Sign in to follow this  
Dovchenko

The last sets- LSW

*sigh* It's complicated. Some may know me from my pirates topic, my annoying clammer and obnoxious "comebacks" to everything anyone says. But it's serious now, and I'm quitting LEGO. I'll say it with honesty and not be a wimp when I say that I strongly dislike the new sets (but I won't get into flaming detail). I'm planning on buying perhaps some SW, but I'm not sure which sets. So far, I'm interested in the older sets- 2002-2004 range, before they brought out MDstone and Ltflesh.

But I was wondering if anyone could suggest anything. I like the slave I and jedi starfighter array, but I want some OT action as well. I don't believe I'm allowed to use EBAY, just Bricklink. Also, seperate sellers on Lugnet and such who are planning on selling it are welcomed. Please help!

Edited by sdpirate

Well I don't know why this is in the Non-System Themes forum, but I'll move it to the Star Wars subforum, since it seems more like you're looking for suggestions on what to buy, rather than a deal itself.

*sigh* It's complicated. Some may know me from my pirates topic, my annoying clammer and obnoxious "comebacks" to everything anyone says. But it's serious now, and I'm quitting LEGO. I'll say it with honesty and not be a wimp when I say that I strongly dislike the new sets (but I won't get into flaming detail). I'm planning on buying perhaps some SW, but I'm not sure which sets. So far, I'm interested in the older sets- 2002-2003 range, before they brought out MDstone and Ltflesh.

But I was wondering if anyone could suggest anything. I like the slave I and jedi starfighter array, but I want some OT action as well. I don't believe I'm allowed to use EBAY, just Bricklink. Also, seperate sellers on Lugnet and such who are planning on selling it are welcomed. Please help!

Wait, what? er...this is confusing. I'm just checking to make sure I have this right. You're desperate for suggestions on what discontinued sets to buy because you're quitting LEGO because you don't like the new sets and you can't use eBay for whatever reason. Um...so are you quitting LEGO or are you just not buying from the new line? If you're going to quit LEGO why buy more sets? And what is causing this desperation? Sounds like a small problem in light of all the problems that can pop up in life...

But if you're truly desperate for an immediate suggestion, here you go: Buy the original AT-AT. It is regular grey and yellow mini-figs. Did that help?

On a side note, Slave I is an OT set.

|-/ hmmm........ while I do think starwars is looking pretty bad, I would say set design is quite good overall this year, and one bad line of Starwars sets -- you should be happy they're still being made since the movies are done with -- shouldnt turn you off lego completely. I think there are some pretty outstanding sets in the starwars 08 wave, anakin's starfighter (despite the new face) and the droid battlepack come to mind. Please, just spare me the theatrics.

I personally think that the cloud car is a good set, it is small, nice design, new slope pieces, and very cheap on the internets! I don't have any other (2001) 02,03 sets I am afraid, so I cannot help you specifically.

Also, if you are quitting Lego why do you want more sets? I am confused! *wacko*

Edited by Lord Of Pies

I totally agree with LoP and Sinner. You're quitting because you don't like the sets. Why get more? That's like just increasing your evidently avid hatred for the sets. I'm confused here... But try... Wait, you're not allowed to use EBay or Bricklink? Why the heck not? I use EBay all the time, buying and selling. Maybe telling us why you can't use it would answer some questions.

I totally agree with LoP and Sinner. You're quitting because you don't like the sets. Why get more? That's like just increasing your evidently avid hatred for the sets. I'm confused here... But try... Wait, you're not allowed to use EBay or Bricklink? Why the heck not? I use EBay all the time, buying and selling. Maybe telling us why you can't use it would answer some questions.

He says that he's not allowed to use Ebay, for some reason.

Wait, wait, wait! Sorry, what I was trying to say came out wrong. I love the "semi-older" sets from 2002-2004 and such, but I really admit to hating 2008. 2006-2007 was a good time too, but I started to feel the effects. I'm not quitting BECAUSE I hate the new sets, that's actually sort of irrelevant. I just want to move on, collect those last few sets I remember seeing but never getting due to the price when they were in stores- you know, the old stuff. I'm not outwardly angry towards LEGO, but I'll say that I'm pretty annoyed.

THEREFORE, I just want a few sets that were really cool within that range. As of today, I've thought of:

Jedi Starfighter (2002, Epi. II)

Slave I (2002, Epi. II) *just clearing up that I didn't mean OT, sorry

AT-AT (2003, Epi. VI)

Jabba's Palace, Jabba's Message, and Jabba's Prize (2003, Epi. VII)

Millenium Falcon (2004, OT)

Sandcrawler (2005, OT)

Cloud City (2003, Epi. IV)

Sith Infiltrator (1999, Epi. I)

Lightsaber Battle (1999, Epi. I)

My favourite set design would actually have to be 2003 and possibly 2004, but overall I'm pretty loose on that. You don't have to use the ones on the list, you can suggest your own if you want. I know how skilled at that Eurobrick members can be... X-D

I use Bricklink a lot, but I haven't tried Ebay. I'm not looking forward to a speech on how to use it blah blah blah blah blah, anyway.

