TaltosVT

New LEGO Train Magazine - A Proposal

I'd love to see a Lego train magazine in some form but it will be hard to get and keep going. I've highlighted before the problems with the Lego train community in the context of trains on Ideas; we're a niche within a niche. LEGO trains are a tiny group within 'general' model railroading and train builders are a tiny group within AFOLs. Train sets represent about 0.5% of the number of sets released every year...

To make matters worse that small group of LEGO train builders is spread around the globe with the majority on both sides of the Atlantic, where we have fairly different tastes. This too has been highlighted in relation to Ideas; most European train builders care little for American freight diesels and many European passanger trains mean little to American train fans. It also makes a printed edition infeasible except for local print on demand because the cost of postage would be prohibitive. Two of the reasons I no longer get Brickjournal are cost and focus on the US.

While I agree that the costs and logistics of printed issues could be prohibitive to international marketing, I don't feel that content of a LEGO train magazine can't have universal appeal. While many of us have concentrated our modeling efforts to one particular region, and or time period, I think most of us enjoy seeing what others are doing outside of our own chosen building preferences.

If the new magazine is to have any chance I think we need to broaden the focus. As has been mentioned above, other model railway magazines don't limit themselves to rolling stock and track. By including buildings, structures and landscaping it should attract a wider audience. That in turn is crucial if you want to convince advertisers.

You bring up a very good point. There are many builders out there who are excellent scenery, structure, and city modelers, but who may only be casual train fans, or not have any direct interest in trains at all. Within my own club we have members who participate with our train layouts who do not build trains at all. They build lovely models for the city and town portions of our layouts though and without which I feel our layouts would not be a fun and as lovely as they are. Covering content such as this would certainly broaden the magazine's reader base and be of benefit to all.

A completely different approach would be to team up with Bricks or Blocks and have a Trains section in one of those magazines. Yes, you would be paying more than you would for just a Lego train magazine but you would also get a lot more content. I doubt there are many Lego train builders who have no interest in any Lego subjects outside of trains.

For the magazine it would mean dedicated and knowledgeable train writers/editors, for the train community it would mean much wider exposure.

I haven't looked into the commercial aspects of this option but I think it's one we should consider.

An interesting option, though I feel something like this would not provide content as in-depth as a detected LEGO train magazine could. I feel it would be more of a superficial, model showcase. Not the sort of place you would see a multi part how to on track modification, or layout design. Though in the interests of gaining more exposer for the LEGO train hobby I wouldn't count out this sort of idea. Any time we can get put our hobby in front of new people we have the opportunity to grow our ranks.

Cale

Edited by Cale

The community needs a train magazine. Railbricks' ending left a void in my life that hasn't be fulfilled. So without a doubt I would subscribe to a new LEGO Railroader Magazine; I'd pay a premium price for a digital/print edition although it seems the world is heading towards a digital only - I still love having issues on my bookshelf. Do not include this with BLOCKS or others that are already on the market. I feel there is plenty of interest from the community to sustain its own mag.

I wouldn't be interested in advertising but I know two local bricklink stores in my city who would if the price was affordable but I would help with whatever I could in terms of writing, pictures, etc.

I think a LEGO Railroad magazine is more appealing to AFOL's than what was described. Granted LEGO doesn't put out many decent train sets but my LUG has turned down 3 events so far in 2016 when we were asked if we had a railroad layout to display. We could have laid down track in a circle but we would have embarrassed ourselves so we are positioning ourselves to develop a true layout - ala PennLUG or NILTC. A magazine would be an outstanding resource for trains fans across the globe and new ones as I refer back to old Railbricks mags to get inspiration or to figure out a better way to ballast track. At most conventions that I've attended the public is gathered around the large railroad layouts and I think the popularity will continue as more afols join the cult.

I agree with what was said reference broadening the content - I would also suggest building your own layout tables with designs. It seems many of the large groups who do this have different variety's and it would be nice to have an easy reference. Lighting your MOC's is always a great topic especially when two companies Lifelites and Brickstuff are so big in the community.

Thank you for even thinking about moving forward with this ideal. There have been many great suggestions and I hope this comes to fruition.

I've missed Railbricks intensely since the final issue. I would definitely be interested in a rebooted version.

I would love to see a technique focused approach. My skills need improving!

Interestingly, I see the traditional model train hobby dying in my neck of the woods. The guys I see at our train shows are getting very long in the tooth with no young people replacing them. I see Lego trains as a more viable hobby.

I would welcome the return of a magazine dedicated to LEGO trains. I miss the details and knowledge from Rail Bricks. I was actually looking at the first and second editions of Rail Bricks yesterday. I would be willing to subscribe to a new magazine, but it has to be both a hard copy and a digital version. A number of earlier earlier posts have also indicated the magazine needs to include more than just trains to attract the interest larger community as a revenue stream. The new magazine will also require a link to the larger LEGO community. Rail Bricks was available in the LEGO stores for sale and the new magazine would need the same level of access. Making the hard copies available for distribution at LEGO train clubs displays would generate interest but would require a loss for some time but would give it an opportunity to become more profitable in the long run. Rail Bricks has some very talented writers that were able to write about subjects they loved and that made it all the more special. Here’s hoping the new magazine with achieve the same level of quality and dedication.

I would love the opportunity to contribute to the new magazine in some form. We have lost too many of our original forms of communication because they were not able to adapt to the changes. While LUGNET stills exist, who really uses it or visits on a regular basis? AS a community, we can’t let this opportunity slip away again.

//CDC//

I'm loving all the positivity and support for this idea, and I'd like to add my own support too. However, I'd just like to inject a note of realism if I may. I hope that what I say is not going to be misinterpreted.

I'm not qualified in such things, but this is effectively a business proposal and, as such, it needs to make business sense. Floating the idea here among a keen community is always going to get a positive reaction, but the market research needs to be more wide-reaching to gauge whether or not this support is enough to make such a project sustainable. As much as WE want it, I doubt this community alone could sustain it, both in terms of content and revenue.

I wasn't part of the community at the time it happened but presumably Railbricks folded for a reason. Lack of exposure and quality of content doesn't appear to be the reason. But whatever it was simply rebooting Railbricks looks like it might have only limited appeal.

However, content is an issue. As a community we're keen to share our work, techniques and show reviews for free on the Internet. As such, a successful magazine needs to compete with this and offer something truly different.

I hope the idea works, though. But if it doesn't, what about a curated LEGO trains Flickr or YouTube channel where people can submit articles, photos and videos?

I'd consider subscribing to a Lego Train Magazine; but I feel since I have used Lego since I was a little kid and I have access to viewing MOC's online, a magazine would need something to make it special. I'd like to use the popular Model Railroader magazine as an example; Model Railroader doesn't focus entirely on showing "someone did this" and more on "this is how you can do it." If there was a Lego Train Magazine that showed "how to" with topics such as SNOT building methods, replicating prototypical equipment in Lego, decals, layout wiring, DCC in Lego trains, etc. it would be a great resource to the community (I feel Railbricks was at its most useful when it did that, and I will need to revisit the instructions online from Railbricks someday, I just know it!). But if the new magazine was just, "Here are photos of the MOC's you already saw online" then I don't know if it would give much new to the community.

I second this, or third, fourth it . . .. . with a focus on the how would make me want to buy

1. Would you be receptive to the idea of an all new LEGO railroading magazine?

2. Would you pay for a subscription to a LEGO railroading themed magazine?

3. Would you buy advertising in a LEGO railroading themed magazine?

4. Would you be interested in volunteering to work on such a magazine? Work areas involved include reporting on community events, interacting with authors, photographing exhibits, graphic design work, writing, website design, website administration, financial accounting, among others. Would being reimbursed for your time factor into your decision?

5. Would you be interested in writing articles for such a magazine, provided you were reimbursed for your work? There are many free outlets available. What would be your best incentive for writing for a magazine?

Thanks Elroy, for posting this.

A1. Absolutely....I've found Railbricks both very enjoyable and helpful over the years

A2. Yes, I'd be happy to pay around 3.50EUR / 3.80USD for a digital magazine of similar quality to Railbricks.

A3. Not applicable for me, but if I had something relevant to sell, yes.

A4. Yes, maybe some writing, if I felt I had something new to share. I would not want to be paid.

A5. Refer A4. Best incentive for me would be to give back to the community/hobby that I have had so much enjoyment from

:thumbup:

Cheers,

LLL

Thanks again, everyone, for the replies here and via email and PM. As some have mentioned, this is a business proposal, and this was just a first step to gauge interest from the target market. Judging by the response, I think it's worth my time to look into the financial side of things to see if it is feasible. I'll try to keep the community updated if/when I move forward, or if I decide not to pursue things further.

-Elroy

Let us know if you could use some help in this adventure. It seems like something pretty big to tackle alone and it might seem more manageable if you can spread the load.

Dan-147

i like to pay for an digital train magazine, if you need some startmoney ask around, maybe we can help you.

I loved Railbricks, for a while I wondered what happened. Now that I know. I can wholeheartedly say that I would love to get a LEGO train magazine. One thing that I see as potentially valuable would be that if this took off, maybe someone could finally convince the NMRA that L-gauge is a real thing. I really want to see this happen. I don't think that the LEGO train community is dead, but sometimes it seems that way. Let's bring it back and introduce LEGO trains to a new generation. Because, while I am 18, it seems to me that the vast majority of the people in this community are middle aged. I want to get more kids into scale lego trains and a magazine like Railbricks (which is what brought me into LEGO trains) is a great way to do that.

Edited by engineermax

Has anyone reached out to Joe Meno to see if he would be interested in one "Train!" article in each issue of BrickJournal?

Instead of us starting a whole new magazine, maybe we could tag along in an existing one, first. Baby steps, you know.

I loved. Railbricks, for a while I wondered what happened. Now that I know. I can wholeheartedly say that I would love to get a LEGO train magazine. One thing that I see as potentially valuable would be that if this took off, maybe someone could finally convince the NMRA that L-gauge is a real thing. I really want to see this happen. I don't think that the LEGO train community is dead, but sometimes it seems that way. Let's bring it back and introduce LEGO trains to a new generation. Because, while I am 18, it seems to me that the vast majority of the people in this community are middle aged. I want to get more kids into scale lego trains and a magazine like Railbricks (which is what brought me into LEGO trains) is a great way to do that.

I agree with you but the train community here on Eurobricks is not be dead, or even anywhere close. It may not be as active as the Star Wars, Pirates, or Historic forums, but it still is active. We may not get as many sets produced over a longer period of time, but when we do get sets, they are (usually) very good, or even if they are not, they still are parts that will be useful or those that can be turned into something fantastic. We have some really good builders here that may rival the best Star Wars SHIP builders / History model makers.

Edited by Murdoch17

Bit late to the party, but:

1. Would love RB or something similar back

2. Would pay. Perhaps up to £40 a year for 4 issues

3. N/a

4. Yup, could help with quite a few things, from community stuff, to design and web admin/design (that's my day job). Doesn't necessarily need paying if it's flexible

5. Yes, be happy to write.

Edit: John1's comments on trying a one off article in another magazine might be a good testing ground.

Edited by BricksMcgee

Reboot it using the old name and change the format as needed. It's OK to make money. Do what you gotta do to provide a service people will enjoy. Make a full time business out of it like Joe Meno did if you can. Sell ads, charge for subscriptions, and pay authors and photographers for their contributions. If you need a copy editor I'd be happy to help out with that.

Personally I didn't download RailBricks regularly because I kept forgetting to check for new issues. I'd be happy to pay a reasonable fee to receive a print magazine, as I do with BrickJournal, but online only is probably more financially viable in this day and age.

Bill

One thing that I see as potentially valuable would be that if this took off, maybe someone could finally convince the NMRA that L-gauge is a real thing.

At the NMRA 2014 national train show the president of NMRA came over and complemented me on my very nice trains, thanked me (and by extension the other lego builders on display) for bringing our "toys" (his words... which is true... but no less toys than any of the other layouts at the show). I asked about making L-guage formal, to which he said NMRA is a liaison organization between he manufacturers and the modelers. Since there is only a single manufacturer it just does not make sense. In that regard he was probably right, there is little they could do for us that we do not already have (could you imagine the likes of TLG sitting down with Athearn, Walthers, etc.?). Especially since our manufacturer of choice probably is not interested in coming to that table.

RailBricks was great fun, but also took a lot of work to produce. The thing that I think really did us in was in the span of 3 years the contributors collectively had something like two dozen kids. Nothing gets in the way of playing with your toys like having to share your toys with some munchkin who has no appreciation for SNOT.

One of the things we really need is the focal point that was RailBricks.org I would really love a goto site that housed train only instructions, LDD files, and LDraw files. Toss in the various reference archives from ILTCO and new content. Probably curate it to keep the quality top notch (and spammers out)

Has anyone reached out to Joe Meno to see if he would be interested in one "Train!" article in each issue of BrickJournal?

Instead of us starting a whole new magazine, maybe we could tag along in an existing one, first. Baby steps, you know.

Hey stranger! Good to have you roaming around these parts (and Mr. Ward as well). And with an excellent idea to boot.

At the NMRA 2014 national train show the president of NMRA came over and complemented me on my very nice trains, thanked me (and by extension the other lego builders on display) for bringing our "toys" (his words... which is true... but no less toys than any of the other layouts at the show). I asked about making L-guage formal, to which he said NMRA is a liaison organization between he manufacturers and the modelers. Since there is only a single manufacturer it just does not make sense. In that regard he was probably right, there is little they could do for us that we do not already have (could you imagine the likes of TLG sitting down with Athearn, Walthers, etc.?). Especially since our manufacturer of choice probably is not interested in coming to that table.

Is this really true? (That LEGO is the only producer). What about ME Models, Brickforge, Astini, and the other clone makers? Seems they may not know about the others or are the purposely not counting them?

Is this really true? (That LEGO is the only producer). What about ME Models, Brickforge, Astini, and the other clone makers? Seems they may not know about the others or are the purposely not counting them?

I'm not sure how Lego representatives would feel sitting at the same table as 3rd party parts suppliers. From a corporate view it probably seems Brick Arms, Big Ben, ME Models etc doesn't have much difference in Lego's eyes than Ban Boa, Kreo and Megablocks do. I know from a FOL perspective there is a large difference between those custom suppliers and clone brands,but I don't know if TLG would see that opinion...

But yes I never thought about how since Lego is the only L-Gauge manufacturer, they really rule the "standards" themselves. It's not like the NMRA needs to create flange guides and track gauges for other manufacturers, since Lego does it on its own... an NMRA liason would be redundant.

But I am glad to hear from Zephyr the NMRA kind of has this branch of the hobby in their minds.

Edited by xboxtravis7992

After my own experiences, and the experiences of others similar to Benn's regarding NMRA, I am of the educated opinion that NMRA needs us a lot more than we need them. LEGO Trains are a gateway to the greater model train world, but NMRA members continue to dismiss it. Their aging membership is dwindling and desperately try to bring in the younger generation.

They should be embracing LEGO trains as a viable medium for model trains, a medium much more versatile, and uniquely reconfigurable, than "real" model trains. Get the kids hooked on LEGO Model training and maybe, just maybe, they'll branch out.

But they bring in LEGO trains as a way to bring children into the show, as if in the hope that when the kids see the "real" trains, they'll somehow be drawn away from the colorful plastic blocks. Yeah, right.

On the other side, what can NMRA offer us? We already have a solid communication channel, several in fact, with LEGO. There's no need for another liason. And our Bricks don't just come from train sets, so we really don't need LEGO to expand their train offerings to thirty different types of boxcars.

TBRR is blessed to have local NMRA members who recognize the value of LEGO trains in their future, the regional Texas folks actively lobby for us. But I just don't see any benefit. Sure it's nice to be recognized, but LEGO train builders have more in common with the 1/8th scale live steam modelers than any Z, N, HO, G, or other guage club.

