BR 59-035

2-12-0 Steam Locomotive

Hello Everyone,

this is my last (definitively last ...I promise :grin: ) Baureihe steam locomotive!

The reason why I decided to create this new BR is because I've accepted the challenge proposed by the user Monai to run on a standard lego track a locomotive with six axes in a single rigid frame.

br59-001.jpg

br59-002.jpg

The hardest part of the project was assemble the free driving axis very close to the valves; the fun part was to design an original pistons system.

Thanks to Zephyr for his usual custom rods (this time he had to make a standard-out :blush:)

br59-020.jpg

Thanks to Zephyr also for the custom ladders perfect for access to the top of the boiler

br59-010.jpg

Historical & technical data

The locomotives of the series 59 were the last steam engines built for overcoming the "Geislingen Steige", 6 km long, sloping 26%, which is on the Stuttgart-Ulm line.

This challenging and steep line had forced engineers to study locomotives that they could develop power at low speed.

Despite the 6 coupled axes, it was the most spectacular but not the most powerful. Do not overlook the fact that the axes 6 preceded by a carrier driving axis.

The small wheel diameter of 1,350 mm, however, required a maximum speed limit of 60 kmh; that is the reason why were too slow on the flat.

br59-003.jpg

br59-004.jpg

br59-030.jpg

The locomotive is powered by two motors hidden in the boiler and the motion is transmitted to a 20 teeth gear placed between the third and fourth axle. The drive wheels are on the second, third, fourth and fifth axis (while are free those on the first and sixth axis).

br59-005.jpg

As usual the locomotive is equipped with front and rear lights, and on the tender is hidden the battery with the three-position switch: motor on, off, motor + lights on

br59-014.jpg

br59-015.jpg

br59-016.jpg

br59-017.jpg

br59-018.jpg

Now enjoy the pictures:

br59-006.jpg

br59-007.jpg

br59-008.jpg

br59-009.jpg

br59-011.jpg

br59-012.jpg

br59-013.jpg

br59-019.jpg

br59-021.jpg

br59-022.jpg

br59-023.jpg

br59-024.jpg

br59-025.jpg

br59-026.jpg

br59-028.jpg

br59-029.jpg

Happy Easter! :laugh:

Note:

Soon I'll post the video of this locomotive on corners and switches.

Your locos set the standard in loco design business ☺ Yet another example of outstanding work. Q: do you collect them all, or old ones are brick donors for new ones?

Good morning Emanuele,

exactly as expected, a very nice locomotive. Many details of good recognition value. The thing with the frame:

32324.jpg

two drive motors I should engraft me. This is much Stabieler.

Yet beautiful Easter holidays

Fantastic work LT12V, another great BR project completed :thumbup:

Great you got so many axles motorized and included so many lovely details.

My question, how did you get the small front wheels to rotate left and right, I see they can move left and right on the curved track but can't clearly see the pivot mechanism in the diagram?

WOW!!!

Another stunning piece of engineering art. :wub:

Every time I look at the pictures, I find more interesting details. Thank you so much for sharing! :thumbup:

this is my last (definitively last ...I promise :grin: ) Baureihe steam locomotive!

I really hope you’ll change your mind, there are so many „Baureihen“ left…

Or how about the German-inspired Bulgarian class 46? As far as I know, not even model railroad manufacturers have dared to reproduce this behemoth – but I am sure you could do it!

Happy Easter to all of you!

Hey Tenderlok nothing has more details of your locomotives, but thanks for your appreciation! :blush:

About the still available BR please do not launch me new challenges ... you know I'm addicted to German steam locomotives ...this time it's your turn to astonish us! :grin:

Hey Tenderlok nothing has more details of your locomotives

Thanks for the compliments. But (especially when considering that your locomotives are built to a much smaller scale than mine), I find it absolutely amazing how you manage to reproduce all those details AND maintain functionality.

this time it's your turn to astonish us! :grin:

Unfortunately, the 2-4-4-2 Mallet I announced nearly 3 months ago has been put aside for the moment, as the intended level of detailing caused serious structural problems.

