The Ryugyong Hotel is a 105 levels pyramidal building located in Pyongyang (North Korea).

6218560241_9269affa0e_z.jpg

Ryugyong Hotel Pyongyang North Korea by Raymond Cunningham, sur Flickr

The construction has started in 1987 aiming to become the world's tallest hotel after completion planned for june 1989. However, the completion was delayed and the construction stopped in 1992. The exterior was finally finished in 2011 after the construction has been resumed in 2008. The interior is still under work.

During the 16 years of halt of the construction, it was called "The Worst Building in the World".

I found it interesting to build because of its shape which fits perfectly the LEGO Architecture style anf its dark blue colour on most pictures.

25461888344_eddff96c65_c.jpg

Ryugyong (3 views) by Daniel Stoeffler, on Flickr

This is my entry to the Marchitecture 2016 Contest.

More info : en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryugyong_Hotel

Enjoy :wink:

Hideously fantastic, DanSto! You captured well the ungainly proportions and almost mystical, halting beauty of that monstrosity ... Cheers!

I've never seen this building but it's strangely beautiful like something from a piece of concept art for a fantasy novel. Excellent rendition!

This is a beautiful model of a beastly building which defies categorization in the world of Architecture. It's probably best described as a Brutalist form, but the 1980's date and glass facade suggest Postmodernism.

I added it to my collection of amazing LEGO Brutalism here: https://www.pinterest.com/tomalphin/lego-architecture-brutalism/

Thanks again for sharing!

---tom

very beautifully drawn, although neither the original nor the model look like a buiding to me ;-)

good luck!

Well, nice model but that is an "interesting" building. Maybe the dear leader was compensating for something else, hrm? :look:

Those commie freakshows over there took forever to build this and still have nothing to show for it. I do feel for those poor people, though. I do hope we can make things right with them after we vaporize that f__ing lunatic. :sceptic:

Splendid. This tower is like designed for Lego indeed and the model is capturing its form and structure incredibly well. Few if any compromises had to be made even in this scale apparently.

Great work.

Great work. Good luck!

Thanks.

Hideously fantastic, DanSto! You captured well the ungainly proportions and almost mystical, halting beauty of that monstrosity ... Cheers!

Beautiful monstrosity :laugh:, thanks :wink:

I've never seen this building but it's strangely beautiful like something from a piece of concept art for a fantasy novel. Excellent rendition!

Thanks. Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with fantasy : north corean communist architecture :sad:

This is a beautiful model of a beastly building which defies categorization in the world of Architecture. It's probably best described as a Brutalist form, but the 1980's date and glass facade suggest Postmodernism.

I added it to my collection of amazing LEGO Brutalism here: https://www.pinteres...ture-brutalism/

Thanks again for sharing!

---tom

Thanks. "Brutalist" seems to be well suited for this build :wink: .

very beautifully drawn, although neither the original nor the model look like a buiding to me ;-)

good luck!

Thanks. Yes, it looks more like a huge sculpture or a rocket (hopefully not a nuclear weapon) with an oversimplified shape.

Well, nice model but that is an "interesting" building. Maybe the dear leader was compensating for something else, hrm? :look:

Those commie freakshows over there took forever to build this and still have nothing to show for it. I do feel for those poor people, though. I do hope we can make things right with them after we vaporize that f__ing lunatic. :sceptic:

Clearly, the aim was to have the highest hotel in the world and its build corresponds to a few percent of the inner product of North Corea :sick: : this is why its construction was a failure. Do you know that they also have the largest stadium in the world : https://en.wikipedia..._of_May_Stadium ?

Well done on this build. I love the color choice.

Thanks. I think also that dark blue was a good choice :wink: .

Splendid. This tower is like designed for Lego indeed and the model is capturing its form and structure incredibly well. Few if any compromises had to be made even in this scale apparently.

Great work.

Thanks.