Capitan Alonzo, late of the Royal Army of Eslandola, now found himself in the employ of the Merchant’s Colonial Trading Company. When agents of the MCTC discovered the island of Ferro Azure in February of 616, the MCTC quickly established the settlement of Salida Este to secure their claim. Capitan Alonzo was tasked with fortifying Salida Este and protecting its anchorage.

Protecting the settlement itself should be a simple matter of building a palisade, and so he assigned several men to this task and then turned his attention to the trickier task: finding a suitable location for his artillery battery to command the harbor. Alas, at this early stage, he had only one cannon for such a battery, but such were the conditions so far from home at the far end of the world.

Scouting locations on the heights above the harbor, Capitan Alonzo and his men found a spot that offered a clear view of the harbor while maintaining excellent defensive cover. After a few weeks of hard work, they had cleared the trees, leveled out a gun platform, and built defensive earthworks. Powder and shells were in place. Capitan Alonzo was pleased with the progress of his men. More guns would be needed in the future, but this was a good start.

About the uniforms: Capitan Alonzo still wears the golden armor and morion of his Royal command. His MCTC militiamen wear sleeveless buffcoats over green shirts, and their morions are of blackened steel.

01right.jpg

02left.jpg

03rear.jpg

04above.jpg

05barrel.jpg

06salute.jpg

Edited by Capt Wolf

Excellent design. The earthworks look wonderful and would be so much more effective than a palisade alone. The landscaping is nice too, particularly the tree stumps along the edge of the defenses. This is one of the more realistic arrangements in my eyes. Good work. :classic:

Fantastic earthworks that blend in nicely with the scenery. remind me of the middle 18th century french indian wars

*contemplates what adjective still hasn't been used*

SUPERB entry!

Must be the best artillery emplacement I've seen around here!

Great execution of a relatively simple idea.

Love everything about it! pirate_wubnew.gif

Really like the slant you've given the wall, as well as the earth bank behind it! :thumbup:

Excellent work with both the palisade and the earthworks, Capt. Wolf, and the vegetation and tree stumps are wonderful as well! pirate_satisfied.gif

I really like fortifications and earthworks with irregular angles, and this build is no exception. Excellent transitions between the jungle and the fortifications, especially with the green slopes. I also really like the technique you used for cut down palm trees. Simple, yet very effective. All around, a lovely job.

I really liked your version of artillery emplacement! It can easily be used as piece of artillery in a strategy board game as well! I particularly liked the sloped earthworks dressed with timber and the ingenious depiction of the cut down trees so as not to obstruct the artillery view.

As others have already commented, this is perhaps the best example of an artillery emplacement I have seen here! The slope on the palisade is great - good for deflecting round shot! And the representation of the earth works is very well executed! The palm tree stumps with the 1x1 tan plate are a great little detail and the rest of the vegetation gives this build a very pleasing feel - not to mention the excellent looking minifigs!. Perhaps my favourite entry in Cat A so far, great work!

this is a great looking battery! Really like how you combine earth and timber works in this beautiful moc. My only nitpick would be to use a different background for the photography!

There is just something well done about this and I like it. It looks effortless but I'm sure hours of trial and error went into getting it just right. Great job!

Really well thought out and structured build. My money is on you to win the challenge.

Great looking and very realistic emplacement, Cpt. Wolf. This will be one of the tougher nuts to crack, should we ever come to a clash of arms! pirate_blush.gif

This is awesome. When I think of a Lego fortification of this era, this is what I think of.

The foliage is well done, the fortification well built, and the figures compliment it all nicely. Bravo!

Thanks to everyone for the comments on this build! This one took a lot of time, but I think it paid off.

Excellent design. The earthworks look wonderful and would be so much more effective than a palisade alone. The landscaping is nice too, particularly the tree stumps along the edge of the defenses. This is one of the more realistic arrangements in my eyes. Good work. :classic:

Fantastic earthworks that blend in nicely with the scenery. remind me of the middle 18th century french indian wars

Very clever build - very clever battery. Brings a welcome touch of realism!

Excellent entry, amazing work on the piled-up earth.

Thanks! The earthwork was something that I wanted to include from the very start. After some experimentation, I found something that worked.

I really like fortifications and earthworks with irregular angles, and this build is no exception. Excellent transitions between the jungle and the fortifications, especially with the green slopes. I also really like the technique you used for cut down palm trees. Simple, yet very effective. All around, a lovely job.

The flanks are on their own plate, connected to the base by a single stud, and otherwise resting on tiles. the green slopes in front were necessary to hold the wall in place and create a transition in elevation between front and back.

Absolutely beautiful! The tree stumps are a nice touch.

Thanks. The tree stumps were a last-minute idea, but they really completed the scene.

SUPERB entry!

Must be the best artillery emplacement I've seen around here!

Great execution of a relatively simple idea.

Love everything about it! pirate_wubnew.gif

Thank you!

Really like the slant you've given the wall, as well as the earth bank behind it! :thumbup:

As others have already commented, this is perhaps the best example of an artillery emplacement I have seen here! The slope on the palisade is great - good for deflecting round shot! And the representation of the earth works is very well executed! The palm tree stumps with the 1x1 tan plate are a great little detail and the rest of the vegetation gives this build a very pleasing feel - not to mention the excellent looking minifigs!. Perhaps my favourite entry in Cat A so far, great work!

The vertical slant to the wall was the purpose of the build to me. I wanted to experiment with techniques that could be expanded to build the bastion to an earth and wood fort, but figured I should start small and not drive myself insane.

this is a great looking battery! Really like how you combine earth and timber works in this beautiful moc. My only nitpick would be to use a different background for the photography!

No argument there. I need to step up my photo-editing game. I'm figuring some things out. But in this case I decided to just show off the build and not worry about the background on this one.

There is just something well done about this and I like it. It looks effortless but I'm sure hours of trial and error went into getting it just right. Great job!

Thanks! That it looks effortless is a great compliment, as it was anything but! I must admit it turned out better than I expected.

Thanks again to everyone for the kind words. Much appreciated! This was a satisfying build when it was finally finished.

Excellent build overall which feels very historically correct! I especially love the design of the earthworks :classic:

(It was something like this I originally had in mind for my Ch2A entry as well before it...well, grew)