Sign in to follow this  
Elostirion

[ESL - FB2] The Holder's Secret in the Nova Terreli Dockyard

Román Esteban Fontonajo was finally happy again. He had won the auction for the Holder's Secret rather unexpected, in fact he had just placed a bid to increase

the price a bit. Well then, as a man of honour he immediately paid his 33 Dubloons and took the ship to the Nova Terreli Dockyard, where the Fontanjo family was

one of the main owners. Even though he didn't actually even want the ship. But that was another story. The old pirate ship was no beauty. All wooden brown, not

much left of the sails, and a big whole in its hull where the cannons of the royal fleet had hit it.

"Well then", he told the leading worker in the dockyard, "it's not an easy task, but I guess you will make that old pirate vessel a real Eslandolan beauty? Renew the

hull, replace the destroyed cannon, maybe paint it green - I know you will find the solution."

"Sure", the worker replied, "we will do our very best!"

Two days later Román had returned, just to hear that a chest full of gold had been found in the captain's cabin. That gold would make up for some of the money

spent, at least.

26014968645_beaeffb5b9_b.jpg

25920028241_e4092849b2.jpg 25714688280_c441ed257b.jpg

This is my MOC for the Holder's Secret which I won in the Auction.

Question: Do I have to submit it via license form?

Also the dockyard will become a licensed medium artisan (no sure if it qualifies as medium or as big, but imho for big it's just not enough) in the future.

Question: Is there a rule or leadership-decision forbidding to get two licenses out of a single MOC?

Yes, you must submit this via license form.

Regarding the other question: will get back to you on that (also on whether or not 0 cargo is okay for bounty runs).

---

Great build! You did a really good job portraying the activity in this scene, the texture for the background wall is very nice too! :thumbup:

Great scene! Lots of activity. Good texture on the back wall.

How'd you get so lucky as to bid on a ship with a chest of gold hidden inside? pir_laugh2.gif

Oh, I love it! :wub:

It's such a pleasing sight to behold. You've done well in building up the working area to allow good placement of the vessel. All the loose timbers and other materials clutter up the scene nicely and the painter's scaffold and supplies looks great. It's a more accessible scale than what I attempted. I like the back wall, but what does it represent? Also, a little detail to the stone surface (cobblestone or something) would look nice but then who am I to talk... It looks pretty good with exposed studs anyway. And I'm liking that crew - it's a great use for those minifigs and similar to what I wanted to do had I not built in the scale I chose.

I'm getting an "early exploration" vibe from the high stern and single mast of the vessel. She looks pretty good, although a bit angular overall for my taste. The damaged section is very well represented and overall she fits the setting well.

But whoever you bought it from might want to do a more thorough job checking for hidden stashes of gold next time!

About the license, (second question) I'm not aware of any conversation about getting two licenses from one MOC. I've wondered this myself, and it seems the question mostly involves ships that first appear in some scene, like what you've posted here. The easy way around the issue is to post the vessel by itself as a freebuild in completed form - as shown it's still a WIP of sorts, and unlikely to earn a license that way.

Good work and keep it up. :classic:

...Question: Is there a rule or leadership-decision forbidding to get two licenses out of a single MOC?

Two licenses is fine, as long as the MOC justifies it (as it does in this case).

It seems I misinterpreted the nature of the question. Because the vessel was purchased and already licensed, there's no reason the dockyard couldn't be licensed as well. It's an entirely different build and obviously functions independently of the vessel. :classic:

Excellent build, Elostirion, the activity comes across very well, and there are lots of great details all over - from the hole in the hull from the cannon shot, to the small stand for the guy working on it, to the cannon by the side and the wall in the background! pirate_classic.gif The story is really hilarious as well though, especially this part pir_laugh2.gif

Román Esteban Fontonajo was finally happy again. He had won the auction for the Holder's Secret rather unexpected, in fact he had just placed a bid to increase

the price a bit. Well then, as a man of honour he immediately paid his 33 Dubloons and took the ship to the Nova Terreli Dockyard, where the Fontanjo family was

one of the main owners. Even though he didn't actually even want the ship...

default_roflmao.gifdefault_iamded_lol.png

Silver flat tiles??Oo!!! Quite a piece!!

As usual and up to your normal high standards, yet one nice looking MOC coupled with a nice touch of narration

Thank you all for the very nice feedback, glad you like it!

I tried out some new stuff for the ship and personally I am not 100% happy with the outcome. While I still believe in this overall approach to building ships I think it'd be much better suited for very large ships, and also if the bottom of the ships is visible. Next time I know better. :-)

I really like the shipyard with all its details, including the dock, platforms, supports, spare parts, etc. The shot hole in the side of the vessel is a great idea, although one wonders what huge gun has made such a hole! :pir-oh3:

The vessel is a bit too "minecraft-y" for me, but the size an number of gunports all seem to fit a class 2 A. As always, I am not really a fan of these box-shaped cabins on top of the hull, and your boom seems to point in the wrong direction - perhaps they are using it for a crane?

I can see how it is difficult to build a vessel this size with this technique without it ending up too blocky.

Nice build, and congratulations on winning the auction! :pir-wink: