Sometimes I'm surprised that some of these models are not known to everyone. I mean Francesco is the most iconic car builder to me and that Pagani is the best looking Lego car for me. Perfect balance between giving the shape, filling gaps and part usage (no filling gaps at whatever cost). The bodywork is pure art.

And yet, it's not known to even experienced builders.

Good catch, guys - it is indeed Francisco Hartleys blue Pagani Huayra, or at least my somewhat poor attempt at it. I still have a some things to fix here and there, only crucial thing that does not work is steering, but it is more or less display ready, looking fine on the shelf :). As it was pointed out, there are no instructions for it and Francisco does not respond to any requests (which is understandable - I bet there are lots of people asking for instructions). Unfortunately all pictures I could find are quite low resolution and it's hard (or impossible) to see the details on them. Considering I only recently woke up from a my dark ages and I have no experience building anything in such scale, it's nightmare sometimes :D But the result is (or will be once it's finished) worth it.

Sometimes I'm surprised that some of these models are not known to everyone. I mean Francesco is the most iconic car builder to me and that Pagani is the best looking Lego car for me. Perfect balance between giving the shape, filling gaps and part usage (no filling gaps at whatever cost). The bodywork is pure art.

Is very similar to Tyler Reid, both use less pieces as possible, not my style at all, but they get pure art bodyworks. I'm still shocked with this grey R8 from 2010.

QKZH7r6.jpg?1

Is very similar to Tyler Reid, both use less pieces as possible, not my style at all, but they get pure art bodyworks. I'm still shocked with this grey R8 from 2010.

I honestly do not find this style of building very impressive due to the lack of a solid structural design. It's too cheesy IMO. I am much more impressed when parts and panels are used in a clever and legal way. It's too easy to just cut a piece of tubing when you need to connect point A to point B. Not to mention that it's too easy for the body shape to get bent oddly throwing the symmetry and proportions off(the roof for example) and then you have to fine tune it back into the proper position. I have noticed that many of the best looking models also have the weakest design along with somewhat questionable techniques being used. I have started to build quite a few AFOL models and whenever I get to a point where the build is just too fragile or parts are being used in a questionable manner, I usually lose interest in finishing it.

Edited by Meatman

Sometimes I'm surprised that some of these models are not known to everyone.

Everyone and their grandma has built a supercar at some point. And sure, it's a noble pursuit with its own challenges and rewards, but... there are so many more interesting things you can build.

I honestly do not find this style of building very impressive due to the lack of a solid structural design. It's too cheesy IMO. I am much more impressed when parts and panels are used in a clever and legal way. It's too easy to just cut a piece of tubing when you need to connect point A to point B. I have noticed that many of the best looking models also have the weakest design along with somewhat questionable techniques being used. I have started to build quite a few AFOL models and whenever I get to a point where the build is just too fragile or parts are being used in a questionable manner, I usually lose interest in finishing it.

Have you tried my models? :wink:

Anyway, I agree. But at least Francesco's Pagani doesn't use cut tubes. Though it's apparent from the vide that the model is fragile.

My biggest gripe about some popular model is that they literally need sculpting. For example roof made of flex axles with beams slid onto them and the shape depends on the actual properties of the rubber.

I think that more people would know about them if they had the chance to actually build them and then shared their experience along with their finished build online. :classic:

Everyone and their grandma has built a supercar at some point. And sure, it's a noble pursuit with its own challenges and rewards, but... there are so many more interesting things you can build.

I agree and don't see why you say this to me. I know the stuff you build, I know the stuff Kevronista builds, etc. Maybe I'm biased, but in case of Technic, it's hard to ignore the supercar topic. And maybe my grandma also build supercars (and I definitely build them because they are easier to make than any other machines), still there is a finite and not so big number of really good car designs. And Francesco does build good looking models. Edited by Lipko

Have you tried my models? :wink:

Anyway, I agree. But at least Francesco's Pagani doesn't use cut tubes. Though it's apparent from the vide that the model is fragile.

My biggest gripe about some popular model is that they literally need sculpting. For example roof made of flex axles with beams slid onto them and the shape depends on the actual properties of the rubber.

Yes I have, and your designs are solid, which is very nice. I am waiting for some bricklink orders to start on your new car. :classic:

I too do not like when liftarms and parts are being used over flex axles to create curves. This seems to be appealing to many, but I just don't like it. I do not think that it is something that we would ever see come from a designer's table at Lego, and there is probably a reason why.

Edited by Meatman

Like Filius said: this Pagani seems to be fine standing on the shelf. The functions, rigidity and playability could be of questionable quality if to be compared with some high standards and expectations from critics. And I personally have the suspicion that the designer is kind of “cheating” on the video, especially with the alternately moving flaps not shown both in a single sequence. Moreover, I have compared some chassis details with the pictures and there are few differences. So what? It´s a great MOC and piece of art. Everybody is watching and slobbering :wub_drool: – F. Hartly did a great job!

Even if I don´t care much about the legalstic discussions about questionable part usage, beams over flex axles and such stuff I got itchy fingers to join in at this point. Who makes the rules? The TLC designers or “common sense”? It´s fine if everybody follows some rules setting personal limits of what is tolerable and what is not. Everybody is free to appreciate anything according to what he/she likes and what not, it´s so called artistic freedom, end of story. If a designer is bound to limits regarding rigidity, reliability of functions and “legal” techniques for average taste and due to quality requirements making sure high sales numbers and customers satisfaction, it´s a different story. By the way: the new Porsche also seems to have some flaws such as front suspension, the steering wheel area, rubber bands and who knows what else. Nothing and nobody is perfect. I like it.

And what´s wrong with use of cut tubes instead of flex axles? The Pagani again is a good example for the scarcity of flex axles in blue colour: 10x12L and 12x19 L. I bet that the shops at Bricklink all over the world can´t provide you all of them at once to build only 1 copy and even if so, you´ll spend a fortune for them. I´m about designing a blue supercar right now and I just can´t get around those issue, so the simplest solution is the pneumatic tube. Third party (ouch, another “no go” :tongue: ) but who cares.

640x360.jpg

The availability of blue parts in general still is very limited and I´ll be glad if being able to make an entirely blue MOC with all the hooks and eyelets though.

Edited by brunojj1

^^^Personally, I don't take models that use 3rd party materials and very questionable build techniques as serious as I do ones that are more well thought out with standard Lego parts and clever ideas. I know some people don't care, but that is just my opinion.

Edited by Meatman

I am familiar with Francisco and I thought that looked like his Huayra but I was incredulous that anyone could have reproduced it from the photos. Good job!

I honestly do not find this style of building very impressive due to the lack of a solid structural design. It's too cheesy IMO. I am much more impressed when parts and panels are used in a clever and legal way. It's too easy to just cut a piece of tubing when you need to connect point A to point B. Not to mention that it's too easy for the body shape to get bent oddly throwing the symmetry and proportions off(the roof for example) and then you have to fine tune it back into the proper position. I have noticed that many of the best looking models also have the weakest design along with somewhat questionable techniques being used. I have started to build quite a few AFOL models and whenever I get to a point where the build is just too fragile or parts are being used in a questionable manner, I usually lose interest in finishing it.

You are right, I said I like this aesthetic bodywork with Lipko structural style for example. As a machine builder my MOCs have to be strong and functional before than aesthetic and my supercars too. With panels I don´t think the same, I am too purist to can put 50 or 60 panels together without interference between them, without fix each tightly, I mean they can not be moved by hand, maybe things will change with the new flex panels.

Builders make the rules themselves and the audience makes the rules themselves what they find impressive and what not.

