Sign in to follow this  
Fuzzy MacFuzz

(COR - Ch2B) Dastardly attack on Port Raleigh!

[NB: This attack happened before the arrival of the marine reinforcements in Port Raleigh and the building of Fort Redoubtable. Ska and Captain Wolfs' characters are used with their permission. Once again I am happy with the story and the build/s, but less so with the 'action' photography.]

26106260506_d9bb4aa517_c.jpg20160330_085822 (2) by Chris Warburton Brown, on Flickr

Kings Port Advertiser and Ship List

Wednesday 30th March, 616 AE

Dastardly Attack on Port Raleigh!

• Great perspicacity of Lady Norrington
  • Ingenuity of young Mr Ravenscroft
  • Miss Ravenscroft demonstates swift feet
  • Heroism of Mr Kenner and Lt. Tanner
  • Rescue of Lady Norrington by Mr Hawksbrugh
  • Tragic death of old Mr Ravenscroft
  • Immediate response by Viscount Oxley

We have received reliable intelligence of a piratical attack on Port Raleigh on 3rd March last. A dozen pirates, apparently of Occidental origin, attacked at dawn. Due to the shortage of housing and the clement spring weather, a number of workmen from the new quarry and glassworks were sleeping on the beach, and bore the brunt of the attack. By the greatest providence Lady Norrington was taking an early morning constitutional on the beach and espied the approaching pirate boats, then rushed to rouse the sleepers.

25527427564_e17bb05cf8_c.jpg20160328_112219 (2) by Chris Warburton Brown, on Flickr

The inestimable Mr Hawksbrugh rallied his workers, who had but moments to arm themselves with whatever makeshift weapons were to hand. Dear readers, who would have thought that such a gracious specimen of female virtue as Lady Norrington would carry a loaded pistol in her undergarments! Miss Lily Ravenscroft was despatched to fetch help from the marines at the Government House. Meanwhile that most ingenious young man Mr Ravenscroft loaded a ship's cannon with powder from the stone quarry and a bag of carpenter's nails.

25859341560_34257760a9_c.jpg20160330_085848 (2) by Chris Warburton Brown, on Flickr

Despite the efficacy of this weapon, the merciless pirates pressed home their vicious attack. Several were slain on both sides.

25859331320_6b60d3a74c_c.jpg20160330_091735 (2) by Chris Warburton Brown, on Flickr

Just as it seemed the brave defenders would be overwhelmed, the marines arrived. Led by heroic Lieutenant Tanner and Mr Kenner (still wearing his bed cap), a single volley and a brave charge by the marines cleared the beach of the pirates, who fled back to their boats.

26132161645_90a72613e4_c.jpg20160330_095926 (4) by Chris Warburton Brown, on Flickr

It seemed the battle was over, but Mr Hawsbrugh spotted two of the villainous pirates carrying off Lady Norrington, no doubt intent on sullying her honour. Without hesitation, he charged down the beach and fearlessly cut down both these villains with his sword.

26106265186_0ccd1934b9_c.jpg20160330_100454 (2) by Chris Warburton Brown, on Flickr

The triumphant defenders of Port Raleigh celebrated their victory with three rousing huzzahs, then retired to toast the Queens's honour at The Flask and Flagon. All agreed that they had escaped only by the greatest good fortune, and thanks to the eagle eyes of a lady, the ingenuity of a young man, and the swift feet of a girl. Sadly three of the defenders had been slain, including Mr Ravenscroft the elder; his obituary follows.

Corrington's response has been swift, with half a battalion of marines already despatched to reinforce the garrison, and plans for a fort, named Fort Redoubtable in honour of the defenders. In a public letter, Viscount Oxley has restated the Crown's determination to protect its fledgling colonies and vowed to launch an expedition to destroy the base of these wicked Occidental pirates.

Obituary of Mr George Ravenscroft the Elder, fl. c.563 - 3rd March 616

With great sadness we report the death of Mr George Ravenscroft, slain while defending his family, his friends and his livelihood. Mr Ravenscroft served as a boatswain in the Corringtonian navy, before losing his left arm in the Forty Nine Year's War. He then took up window glass making, and for many years ran a successful business in Belhaven, where he married Mary Mullins and raised four children. Mr Hawksbrugh invited him to sail with him to Port Raleigh. Mr Ravenscroft, recently widowed, declared himself ready for a new adventure, but sadly it was to prove his last. He leaves two sons and two daughters, who have pledged to continue his glass company at Port Raleigh in his honour.

25897188031_294d6f615c_c.jpg20160322_132704 (2) by Chris Warburton Brown, on Flickr

Edited by Fuzzy MacFuzz

A fine tale of adventure and heroism! You've done a great job with the story, and I think the action photos are very good. The campfire for the sleeping men, the blast of the cannon, the charge of the half-clothed marines, abduction of Lady Norrington, all well done! And my condolences to the Ravenscroft family; I trust the family will name the glassworks in his honor.

At the Flask and Flagon, our heroes celebrate with a victory toast and a moment's silence for our fallen. All drinks on the house!

VictoryToast.jpg

Edited by CelesAurivern

For some reason, that first picture makes me think of a recreational beach, with a lifeguards tower etc. pirate_laugh2.gif

Very nice story and some rather nice action shots, if you ask me. Well done! I am happy and relieved to find that the lady's honour went unsullied! pirate_wink.gif

Great action scenes, but the really amazing thing is the way you have presented the story - it was brilliant!

Another fine detail that really stands this build out is the half-dressed state of the soldiers charging to repel the pirates!

Overall a great entry, well done!

Thanks for the kind comments guys, they are much appreciated. Maybe I need to have more confidence in my action photos! But when I look at some of the fantastic photos posted on here I realise how much i have to learn!

Bregir, where do you go on your holidays? Pirates, murder, attempted rape all on a recreational beach...I suggest you try a new destination this year!

An especially big thank you is due to to Celes for the wonderful celebration scene at the Flask and Flagon. Once the drinks have finished being on the house, i would like to treat him to a large beer, although I suspect a minifig size flagon will not go far to cure his thirst!

Excellent story and nice action photo sequence. Your minifig posing looks great and the whole affair seems entirely believable (which oft can't be said for amateur fiction...) I especially like the 5th pic of the Corries storming the pirates - it's one of the best such shots I've seen in a while. Good work and keep it up. :classic:

...Bregir, where do you go on your holidays? Pirates, murder, attempted rape all on a recreational beach...I suggest you try a new destination this year!

Why no, good sir - I prefer some action when I go travelling! pirate_laugh_new.gif