Sign in to follow this  
Phadeout

[ESL FB3] Path of the Single Cut

Alejandro has been visiting Bardo, to enjoy the musician's fair and to do some business with his new partners in the MCTC, upon his return he takes a tour around an area of Nova Terelli he has previously not seen, known to the residents as a higher class sort of area Alejandro is keen to look for property there. Nacho and he notice an interesting building and go over to take a closer look.

25527248234_290b825915_z.jpgPath of the Single Cut Dojo (i) by Phadeout, on Flickr

26039520532_c811ec5a9d_z.jpgPath of the Single Cut Dojo (ii) by Phadeout, on Flickr

25859170200_f9d00387e4_z.jpgPath of the Single Cut Dojo (iii) by Phadeout, on Flickr

The man who greets them introduces himself as Hideo Cortez, and it is clear that part of his family ancestry is from the far west of which Alejandro knows next to nothing about.

The two men are welcomed inside, to their amazement the beautiful entrance way opens into a a sort of training area with swords lining the walls and an unusual helmet on a stand. Hideo explains that he teaches Kendo, a form of sword fighting passed down to him from his father, and offers to give the two men a lesson. Slightly to Alejandro's disappointment they are only given wooden swords but as Hideo instructs them they see the benefit especially once they are fully equipped and practicing against each other.

26132004895_1c7dcc6f7a_z.jpgPath of the Single Cut Dojo (iv) by Phadeout, on Flickr

26039520972_3ce0cfea3d_z.jpgPath of the Single Cut Dojo (v) by Phadeout, on Flickr

25859170590_e34abb6c51_z.jpgPath of the Single Cut Dojo (vi) by Phadeout, on Flickr

Later, after the session, they spend some time on the roof garden enjoying a drink with Hideo and promising to return to continue their studies in the very near future.

25859170440_9dd636bcab_z.jpgPath of the Single Cut Dojo (vii) by Phadeout, on Flickr

I hope people like this, it isn't very "pirate" I just wanted to do something a little different - if it offends anyone's sensibilities just pretend it doesn't exist :) although I will probably use this as a base for expansion to a full martial arts school at some point in the future...

It's my third free build of the month so non-Eslandolans I would really appreciate your approvals.

Sure, it's different from usual Pirates material - but it shows good effort and looks great. That roof technique and the little courtyards are lovely and I like all the different vegetation. The tan arches look nice too. My only criticism is that the front and back portions don't come together very smoothly but other than that this is a fine build. Good work. :classic:

Approved by Leadership :thumbup:

Interesting twist on the pirate era, but this certainly is an excellent build to go with it! pirate_wink.gif That entry room in particular is really beautiful, the water, flowers, and stands all look just about perfect! wub_drool.gif The garden roof section looks a bit odd, but overall it is a very nice build! I'm wondering how this kind of building would look next to a more typical pirate age one - I might have to try that out sometime! default_blink.gif

Approved from leadership :thumbup:

Great build here phadeout, the interior especially looks good and I really like that room with the water! :thumbup:

I like this build a lot. Great arch and entryway, and the full interior with tiled floor is very nice. That roof is very interesting; is there a real world example it is patterned after? And I think the build fits in rather well with Eslandolan architecture; if the roof were red instead of white (and I'm not saying it should be), I don't think many would think it stands out as different. Well done! I would approve if I could.

I have just used Occidental pirates in my challenge 2 build, and Capt Lei Feng (I think that's his name) is out there somewhere threatening lawful shipping, so why not? And its good to see something a bit different in these parts! I love the roof of your dojo. I also love that it lifts off so the minifigs can get inside! The inside is really nicely done, with plenty of space for swinging swords but also a good range of relevant equipment round the walls.

One approval from Corrington thumbup.gif

:thumbup: from the Sea Rats. Swordfighting schools, with their own traditions and techniques, were hardly exclusive to the east so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Tempted to try MoCing up one of my own after seeing this. (Mental note order more rapiers).

Great build. The entrance way with the water, statues and flowers is simply beautiful. Indeed the whole build has a very pleasant feel with the colours blending together very well. I too have considered a fencing school, but the eastern take on this one makes it quite unique - I don't think there should be any issues with this fitting in, later in the period oriental customs where quite fashionable (tea, porcelain etc)

+1 :thumbup: from Corrington

I really like your build, and the fact that you included interiors

Eslandola approves :thumbup: