Kolonialbeamter

[OL - FB2] The 'Commerce de Breshaun'

Ahoy again,

second FB incoming:

The 'Commerce de Breshaun'

The 'Commerce de Breshaun' is the first capital ship built in Breshaun's 'Royal Shipyards'. She was ordered and paid for by the Breshaun Chamber of Commerce, and donated to the 'Office Royal de la Marine' as a sign of gratitude for continued Royal support and investment. Constructed with a sleek hull, and rigged as a barque, she is a fast and agile sailer, able to keep up with the top speed ships of the Oleander merchant fleet.

May her voyages be blessed by Poseidon so she will bring fortune to the Empire!

26037747232_fc75f17b00_c.jpg

26130246505_ff4109b421_c.jpg

26063918941_34aa8fcc95_c.jpg

26104329126_7568864fdd_c.jpg

Next, with a reduced number of sails, for you to see some deck details:

26130250525_d4a995fec8_c.jpg

And last, but not least - and almost already a tradition - IFS shaming:

26038372392_831ae7396e_c.jpg

about:

As always, all parts exist. This time a bit more emphasis on sails and rigging, although the hull also comes with some unique features. Her hull is exactly 100 studs long at the water line, making her slightly larger than 'La Recouvrance', and her beam is 23 studs wide. Credits for the 'Fleur de Lys' design go to Gideon! As you said, works out well on a ship :pir-wink::thumbup:

I hope you enjoy her looks,

C&C welcome!

Vive le Roi!

Beautiful, beautiful. :pir-wub:

This is my favorite of your BoBS ships so far. The hull shaping is nice and I really like those colors. The emphasis on rigging made a huge difference - she's instantly more impressive just from that one thing alone. So you built the first barque, and you're the first to use studdin' sails/stunsails. The stern decor is nice too. Overall she's a magnificent vessel. Good work and keep it up.

Edited by Captain Dee

Another excellent ship, KB! pirate_wubnew.gif Great job overall, but especially with the sails and hull, and awesome use of Gideon's technique there on the stern! pirate_classic.gif

Yet another great ship from you... the curves on the hull and on the sails are very well done! :thumbup:

Beautiful ship! I really like that you've used studdinsails; I've been contemplating that for awhile for some of my ship builds and there are some rigging ideas that I may steal. The lines of the ship, as always in your work, are very nice indeed. I like the use of the yellow fence piece. And who knew that croissants were good for making a fleur de lis? Love it!

Another stunning job :wub:. Apart from the studding sails (which I've always disliked, not a reflection on your design), I love every part of it. The great cabin in particular is really well done with some lovely details around the windows and the fleur is a great Oleandish addition to the ship.

Does she have a tumblehome? I can't quite tell from the pictures.

Excellent ship overall, and of course I especially like the stern! :classic:

The rigging is probably the best I've seen from you yet as well! Maybe the old "GoH's Law" that all builders will improve regardless of initial skill level holds true for BoBS as well? :wink:

Edited by Gideon

Oooh it's so pretty!

The overal shape and sails look great but the bow and stern are just stunning

The first barque, if I am not mistaken! Very well done!

The hull:

Very pretty lines, lovely beakhead and great cabin - I particularly like the windows on the side, although I cannot quite make out how you did them. The open hatch and the brickbuilt boat within are great too, and I would like to see a detail shot of both boat and guns. (And of course, the fleur de lis is wonderfull)

Rigging:

The rigging is wonderful, and I think you are the first to show staysails and studdingsails - very nice! However, I think your lower staysails are a bit too near square, where they would, typically be almost triangular, and I cannot imagine what kind of wind would induce the skipper to set all stun'sails at the same time, when the wind is obviously right abaft - surely, they would put each other in lee?... :pir-wink:

Generally, though, brilliant barque, and a very fine example of a class 5. I woudl have put her down as a trade ship, rather than a fast, but I don't mind your choice.

Well done!

Thanks to all of you, glad you like her :pir-blush:

And who knew that croissants were good for making a fleur de lis?

Both is sort of french after all, so they go hand in hand :pir-grin:

Does she have a tumblehome? I can't quite tell from the pictures.

Yo, she has a tumblehome, very little though, 2 to 3°.

Maybe the old "GoH's Law" that all builders will improve regardless of initial skill level holds true for BoBS as well? default_blink.gif

Pretty sure that goes here as well! Heck, so far basically the only type of ships I've been building were first rates ( :devil_laugh:)... never thought I'd lay hand on a schooner design (didn't even know what that was), or whatnot.

I particularly like the windows on the side, although I cannot quite make out how you did them. The open hatch and the brickbuilt boat within are great too, and I would like to see a detail shot of both boat and guns. (And of course, the fleur de lis is wonderfull)

Rigging:

The rigging is wonderful, and I think you are the first to show staysails and studdingsails - very nice! However, I think your lower staysails are a bit too near square, where they would, typically be almost triangular, and I cannot imagine what kind of wind would induce the skipper to set all stun'sails at the same time, when the wind is obviously right abaft - surely, they would put each other in lee?... pirate_wink.gif

Generally, though, brilliant barque, and a very fine example of a class 5. I woudl have put her down as a trade ship, rather than a fast, but I don't mind your choice.

Well done!

The window ornamentation consists basically of the same elements as the fleur de lys' 'frame', so 3742 and those dragon wing thingies, attached to a 11833, which is attached to the hull via headlight bricks. Sorry, can't provide additional renders atm, system is busy. But the guns are pretty basic, and the boat is the same basic design as that of my small shipyard boat, just larger and more refined.

Haha, I wouldn't feel well without you 'criticising' my sails :roflmao: The shape of the staysails doesn't have to be triangular, I (well, google) found a lot of examples of them being almost rectangular, at least the lower ones. Of course you're right, no sane captain would fly all these sails at once, but I just add sails for show purposes only... and the ship is a 'F', so it not only is fast (a barque rig was quite capable for both running and close-hauling), but also has to look fast :wink:

Such a lovely ship! The decorations and trim are wonderful. My only quibble, is that wouldn't the boat normally be stored on beams run across the opening, to free hull space for cargo and ease launching the boat?

Thanks, guys :pir-classic:

My only quibble, is that wouldn't the boat normally be stored on beams run across the opening, to free hull space for cargo and ease launching the boat?

I've done that too many times already (not for BoBS, though), and got bored. I figured those beams could be an obstacle if cargo was to load? Also all cargo is stored in the belly to keep a low center of gravity - important when sailing straight through a hurricane. And not to forget: if the boat is less easily accessable, the crew's gonna be more motivated to not abandon ship easily :pir-grin:

I wonder how the sails stay together and are they actually attached to the yards?

Sails - and rigging - are only placeholders in my MOCs, since in the brick they'd be made of, well, not Lego. So no, they are not meant to be build in bricks, hence not interconnected. Also, the yards are not connected to the masts (that goes for square rigged sails' yards), since in reality there'd be rigging for that purpose.

To cope with the loss of all my ships in the MCRA I had to come up with something ridiculous again, so... here goes :pir-grin:

Survived, With Amazing Gains

Having returned home with literally all the riches of New Terra, the crew of the 'Commerce' immediately knew how to spend their winnings wisely: The hull had to get a metall planking for better protection and endurance.

So they made the logic choice. Gold!!

25614359044_fc6f91a171_c.jpg

And you know what goes along with a new paint job? Exactly! A new attitude!! However, not just because they go together well, but also, because new attitudes were on sale that week.

26126830642_2233cdf43f_c.jpg

Deal with it!! :pir-grin: