just2good

Disney Collectible Minifigures Series 1 Discussion

:distressed: hmmmm. So from that one picture, the series is definitely what I was expecting. I need HD pictures to really analyze them individually. Some of them look more like they just have costumes on. I read something about maybe they were limited in what they could produce aesthetically because of a budget, but if thats the case they should stuck to only 16 minifigures instead of 18 and use the resources to really make 2 others better. If that makes any sense.

Right now though. The only one that really catches my eye and that i love is Ursula. The new tentacles with a belly piece is just wonderful. The rest I'm still like :distressed:

My reaction was a mix of pro and con.

If Goofy is in the D2C, then I would think it could be the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Goofy is the only principle character that would be a fig from the show not in the Disney CMF series. Pluto would plausibly come with this as well. Mickey, Minnie, Donald, and Daisy all look like how they appear on the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse show.

Oh boy.... this doesn't look good.... Especially the Genie and Hook

Could this be the worst series to date?

Edited by Velut Umbra

Couple of observations I hadn't made before:

-Aladdin appears to have skin-tone feet on his legs. Hopefully printed all the way around unlike Mickey and Minnie's.

-Alice's hair is actually the thing making her look weird, I think. Same with Mr. Incredible (not being able to see their face prints properly, too.)

-Ursula definitely has a new squid-legs mold. Looks like it has a fat body for her, too. Perfect ^_^

Also, I for one will probably try Genie without the weird ear piece--use the Ninjago Jiin's ponytail and a "One Ring" piece possibly. Just throwing out the idea.

Edited by JaseTJ

It might look better in physical form anyways--I'm expecting most of them will--but I'm generally not a fan of pieces that try to add on to a normal 'fig head like that.

I'm right there next to you :sadnew:

I'm actually glad. It means I can save money by not buying any of this series and have more for the next. Can't wait to build my Penguin Guy army

Couple of observations I hadn't made before:

-Aladdin appears to have skin-tone feet on his legs. Hopefully printed all the way around unlike Mickey and Minnie's.

-Alice's hair is actually the thing making her look weird, I think. Same with Mr. Incredible (not being able to see their face prints properly, too.)

-Ursula definitely has a new squid-legs mold. Looks like it has a fat body for her, too. Perfect ^_^

Also, I for one will probably try Genie without the weird ear piece--use the Ninjago Jiin's ponytail and a "One Ring" piece possibly. Just throwing out the idea.

I think Alice's hair plays a part of her looking weird, but its the regular minifig head for me too that makes her weird too. Ursula to me just looks great :grin:

Edited by BrickFit26

What the heck!? What is everyone saying last night when they were revealed everyone loved them and now people are hating on them saying it's the worst series ever............

I am pleasantly surprised. I didn't expect much from this series to begin with. I was afraid the character selection would be terrible and that there would be a bunch of ugly molded heads. I'm happy to see that I was wrong on both counts.

My favorite is Maleficent. I love the fact that Buzz, Genie, Hook, etc. got regular heads. I also like the Cheshire Cat and Stitch. They came out how I would have expected. Aladdin looks great, but I agree that giving him the lamp instead of Abu or a bread loaf was a poor decision. Hook looks to have a useful pirate captain torso. And Peter Pan looks great (not the best for a Link hat, still waiting for that). Ariel is nice, but I thought we were getting 2 princesses. On that note, I would have liked Jafar.

All in all, they look good. I like that Mackey and friends have normal legs, too. The short ones would have looked awful.

I'm pretty pleased overall. I'm very happy that the human and humanlike characters have regular minifig heads. I was about 80% convinced that they would all have molded heads, because Disney so fiercely promotes their own trademarked character designs. They seem like proper minifigs this way. I'm a huge fan of Disney, but I'm the first to admit that they throw their weight around too hard sometimes. What we have here are really "Disney characters as minifigs," not "Disney manipulating LEGO into manufacturing jointed figures of Disney characters."

I'm actually really happy to see the Cheshire Cat. A lot of people are complaining that a) he looks weird as a minifig, and b) they have no interest in this specific character. To me, the fact that the Cheshire Cat doesn't have a lot of mainstream popularity is a reason to include him. There's a lot more to the giant extended family of Disney characters than just whomever currently has the most shelf space in the Disney Store.

He does look weird, though.

As a side note, a lot of people are wishing small "sidekick" characters had been included as accessories, and while I sympathize, I wonder if they reason they didn't do that is that then those minifigs would actually be two characters in one and it would complicate the licensing. Putting Santa's Little Helper or Snowball II in with a Simpson is one thing--those are inarticulate pets, not people. But Tinker Bell, Pluto, etc. are headlining characters in their own right and I can understand Disney being reluctant to permit extra characters to be included under the guise of "accessories."

Edited by Karalora

What the heck!? What is everyone saying last night when they were revealed everyone loved them and now people are hating on them saying it's the worst series ever............

Everyone?

