Beck

Bogie Comparison

Hello Everyone,

After finishing my new bogie using brass tubing with this and this, I decided to test the friction of three axle types. The first bogie used technic axles with RC train wheels. The second was the standard lego bogie in the kits (I used the bogie from the horizon express). The last was a custom bogie that I describe above. More information can be found on the l-gauge website here.

I used 26 sections of straight track and elevated one end by about 6 inches. I released each bogie from the raised end of the track. The technic bogie traveled a measly 6 track sections. The standard TLG bogie traveled 19 section and the custom bogie traveled 23 sections.

I realize that this wasn't the most, well, fastidious test, but should still highlight the fact that TLG could make better bogies :wink: .

Photos

*The gold shafts on my bogie represent the brass tubes*

I hope this was helpful and somewhat informative!

Thanks,

Beck

Just curious as to how you attached the LEGO metal axles to the wheels. I know that they are a loose fit, which is why I substituted K & S Engineering 0.081 inch brass rod (product number 8168). It has a nice snug feel without glue and I haven't had any wheel pop off. I'd like to replicate your test to see how the brass axle measures up.

Thanks for the info. It pretty much confirmed what I thought about using Technic axles on unpowered bogies. I was glad (and a little surprised) to see that the brass tubing outperformed the standard LEGO bogie.

Dan-147

Edited by Dan-147

The standard TLG bogie traveled 19 section and the custom bogie traveled 23 sections.

My guess is, with proper lubricating, both of these could travel even farther. I know some people on the forum, of which jtlan is one, lubricate their wheel sets. I've experimented with automatic transmission fluid as a lubricant, hoping it would attract less dirt than a traditional lube, and it works to some extent, but the silicon-based stuff that jtlan uses lubricates much better.

I used the recommended 8127 brass tube and had absolutely no problems. Yes the wheels pop off once and a while, but when placed on rails, there are no such problems as the rail keeps the wheel from falling off the axle. To attach the brass tubes, I used two of these part on either side. Since the lamp holder part have some rotational play in its mounting, I rotated them inwards a bit decrease the chances of the brass tube sliding out. You can also check out the LDD file I included in my bricksafe folder.

Yes, lubricant would have decreased the friction inside the brass tube. Just out of curiosity, what specific brand of lubricant would you use?

I use Loctite threadlocker for the axles and wheels. It's something I also use when I work on my motorbikes. Simply dip the tip of the axle into the stick and then stick it in the wheel. Not as strong as glue but it stops wheels coming off accidentally.

http://www.jensentools.com/loctite-37684-248-semisolid-stick-medium-strength-threadlocker-blue-9-gram-stick/p/423-208

I've tried silicone lubricant but found it rather messy. I might try the Labelle oil next if I can find it here somewhere.

I use dry graphite powder for my brass on brass axles. It comes in a handy squeeze-tube (brand name "Greas-em"). Works very well and it isn't messy. It does seem to make a significant difference to the rolling resistance.

Dan-147

My guess is, with proper lubricating, both of these could travel even farther. I know some people on the forum, of which jtlan is one, lubricate their wheel sets. I've experimented with automatic transmission fluid as a lubricant, hoping it would attract less dirt than a traditional lube, and it works to some extent, but the silicon-based stuff that jtlan uses lubricates much better.

I've tried silicone lubricant but found it rather messy. I might try the Labelle oil next if I can find it here somewhere.

I'm using silicone-based shock-absorber fluid for RC cars, which comes in a variety of thicknesses. I apply it with a cotton swab to the inside of axle holes and whatnot, but it takes a little while and sometimes gets into places where it shouldn't (a problem currently affecting my DD1). I suspect that's a problem with all lubricants though.

I'm considering trying the Labelle oil, but I'm skeptical that the oil can be both thin and stay in place. Maybe it has better surface tension? I'd like to hear from folks who have tried it.

Other things I've been meaning to try: wax (as something solid and less-messy?), teflon.

As far as keeping the wheels from popping off, I used the older 9V era bogie sets, which have the metal axle running THROUGH the wheel. It takes a surprisingly large amount of force to get the wheels on/off the axle. You do have the metal point sticking out, but it's the same as the plastic point on the RC era wheels.

Ohh! This is all very interesting since I am about to embark on building custom bogies! I just ordered the wheels and need to find the brass this week! I'm so thankful for

for starting this topic!! What excellent timing! :excited::grin: