Sign in to follow this  
Corvus

7648 MT-21 Mobile Mining Unit review

indexed.gif

During the annual Thanksgiving Road Trip to the relatives, I stopped by the TRU in Portland, OR. Lo and behold, the new Mars Mission sets! Obviously, I bought them. ;-)

The box: Not much to say. Standard box art for MM sets, nothing new.

mmreview_001.jpg

mmreview_002.jpg

The parts: Some good parts here. Even if you don't like the set (Which I highly doubt after I've had my say :-P ), it's a decent parts pack.

mmreview_005.jpg

mmreview_007.jpg

I noticed that some old parts have been renewed. I know the wheel has been used in the '07 sets, but the cockpit and hitch I haven't seen in a while.

mmreview_013.jpg

The VLDSS (Very large DSS). Grr.

mmreview_009.jpg

New part. At least, I think it is. Someone slap me if it isn't. *wacko*

mmreview_017.jpg

The figs. I know I've seen that head before, but I have no idea where. Does anyone know?

I was hoping that the aliens would have new arms, at least. I was sadly mistaken... On the upside, I finally discovered that they glow in the dark. :-$

mmreview_008.jpg

The alien has a jetpack. If that's not the silliest thing I've ever seen, I don't know what is.

mmreview_014.jpg

mmreview_032.jpg

The build.

Simple build. A block. So easy a caveman cou- oh, never mind. Geico's used that one enough.

mmreview_014.jpg

Then, we have this jobber right here. Not sure what it is, but it looks like some crystal scanning device.

mmreview_015.jpg

It's starting to look pretty nice. It almost looks practical.

mmreview_020.jpg

mmreview_021.jpg

The cockpit is suffering from a bad dose of over-stickering. On the upside, we have a new piece there to hold the cockpit on.

mmreview_024.jpg

mmreview_025.jpg

Part 1 complete. It has a nice little radio antenna, which is ruined by the use of a random missile that looks like it's going to shoot the antenna before it shoots the alien. Still, I never say no to a good missile I can use for something else.

mmreview_026.jpg

mmreview_029.jpg

The trailer: Fairly simple, but it works. It features stabilizing arms, a handheld saw, and an extremely random mini-bot who's purpose escapes me.

mmreview_034.jpg

mmreview_035.jpg

mmreview_037.jpg

The Whole Meal Deal- Erm, general pics.

mmreview_039.jpg

mmreview_040.jpg

Overall, I thought this was a good set. In fact, it reminds me of this:

452-1.1105158266.jpg

Finally we have seen the light!!! I've been waiting for a while deciding if I was gonna get this....well I've decided after that wonderful review I am! Good job reviewin!! *wub*

Cool review, thanks!! :-D I personally think the minirobot is awesome, and (dare I say) cute! This was described on Amazon to be a mobile lab, I'm not seeing that. I do however see a crystal hauling vehicle. *sweet* Pretty cool, not as bad as previous sets.

~Peace

Finally we have seen the light!!! I've been waiting for a while deciding if I was gonna get this....well I've decided after that wonderful review I am! Good job reviewin!! *wub*

Thanks!

Cool review, thanks!! :-D I personally think the minirobot is awesome, and (dare I say) cute! This was described on Amazon to be a mobile lab, I'm not seeing that. I do however see a crystal hauling vehicle. *sweet* Pretty cool, not as bad as previous sets.

~Peace

I suppose it's cute, if you like that sort of thing... :-P As for the lab, It's hi-tech to examine a piece of dirt, so it's good. *y*

very cool. i'm getting this one as soon as its in america!

well maybe. depends on how much money I have.

It is. ;-)

I stopped by the TRU in Portland, OR

Thanks for the review, it's a neat little set. I hope it comes to Australia sooner rather than later.

That minifig head was also used in 7699 MT-101 so that may be why it seems familiar.

=That minifig head was also used in 7699 MT-101 so that may be why it seems familiar.

Ah. But I think where I did see it is the lego Magazine, in the article on Biff Barker.

Thanks for the review! *sweet* Aside from the fact that I like the model, this set has a few new and useful pieces so I will have to get it! *wub*

thanks for the review. I still will not get this set. Speechless about it

A wonderful set and, perhaps, as close to Classic Space as possible. *y*

Also there

that head might have been from rock raiders. lovely set, and a good review.

jifel

Hmm, not actually a bad set. Not high on my 'to buy' list, there're other things up there first, but definitely a possibility somewhere down the line.

Thanks for the review.

Great review, but am I the only one who thinks this is a pretty homely looking vehicle? The small exploration robot is cool, but the large windscreen on the main vehicle reminds me about Jack Stone!

I also think the bases of the vehicle parts are very basic and look almost unfinished with the holes and such.

I think I will pass this one, even though the alien has a jet pack and there is the nice mini vehicle.

Tks for the great review MM ;-) Its always appreciated to have reviews of new set.

Having said that I really don't see the point of that set and its such money and time wasted IMO. I don't like that theme apart the dropship and 6wheeler and that tiny vehicle doesn't do the trick for me.

I see it as a really cheap excuse to try and please Classic Space fan with that horrendous MM graphics and what amazes me is that you guys loke that :-D

Money saved On !!

*yoda*

Ah, thanks so much again, Mr. M! This set looks great! I probably won't get this though. I hat MM as far as it goes. I agree with xwingyoda on this one. Does the minibots wheels move?

Edited by ~VBBN~

I see it as a really cheap excuse to try and please Classic Space fan with that horrendous MM graphics and what amazes me is that you guys loke that :-D

*yoda*

singingintherain.jpg

I guess you

Tks for the great review MM ;-) Its always appreciated to have reviews of new set.

Having said that I really don't see the point of that set and its such money and time wasted IMO. I don't like that theme apart the dropship and 6wheeler and that tiny vehicle doesn't do the trick for me.

Money saved On !!

*yoda*

Poor *yoda* . Look on the bright side- At least it's not a mass of technic parts like the 6 wheeler. ;-)

Excuse me?! A mass of technic parts? Wow, you better lock your doors tonight....

Uh oh.

Don't get me wrong- I like the set, but the world's gone crazy when we need technic parts for the little bike. |-/

Uh oh.

Don't get me wrong- I like the set, but the world's gone crazy when we need technic parts for the little bike. |-/

I agree with the Technic bike.... :-X I would be getting the set whenever you can.

Edited by Exo-builder59

Thanks for another 08 review *y*

This set is an attempt of a classic, but has failed

Part pack on :-D

Piranha

(Jelly jetpack? :-| )

(Jelly jetpack? :-| )

COme on, you have to admit that a jelly with a jetpack is funny. Pathetically so, any way. I might make a vig of this, involving a brick wall and plenty of trans-green peices. X-D

COme on, you have to admit that a jelly with a jetpack is funny. Pathetically so, any way. I might make a vig of this, involving a brick wall and plenty of trans-green peices. X-D

:-D Hilarious Actually.......However its imapled to it, so I guess its a suicide mission :-D

Piranha

Thanks for posting the picture of this new MM set. When I first saw the Mars Mission sets I was a little apprehensive about the design and the aliens (They could have at least make movable arms :(), but anyways when I bought the small fighter I was totally hook. My fave set from the line is the mech.