--Tony

No kidding about how Lego could increase interest in Scale Modeling alive. I've been a Lego fan my whole life but am now trying to branch out into HO scale (still slow going though, L-Gauge is easier to screw around with since I have a lot of Lego! It's taking a long time to build that HO collection especially once I start rivet counting... :P Plastic bricks are easier.)

Ok, I loved rail bricks it was awesome.....

LEGO trains is a niche why not broaden it's horizons and appeal to a wider audience not to the extent of Star Wars and Ninjago there is enough for that but to include LEGO CITY that way it can have modulars and the like included it can be a Train and Town publication it might be more viable then..

I would maybe pay a nominal fee for the publication but if it is only content similar to what is available for free on other forums facebook feeds etc its not worth while.

Looking forward to what may happen.

I think the issues with NMRA is not whether they like lego trains or not, I think the issue is that our chosen manufacturer is not interested in participating. While most of the activity in NMRA is model railroaders modeling railroads, at the heart the organization is a multi-manufacture counterpart to the lego ambassadors. I suspect if TLG showed interest (money?) in being part of NMRA that L-guage would be recognized. None of the third party suppliers are large enough to truly represent the scale. I THINK at the 2005 national train show (or maybe 2006?) we came close to NMRA recognition, lego was planning to have a presence from the vendor side (that was back when the Super Chief, BNSF and TTX cars were still in production). Jake McKee was in charge of community relations and had started the Lego Train Club (LTC) program as the first real venue between TLG and AFOL. But then lego pulled out, Jake no longer worked for lego, and the lego train world has been a little sadder ever since. I was a newbe in the AFOL world then so I didn't really know much of what was going on from the corporate side. There are a few of the ILTCO (the fan side of the LTC equation) officers still lurking these parts and they might have more insight.

The whole LTC thing launched because lego finally recognized that while AFOLs were small in number of customers, seeing all of that brick on a train display meant that a single AFOL could consume 10x what the typical kid would. The focus of community relations was initially strictly train (hence many AFOL groups were LTC rather than LUG), but then the original round of lego ambassadors (who had significant input on set design), the success of modular houses and other sets that would now be called Creator Expert, explosion of lego conventions, etc. shifted TLG's AFOL focus away from being strictly trains. This broader view makes sense from a corporate perspective.

The initial train focus by TLG also makes sense. The AFOL community as we know it was an outgrowth of the internet: bricklink allowed people to swap parts, lugnet allowed people to share stories (preceded by rec.toys.lego and alt.toys.lego for the really old farts) and brickshelf allowed people to share photos. From this lego train displays were the smallest "big thing" that could stand on its own in a public display. Half a dozen AFOLs could put together a nice lego train display that would grab a lot of public attention.

As for the model railroaders modeling railroads, as Tony said, we do not need NMRA to connect us to lego. In my experience NMRA is very open to us contributing their displays at all levels from local to national. In the same conversation I had with the NMRA president, he also said that they would love it if we AFOLs had our own set of sessions at the NMRA national meeting. So NMRA is open to us.

As for the occasional conventional model railroader shaking their head at lego trains, that also makes sense. If I spent 20 years building a to-die-for modular layout and I saw the kids running to the plastic bricks I wouldn't be thrilled. In the 1950's trains were sort of the lego of today, almost all boys played with trains. For most of today's kids (at least in the US) lego is far more tangible than trains.

Finally, this lengthy discussion about NMRA is actually on topic in this RailBricks thread because the RailBricks grew out of the LTC groups that put on the displays at 2005-2007 NMRA national train shows.

Not to be dismissive, but how do you propose L-guage be a set standard. There is no officially agreed upon size of trains 6-wide, 7-wide, 8+, etc. Then there is no real standard for buildings either.

Not to be dismissive, but how do you propose L-guage be a set standard. There is no officially agreed upon size of trains 6-wide, 7-wide, 8+, etc. Then there is no real standard for buildings either.

Lego standards can be a pain the neck - its always out of any scale...