Sign in to follow this  
Bricksmith

Power Functions in a small steam engine?

Hi all!

I've just submitted a set idea to Lego ideas, but reached a problem.

Here's an image of the set idea below; as of writing this the idea is still awaiting approval so is not on the Lego Ideas website:

26078214765_3d6d58b457_c.jpg

While i've put a lot into making the set look nice and giving it playability, there is one problem that I still feel like i should tackle to make this a solid idea for a set.

Most/all train sets produced by Lego are supplied with the ability to have Power Functions. As this is a small saddle tank engine, there is no room for a motor.

The passenger carriage does have space that could accommodate a power functions battery and receiver, but that would mean that the engine and coach would have to be permanently attached.

Lego won't make alternative molds for ideas sets, so suggesting an alternative motor design would not be possible.

Does anyone have any ideas? would be a great help!

Many thanks,

Isaac.

Edited by Bricksmith

Canvas Rail has a very nice saddle tank engine (0-4-0) that has all the power functions components including lights squeezed into his design. You may be able to consult with him and split the project between the two of you although I am not sure if he modified parts you will have to talk with him or get his contact information

21098108183_5eb0a4f655_z.jpgLEGO dark blue saddle tank steam locomotive with open ended passenger carriages modded from 60051 high speed train by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

Hope that helps ad beautiful train by the way

-RailCo

If you could just motorize the locomotive I don't think could be a problem leave the batteries and the IR receiver on the wagon.

Lego proposed the same solution with the Emerald Night, the tender carries the battery pack and must be linked permanently to the locomotive.

A similar problem affects also the lego set 7750.

Good luck with your idea project! :thumbup:

If you could just motorize the locomotive I don't think could be a problem leave the batteries and the IR receiver on the wagon.

I think this is probably the best solution to the peoblem. Thanks for the help! I'll get wprking on that idea!

This is a small steam engine I've built, with full PF included in it.

25587145302_32c955ab5b_b.jpg

Edited by Paperballpark

This is a small steam engine I've built, with full PF included in it.

That's fantastic! Thanks for proving it can be done. I've ended up linking the engine with the coach, which is not as convenient but at least it means there's plenty of space for the wires and so on:

26002215012_f7d44fb500_c.jpg

Edited by Bricksmith

Here's another take on a small engine with all PF included. There's even room for a fig to sit (just!)

Sorry for the poor quality. I'll reshoot when it goes for a run at the local show.

Thanks to Canvas Rails for the idea about the tank sides!

25507730243_fa016ac19d_n.jpg

26043988931_a8d61d9482_n.jpg

Here's another take on a small engine with all PF included. There's even room for a fig to sit (just!)

Sorry for the poor quality. I'll reshoot when it goes for a run at the local show.

It's a great design, i'm very impressed how you managed to get all the power functions into such a small space!

Also, the project is up on Lego Ideas! If anyone is interested, please take a look!

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/136947

I've just submitted a set idea to Lego ideas,

Isaac.

Love the project! The dark red is beautiful and the cab details are great.

Canvas Rail has a very nice saddle tank engine (0-4-0) that has all the power functions components including lights squeezed into his design. You may be able to consult with him and split the project between the two of you although I am not sure if he modified parts you will have to talk with him or get his contact information

-RailCo

Thanks RailCo. I'm just happy to help someone else get a project up if we can. My Ideas project for the Little Black Train Project did not get too far (and when the Mega Train Project came out I wanted to buy that one instead anyway:), The only modified parts are the shortened crank pins on the wheels, and it can be built unshortened or without for the purists.

Thanks to Canvas Rails for the idea about the tank sides!

Thank you, Love the green engine. Beautiful. It is awesome to see so many shunters in one thread. Glad you were able to source the angle plates in the right colour for the front, they made such a difference to my blue one. I'll do a post shortly on the red one I am working on but here is a WIP photo below.

I think this is a great Ideas project Bricksmith, it is not country-specific and captures the magic of steam engines really well. I like having the whole thing self contained in the locomotive because I use mine for shunting more than running in loops, but I do not think it is worth losing the cab detail for. The biggest issue with the battery box being in the carriage is weight over the driving wheels. A train weight in there will help considerably.

Good luck with the project and if I can be of any help at all, please let me know through here or Flickr.

Cheers,

Rob (Canvas Rails)

26039274862_88489a92d0_n.jpgWIP Lego power functions red saddle tank steam locomotive by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

Amazing! Saw this and I had to support it! :thumbup: I haven't built a LEGO steam locomotive yet (the Emerald Night had been discontinued long before my dark ages ended), so if this does get approved, I would gladly buy several of these. Again, awesome job!