have, obviously.

I've been watching this themed wave from afar since I'm personally weary of getting into another property (considering I just got pulled back into Star Wars); so although I've not been vocal about it, I was really excited for this wave.

Was. I think because of my preconceptions of what this wave could have been, or the fact that we were led to believe there would be certain things and not others (Jafar :look: ), I'm more disappointed than I should be. Personally, I'm really only interested in the villains anyways, so on that front I think Lego is doing well. Ursula is utterly amazing: the hair, the tentacles--I just hope she has an evil alternate face too. I'd be lying if I didn't say she might end up being one of my favorite minifigures ever. Maleficent is a welcome surprise, and I think she delivers well. I love her face and horns, as well as the top half of her cape--I'm only disappointed in the normal standard bottom half of the cape, which is a bit boring. Something more accurate would have been nice. I'm always looking to add more magic folk to my collection too. :thumbup:

Other villains I don't think were nearly as successful. Syndrome is weird frainkly. The hair piece is amazing, and I hope he has molded white boots, but man that face destroys the figure. Captain hook is really iffy to me. Likewise his face just looks wrong. But he has a new hook piece. I guess that gives Lego more excuses to make even more CMF Captains! :grin:

Most everything else in my opinion are total passes. I do feel slightly obligated to get Mickey--so he can assert his dominance over my other properties, beating them with a bat if they step out of line, and then grow to tremendous proportions to melt cities with his angry fire breath. But that aside, Pan is nice, Alice is nice, Stitch (whatever that is) is nice. Ariel is good. Then there's terrible ones like Mr. Fantastic Incredible, the Genie, and Buzz. :sick:

In short, I would like this series to continue--though I need more villains. Especially Gaston, Hades (who considering Ghost Rider, should have been included instead of those two rehashes), Cruella de Vil (see Hades, but substitute Kraven) and Jafar. More villains!

Alien..... uh.... I'm sure you can at least do a variant version, can't you LEGO? :angry:

It is though...he has boot printing and also a new torso

Not to mention some of us would rather have it match the 2010 ones, anyway.

I'm considering using this one with the ones I already have, as long as the torsos don't look too different (I'll have to wait until I see them together before I decide), but if I do, I'll want to at least make the legs match. That means I'll have to get either replacement short legs in plain blue to replace the ones that come with these, or get extras of these legs for all the ones I already have (which would be awesome, but probably difficult and/or expensive).

I will say I'm disappointed they don't have a higher number of female characters. I would have thought that if any Minifigures series was likely to have more than six or so, it would be the Disney series, but no, still only six ladies out of eighteen.

Hopefully Series 2 will have more (just as The Simpsons Series 2 had twice as many as Series 1).

I would say there is still sixteen since I can ignore Alien and Buzz firstly. :tongue:

I think Peter Pan, Stitch and Incredibles are the main issues cause they are all able to introduce female candidates but they don't. Despite I'm glad to see two villainess' this time, I really hope to see more non-princess heroines to shine. Hope next time we have Lilo, Tinkerbell/Wendy and Miss Incredible in series 2. :classic:

As for Simpsons series 2, though it reintroduced the whole Simpsons members with new variations, I don't think Disney series 2 would do the same. We might see a Fantasia Mickey but the rest of seats should better be for the Mickey&Friends cast who don't appear this time.

Edited by Dorayaki

Maleficent, Ursula, Mickey, Mr. Incredible, Syndrome, and Aladdin look great! :wub: The rest are 'meh' :sceptic: The re-release of Buzz and the Alien is disappointing.

I'll need multiples of Mr. Incredible to make the whole family. The next series needs an Edna Mode figure!

Do we know anything about how the distribution will be? I predict that a lot of pack feeling is going to happen, even more so than compared with other series. Mickey will be a prime target. Hopefully we can locate one before a reseller goes into the store to get all of them. We have a relative who collects all things Mickey, and I would like to get one for him.

Whoever said Pan looks like Shaggy, I thought the same thing!

They look how I expected them to look. They will probably sell well, but I think you will know which are the favorites and which ones are not after the packs have been picked through.

Perhaps my impression isn't entirely accurate and HD full-body shots will improve my opinion, but this is just a "good" series to me. I'll gladly take two new sorceresses, and I hope for Snow White's in the next series.

They pulled a mean trick by giving Aladdin and Genie the same accessory, so bag-feelers will need to be more thorough.

They pulled a mean trick by giving Aladdin and Genie the same accessory, so bag-feelers will need to be more thorough.

Genie's tail will be easy to find.

I'm sensing general negativity, but look at it for what it is! I think it will be a fun series to collect and display!

Everyone seems to be jumping to series 2, but do we have actual confirmation that there will be a series 2?

I think it's a given. We're also getting a Ninjago Movie series next year too, I think.

If nothing else it will make a nice Ninja display. Ninjago seems like a good current Ninja resource for those who need them though I prefer the classic Lego Ninja Theme that was a subtheme of Castle.

Genie's tail will be easy to find.

I'm sensing general negativity, but look at it for what it is! I think it will be a fun series to collect and display!

Everyone seems to be jumping to series 2, but do we have actual confirmation that there will be a series 2?

There must be at least one more series in the works; they've barely scratched the surface with this series and a few counterparts are missing.

I just found new appreciation for the Cat minifigure: This way, you can have only his head in the scene!

I think negativity is to be expected. In the end it's going to be difficult to make everybody happy with the limited selection of characters and the changes that are made to the character design to fit it into the Lego world.

Disney is pretty heavily nostalgia based, that alone makes it more susceptible to criticism.

I, I, I don't know what to say. Lego disappointed me for the first time. Genie looks terrible, and Mickey and friends would give me nightmares. When you guys showed this fake Lego version of these characters I was sure the real thing wouldn't look anything like it, but buy how was I wrong. If I didn't know better I would say they used the same molds just with better printing. They didn't even do a good job on that with Mickey. His body isn't even printed, it's just his short. And they used long legs, I still think small legs would have been way better. The toy story characters are the most disappointing in my opinion. Buzz doesn't look as good as the old one, and why did we ever get the alien. I always said we won't get secondary charterers before the main ones, I was so wrong. I would say most of these figures are rather based on the ones from Disney parks. And they didn't even did a good job on that. I only like Peter Pan, Hook, Alladin, Ursula and the incredibles characters. Oh and the character I like most of this list is stitch. He looks so adorable. At least 1 of the characters from my wish list looks good. I don't even think these series will last very long if the next wave will look like this either. I say maybe 1 or 2 more waves. And they better include Goofy. I'm sorry for this negative and maybe kinda whiny comment, but I waited so long for a Disney series, when the rumour broke out I had such high hopes, I waited for so long to see leaked molds and when I saw them they gave me such high expectations, but then, after waiting for so long I could finally see the actual thing, and it's bad. Sorry again but I had to say it >_<.

To me, the biggest controversy is with the use of a regular head for Buzz. It is consistent if they want to use a regular head for all human characters, but it goes against how Buzz is presented as a real character at the theme parks. If they have Woody in a future series, then to be consistent, he would use a human head as well, but I'm not sure how good that will look. If Woody uses his previous molded head, then Buzz would then look like a mistake.

character-meet-buzz-woody-pixar-place-00.jpg?30012014080631

Yes, just predictions so far. The theory goes like:

1) Disney franchises show to be more promosing than Simpsons series which has two CMF series.

2) Not yet completed the major Mickey&Friends cast and LEGO should know that.

I think negativity is to be expected. In the end it's going to be difficult to make everybody happy with the limited selection of characters and the changes that are made to the character design to fit it into the Lego world.

Well, when they include Toy Story they knew negativity is inevitable..... Edited by Dorayaki

As for Simpsons series 2, though it reintroduced the whole Simpsons members with new variations, I don't think Disney series 2 would do the same. We might see a Fantasia Mickey but the rest of seats should better be for the Mickey&Friends cast who don't appear this time.

Probably; I definitely wouldn't expect to see as many of the same characters shared between series as The Simpsons had. But I would expect to see one version or another of Mickey in every series.

Are those costumes? Those are terrifying.

Yes.

bodylogic_disney.jpg

From a parts perspective, I would prefer they use minifigure heads, which would result in more minifigure-compatible accessories like hair and hats. But LEGO has to be careful to not make it look like it's someone in a costume. So they wouldn't do go the Chima route with a holded head over a regular head.

I just had a disturbing thought: someone puts a minifigure head on the Mickey body, has the figure hold the original minifigure head, and then put photos of that on disney websites. Maybe have a MOC showing a bunch of Disney costumed characters having some off-time in the backlot of the theme park.

A lot of them look very strange. I much prefer the original Buzz personally, and not sure why they put the alien in this.

Mickey, Minnie, Donald and Daisy all look like they would give me nightmares sat on my shelf...

Ariel looks nice though, and being an Alice in Wonderland fan, I'll be picking her up and Cheshire!

Will have to wait for better photos to judge accordingly though!

I'm accustomed to the looks of molded heads from either Toy Story sets or Simpsons. The dissapointing part to me is that we cannot ultilize hats/hairpieces/headgears since they're inseperable, although making them seperate could largely increase the cost of whole Simpsons CMF lineup.

I think the headgear for Genie looks unnatural, though I rather bet that this headgear is prepared for another licensed character.

Edited by Dorayaki

I think the headgear for Genie looks unnatural, though I rather bet that this headgear is prepared for another licensed character.

I don't think so. It's clearly Genie's hair and ears, and I don't think the piece could be designed with anyone else in mind.

I think the issue with minifigs having heavily moulded heads is the fact that it renders the figure almost entirely un-customisable. If the heads are so specifically geared toward one character, then it is impossible to take off that head and use it for making your own custom minifigs. At least some moulded heads (eg. those in Star Wars sets) can represent an entire species and can therefore be re-used to illustrate different characters - but headpieces like those included in this line are TOO specific.

It will be tremendously difficult to use any of these new pieces in any way other than building the figure as-per-instructions and popping it on display. Personally I would much rather have slightly less-accurate faces on these, just so the pieces are re-usable and therefore much more desirable. This is why I have never been a fan of highly specific stylised figures like the Simpsons minifigures, because they just can't be used as part of other characters.

The series looks great for collectors. For people like me, who mostly wish to get parts to make my own figures, this is pretty disappointing. :sceptic::thumbdown:

I do really like Aladdin, Genie and Peter Pan, though. Stitch is about the only moulded figure I wouldn't mind having, but that's only down to having a soft spot for that little guy. :grin:

Edited by AnnaBuildsLego

Sorry to sound like an old grizzly guts but this to me is an utter waste of shelf space and another frustrating replacement for what could and should have been a regular series, which always has something for everyone. My fears are that these only represent a very tiny portion of the whole Disney cast list and so we could expect to see waves upon waves of this for years to come...

*slinks away to sob quietly at all the potential regular CMFs which have and will be delayed as a result*