For me, Lego is a toy that's meant to be played with (so needs to be durable), and Lego is a system that has to be easy to assemble and disassemble by a child (no overcomplicated stuff or too much force required, also no cutting or anything that needs precise workmanship), Lego is about reproducibility (no "sculpting" or relying on loose parts and also I try to use current and not so rare parts).

But that is just my opinion and usually I fail at some point of these rules.

With beam stacking my biggest problem is that the overall height of stacked beams is not integral. So when it's braced in traverse direction (and I wouldn't leave it unbraced), gaps could be present randomly and the whole surface feels flimsy (I also failed with this one with the hot rod).

Sorry for taking the thread off.

Edited by Lipko

I believe there was a similar thread a few years ago. Basically everyone was complaining that most car MOCs were read. The argument back then: Red is the most common color with the best parts palette and other colors getting better over time.

The last years we got an amazing push in white parts and this resulted in many white MOCs. This isn't a bad thing at all and many very awesome designs have been created since then.

A little while ago when I decided to build the Icarus myself, I thought that I have had enough of white cars for now. Of the last 4 cars I built, 3 were white. Plus 2x Arocs, which basically is white, too. So I decided to go for red again and it was a good decision.

On the other hand, I am completely with you guys. We need overall more color diversity. Blue and green are totally underrepresented in the parts palette. Orange is getting better, yellow is getting worse (at least panels-wise)

In the end, we can only complain and hope the complains reach some innovative designers. Perhaps the upcoming Porsche will lead us into a new coloring stage as well. But we'll see about that.

After months of collecting, I am prepared to show you ....... orange!

800x598.jpg

800x598.jpg

This is Skyliner's Countach with Efferman's 3D printed wheel covers, converted to orange with a bunch of part substitutions and design changes. Note that I am still waiting for the orange axle connectors from the new Ideas Maze to become available to finish this off.

A beauty, isn't she? I wonder, could you have used the parts below as headlights?

32449.jpg ... available from the Elves sets.

Edited by DrJB

A beauty, isn't she? I wonder, could you have used the parts below as headlights?

32449.jpg ... available from the Elves sets.

Possibly, but I don't think that would look good with the orange.

I had planned on building Madoca's trophy truck in red but the price of the 32016 connectors nearly gave me a heart attack. I would need twelve of them for a total of $65 : ( It really does feel like I've missed my chance to build this stunning truck in the best color.

Building it in white is certainly a possibility but I would rather not spend money on parts that will turn yellow in a few years.

Sariel first recommended this a while ago..... and I severely second it. I would love to see something in like a metallic or flat silver. Silver with black or something. I think that would be great. TLG has already produced panels in this color:

14588170731_SPLASH.jpg

What I wouldn't give to see a super car in this color or at least in the color combination......

i would love to see a car made of Flat Silver....but there isint enough parts available in that colour, certainly not Technic parts.

I had planned on building Madoca's trophy truck in red but the price of the 32016 connectors nearly gave me a heart attack. I would need twelve of them for a total of $65 : ( It really does feel like I've missed my chance to build this stunning truck in the best color.

Building it in white is certainly a possibility but I would rather not spend money on parts that will turn yellow in a few years.

i have about 20 Red #3's now.....not sure what to do with them though.

In previous days, I would look at my shelf of Technic supercars and lament the overabundance of red. Why did everyone have to build in red? The answer, of course,

But lately something unexpected has happened: I find myself with a pile of white cars. I can't take a picture of them because some are still in work, but these three excellent white cars are all brand new and made possible by an abundance of new white parts.

I am hoping that blue is next. I have black and yellow covered.

Whats the most left car in the top pic? Its so hole-less... lovely!

In attempt to sanitize and recover from The Great Canine Fecal Disaster of 2016, I was forced to move my supercar shelf out of the room to access the carpet. This meant taking all the cars off the shelf and stashing them somewhere for a day or two. This is the result.

800x598.jpg

800x598.jpg