But I'm working on another project... :wink:

Always inspiring models that you make LT12V. I always am in awe of your building style because I can't even build a decent classic looking locomotive (Which is still in progress but no one seems to like). Simply Beautiful locomotive!

You've done it again!

-RailCo

But I'm working on another project... :wink:

This sounds promising :thumbup:

The scale be will be the same of your surprising creations?

Wonderful MOC, congratulations. I can't wait to see the video.

Tomorrow I will upload the videos :sweet:

Always inspiring models that you make LT12V.

You've done it again!

-RailCo

You're too kind RailCo ...and I like the style of your MOC! :classic:

Again a new beauty build by you! Always impressive to see how you get all those details in the locomotives. And this one is no different. Those pipes, megaphones and robotic arms look great!

And now you finished the Baureihe, are there any new plans for locomotives?

Again a new beauty build by you!

And now you finished the Baureihe, are there any new plans for locomotives?

Oh thanks THERIZE ...you're to generous!

For the new plans I'm working on three Italian electric locomotives from '40, '60 and '70 ...two of them are almos finished (just with CAD) :classic:

You can fall in love with steam locomotives only thanks to your work. This is very cool - 6 axis that rotates. About phenomenal similarity with the prototype in photographs, you can not even mention above.

I never built locomotives. But, thanks to your perfect job, should think about this.

It's time you let a professional album about the features of the comparison features of the construction of locomotives in real life and Lego graphic.

Thanks for the detailed photos, thank you for the stunning design and the similarity, thank you for your love for so rapid locomotives.

Edited by Nemo57

I never built locomotives. But, thanks to your perfect job, should think about this.

It's time you let a professional album about the features of locomotives in real life and Lego

Wow Nemo57 I'm glad to hear from you that you'll start to build! :excited:

The professional album is not a bad idea ...a was thinking about a poll on this site :classic:

In my small hometown is a monument to the locomotive. But with him we will begin to collect. I'm not sure anything will. but sure to gather - begin.

0_4ebf4_a6a06616_L.jpg

Edited by Nemo57

In my small hometown is a monument to the locomotive. But with him we will begin to collect. I'm not sure anything will. but sure to gather - begin.

Nice! :thumbup:

Is it a locomotive of the Eastern countries?

- - -

As promise here you can find the videos of the running BR59-035 :classic:

Edited by LEGO Train 12 Volts

That's a great looking model! Nice detailing around the boiler and working valve gear too.

The overhang in corners is not as bad as you might expect but then of course the engine itself doesn't have much overhang beyond its driving wheels.

One question: why did you decided to have a gear train to drive 4 axles? They're already connected with the driving rods... On my BR 55 the motor only drives the front axle, the other three are only driven by the rods.

The overhang in corners is not as bad as you might expect

One question: why did you decided to have a gear train to drive 4 axles? They're already connected with the driving rods

Hey Duq you are right ...to make this model I thought exactly to your BR55 to understand that I could do the same with this BR! :thumbup:

About the question I've decided to motorize four axles to increase the smoothness of the wheels and to minimize the friction caused by the effort of the driving rods :classic:

Regarding the gearing. You use a 20 tooth to couple to the undercarriage, but it looks like from the diagram you go back to a 20 tooth on the driving axles? Is your gearing still 1:1?

Edit: And amazing as always!!

Edited by jrathfon

It takes the curves/switches very well.

On the switches I'm on the edge of the limit :grin:

The attention to detail is superb.

Yor attention to details is great too eurotrash, I always look enviously your MOC! :classic:

Regarding the gearing. You use a 20 tooth to couple to the undercarriage, but it looks like from the diagram you go back to a 20 tooth on the driving axles? Is your gearing still 1:1?

No, the gear ratio is reduced to 0,6 (each turn of the wheels the motor rotates 1,6 times) ...more power and less speed like the original BR 59! :laugh: