polarstein

MOC Modern lakeview house a few weeks after the dark ages ...

Hi all

Just got out of my dark ages a few weeks ago (and learning what this all means in parallel). As I was inspired by a few awesome buildings here, particularly from frogstudio and niteangel, I thought I should do some first steps myself. Here's the first building I'm not too embarassed to show. It contains 95% of all reasonable bricks I have including recent additons (glas panels, tiles).

Facing the street the house offers sufficient privacy with a limited amount of windows. Elements on both sides also shield the garden.

25359311434_635e443fab_z.jpg[Lego MOC] Modern Lakeview House - Front by Polar Stein, on Flickr

25691473490_f0e994c07b.jpg[Lego MOC] Modern Lakeview House - Front by Polar Stein, on Flickr

The carport under the black studio is high enough for a campervan.

25363292283_2e24478222.jpg[Lego MOC] Modern Lakeview House - Front by Polar Stein, on Flickr

A view from the top displays the L shaped form of the middle part of the building and glas elements in the roof.

25992022295_6d3575c013_z.jpg[Lego MOC] Modern Lakeview House - Roof by Polar Stein, on Flickr

The black studio as well as the whole rear of the house contain a maximum of glass elements to give the building an open atmosphere. The house may be built on a terrace facing a lake in a larger city.

25897072691_56d531ab5b_z.jpg[Lego MOC] Modern Lakeview House - Garden by Polar Stein, on Flickr

The living room is open with a gallery. I'm still practising my skills with stairs such that access to the first floor is only via spiral stairs in this model ;-) Not ideal.

25966114036_60097d4def_z.jpg[Lego MOC] Modern Lakeview House - Garden by Polar Stein, on Flickr

25691476140_29c3b7331d_z.jpg[Lego MOC] Modern Lakeview House - Garden by Polar Stein, on Flickr

View from the side showing the wall and roof access. The building has just been finished, the owners still need to plant some virginia creeper or so at the wall.

25691471940_a2580687bb_z.jpg[Lego MOC] Modern Lakeview House - Garden by Polar Stein, on Flickr

Feedback of any kind very welcome!

Polarstein

I think it would be really interesting for you to revisit this each year as your parts collection and techniques improve.

Welcome back to childhood :-)

Nice start, and some fine details with the bricks available.

There are other technics for making spiral stairs, but that one is also working.

Keep it up, and if you have a LEGO Store near you, go fill up some cups in the Pick a Brick wall from time to time. Having 100-500 of one type of brick makes it a lot easier to build frrom imagination.

Oh, and join a LUG near you - there are sometimes good ways to buy cheaper bricks there as well.

Learn to use BrickLink if you need that special brick, or many of some..

Very nice modern building. I like in particular the way you have used the Technic bricks for architectural effects.

Welcome back to Lego man. Beautiful design... and nice photography too!!

Thanks all for the good hints and your nice comments! Thanks

I ordered a lot more bricks on ebay including a few snots and converters. I'm excited to see if I can master something more advanced, e.g. a contemporary/modern house on a cliff or at least a rocky hillside. I like those designs with a discreet impression from the street and showy on the other side. Uhhhhh, so many possibilities and limitations all at the same time, I guess my brain will melt down ...

This is sooooo awesome! The use of Technic bricks (is that the technical name? IDK. The bricks with holes :laugh:) gives a very interesting look to the building. It reminds me of sixties feature walls:

http://mstrattonarchitecture.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/blog-1-photo.jpg

http://41.media.tumblr.com/745112adee5f5b42257d54361bb34481/tumblr_nbqrzulZA01s7ifuuo1_500.png