I don't know about that.... since they were revealed las night, these have been getting mixed reactions on social media

Of course, I expect that to change to positive when the official pics are out

Edited by Robert8

I actualy really like this series. Anyway, here is my opinions:

Malefecent- Man, this figure looks good. Defidently need to pick it up.

Alice- Looks good. Not a big fan of Alice in Wonderland, so a pass.

Chesire Cat- Same as Alice.

Syndrome- Incredibles is my favorite pixar movie, so defidently going to pick him up.

Mr. Incredible- Another definite pick up. Must resist urge to buy four to make the full family...

Buzz- Figure looks great overall. I think the minifigure head is interesting. Am I the only one who likes it?

Alien- Nice to see him. I missed out on Toy Story, so I will pick him up with Buzz.

Donald, Daisy, Minnie, and Mickey- They all look like good repesentations of the charecters. A few minor problems, of course, but still very nice. Another pick up.

Hook- Looks good so far. Need to see beter picks to Know for sure. I love peyer pan, so I will get him as well as

Peter Pan- Looks great. the leg printing looks wonderful.

Aladdin- Aladdin is one of my favorite disney movies, so I'll be surely getting him. That fez piece is great, but the reuse of the lamp is lazy.

Genie- Looks a bit off. Still going to get him.

Stich- Never seen the show(movie?) so, a pass. The head mold looks great though.

Ariel- Nice, but, I have never seen the Little Mermaid, so no.

Ursela- Same as Ariel. Love the leg tentacle mould though.

I'm very pleased with this series. My wallet, however, is not.

Am I the only one out there that actually really likes this series and wants to get them all

You're not alone. I can't wait to get this series! :excited:

:distressed: hmmmm. So from that one picture, the series is definitely what I was expecting. I need HD pictures to really analyze them individually. Some of them look more like they just have costumes on. I read something about maybe they were limited in what they could produce aesthetically because of a budget, but if thats the case they should stuck to only 16 minifigures instead of 18 and use the resources to really make 2 others better. If that makes any sense.

Right now though. The only one that really catches my eye and that i love is Ursula. The new tentacles with a belly piece is just wonderful. The rest I'm still like :distressed:

They wouldn't have needed to invest resources towards Buzz and the Pizza Planet Alien since those molds already existed (alien head, Buzz Helmet, Buzz jet Pack and Wings). They only thing they needed for those characters were new prints which wouldn't cost much. In fact I guessing the only reason we got 18 figures is because they could make those teo for so little.

Am I the only one out there that actually really likes this series and wants to get them all

Not at all; I hope to get them all myself. The only reason I might not is that my funds for LEGO in general have diminished lately, but I hope to change that.

They wouldn't have needed to invest resources towards Buzz and the Pizza Planet Alien since those molds already existed (alien head, Buzz Helmet, Buzz jet Pack and Wings). They only thing they needed for those characters were new prints which wouldn't cost much. In fact I guessing the only reason we got 18 figures is because they could make those teo for so little.

That makes sense.

On another note. Along with Ursula I also really like Maleficent, those horns :drool:

Yeah, I like the Buzz head too. The molded head worked fine but I'm a tad too purist to like it as much as the Lego head.

I'm guessing opinions will change once we see high quality images of each minifigure in their entirety and then probably again when we get the full review for them and then maybe once more whenever these physically show up. Opinions tend to evolve over time. These minifigures in particular might take some time getting used to. This is actually one of my favorite CMF's so far, but I can understand the mixed emotions around here. There's little expectation other than it'll drop new and odd minifigures as well as useful accessories into the Lego world. Designers are given more freedom and thus any series of minifigures could draw inspiration from an unlimited amount of sources.

Licensed CMF's unfortunately don't have the same freedom, they have to design within certain parameters, utilizing certain characters. In the case of Disney it has to be doubly hard to design a lineup of already established characters, some so iconic that a person could identify them by their nose or chin shape. Even harder is the fact that these characters range greatly in style. We have Mickey and pals who's aesthetic originates nearly at the beginning of animation itself. We have Alice and Peter who fall into the stylized Mary Blair look. There's Ariel and Aladdin created during the Renaissance. Then jumping into the 3D world we have the Pixar characters. Ultimately fitting all those style into a consistent range of products will mean that they don't look quite like what we're used to, some details will be altered or removed. Likely this is jarring or just plainly off-putting to the fans of these characters.

I think in time people will get used to the look. They are pretty different from what we're used to seeing. Just as Disney products alone they're rather different.

Edited by strangely

Alice, Cheshire, and Stitch for me. Donald and Daisy for the missus.

Hopefully in the second wave we will have Sullivan, Wazowski, Mad Hatter, Wall-E.

I called one thing: All of the Park/Cruise/On Ice/On Tour characters that ALWAYS have big heads are molded heads here, all of the characters that even occasionally are 'face' characters (makeup only, no helmet-head) are standard minifig heads.