*EDIT: Why just quit and not buy any sets? Why would I want to do that? I love building LEGO, and once I quit and give my collection away hopefully for money, I'm planning on buying the ones I wanted before. It'll be costly, but THOSE I'll keep forever and not give away. Don't ask why, just sentimental.

Edited by sdpirate

collect those last few sets I remember seeing but never getting due to the price when they were in stores- you know, the old stuff.
AT-AT (2003, Epi. VI)

Millenium Falcon (2004, OT)

Sandcrawler (2005, OT)

Cloud City (2003, Epi. IV)

i'm probably reading this wrong, but you didn't buy the sets because of the price but you want to buy them now which are 2/3 times as much?

i'm probably reading this wrong, but you didn't buy the sets because of the price but you want to buy them now which are 2/3 times as much?

I was only 9. It's not like I knew better.

I'm 13 now.

The 2002 Slave I is set number 7153. That one won't cost as much as others you've listed, but it doesn't go cheap these days. Unless you get lucky, you're looking at original MSRP ($50) for a used set and double that for a sealed one.

Oh, and it sounds to me like you're starting into a dark age. Just because you are quitting LEGO for now doesn't mean that you have to get rid of your sets. Store them for a while. That way you can build them again when you emerge on the other side.

I was only 9. It's not like I knew better.

I'm 13 now.

Indeed. Time to start planning your retirement... :-/

Indeed. Time to start planning your retirement... :-/

I know, I guess it's pretty early. Might just hand around for a bit and buy some lego sculptures like Cafe Corner and stuff. We'll see.

On the episode ii Slave I, that is probably one of the worst sets I ever bought. It falls apart, has little playability, and is a hard build. I know you aren't into newer sets, but the OT Slave I that came out last year was a great set.

On the episode ii Slave I, that is probably one of the worst sets I ever bought. It falls apart, has little playability, and is a hard build. I know you aren't into newer sets, but the OT Slave I that came out last year was a great set.

Indeed; it was that bad Lego issued a fix kit! The Ep5 Slave one is beautiful!

Indeed; it was that bad Lego issued a fix kit! The Ep5 Slave one is beautiful!

It sure is/was. Well, I kind of bought it. 2006 was truly amazing, I just have a brattish and annoying hatred for the other new ones.

Anyone know what the two busts (Yoda sculpture and Darth Maul Bust) are like? I was thinking of getting the Gungan Sub, Gungan Swamp and Gungan Patrol to fill my quota of those obnoxious beings. You know, the gungans wouldn't be so annoying were it not for Jar Jar.

This might be on top of the Extreme series from Technic (4x4) and Off-Roader).

I like the Y-Wing Attack Starfighter. I was trying to save up for it before, only to loose interest for a prolonged period of time. I'm just nuts for it now- it's huge, and it's incredibly detailed. 200 bucks on Bricklink, but overall I think that's okay. Not ENTIRELY a waste of money. I've never purchased any UCS sets, but I know as a fact that MOST are at least credible.

This would go well (same colour/shade, go together with storyline, both look nice) with Darth Vader's Tie Advanced X1. Also UCS, it's got greys, blacks and dark greys compared to the greys, whites and yellows the Y-Wing sports. They go well together and all, but from the appearance of the Tie Advanced, it seems somewhat small. Is it a considerably good set, or shelf space? Will I look back to it as one of the most unique and awesome sets I own, or should I purchase another UCS? Judging by the videos I have seen, it looks overall as an interesting, yet simply designed ship. However, it IS an impressive ship.

Another idea would be getting the UCS Snowspeeder. It's bigger, got slightly higher scores, and I once wanted it as part of my collection. However, it's 300 bucks on Bricklink. I'm not paying more than about 200 for each set- that's just ripping me off. Of course, I always get ripped off on Bricklink, but that's just natural. Never before have I bought something for 300, however, and I'm not intending to. Near my old house there was a Lego Store... not vintage, but small- and in 2005, behind the counter and all wrinkled- King Kahuka, sealed, for 10 bucks. Not too rare for most fans, but to me it was like a blessing. They sold the Orient Expedition sets there, from 2003- and there just may be some Star Wars in that. They have tons of the rare sets on display- the 2004 falcon, the Original AT-AT, Sith Infiltrator- rare little things, at least to a fan who hasn't reached much of the depth yet. However, I just want to stop now. The pieces are kind of everywhere, and I kind of want to pick up a few of the old sets I intended to, but never did (as well as many of the newer ones). These sets are:

Y-Wing

Snowspeeder

Cloud City

AT-AT

Jabba's Palace

Tie Advanced X1

Silver Champion

4X4 Offroader

Extreme Off-Roader

Backhoe Loader

Ten sets that, if I were to have spotted them, I would beg for just about now.

Ranging from 80$ to 300$, I'm just looking for the easy way out.

Edited by sdpirate

BIG QUESTION! WHAT UCS SHOULD I GET WITH Y-WING AND TIE ADVANCED?

I LIKE SNOWSPEEDER, I'M NOT LOOKING FOR HUGE 600000 DOLLAR SET!

*sad*