Sign in to follow this  
Gulagurag

[SR Mar FB 3] – Athena’s Grace

[As this is my third free build of the month, I'd appreciate any approvals from non-Sea Rat players. This will be licensed as a class 2A ship]

Amara, decked out in her new clothes and with her hair tied back, stood at the helm of the ship as it rode over the waves. With her new crew following orders diligently, she would easily make Bastion by nightfall. There, she would reunite with Captain Meloche so they could continue to sail together under his banner. Her new ship was a sturdy vessel. Renamed 'Athena’s Grace', the strength of the lumber under the captain’s feet gave her confidence for the future.

boat%206_zpsbwcjr1ll.jpg

(Tried my hands at cloth sail building after my failed attempt at Lego sails last month)

boat%207_zps8nmx7x03.jpg

Two cannon ports on both sides and a swivel gun on the stern deck allow for superior fire power as the ship can bring three guns to bare on either port or starboard assaults.

boat%205_zpsqxars6y3.jpg

Barred windows allow for airflow to the sub deck crew quarters but also have hatches to lock down in stormier weather.

boat%202_zpsyjtslfst.jpg

To the rear, the Athena’s Grace shows it’s colors by flying a large pirate flag as well as the Sea Rat yellow and blue.

boat%203_zpspyiojjn9.jpg

Two separate floors exist inside the crew compartment to allow for light in both the Captain and crew holds.

boat%204_zps8zc3rc0h.jpg

This fine ship comes with the low, low price of "free"... if one kills its original owner.

A nice little vessel. I like how you've used the tan slopes at the stern of the vessel. +1 :thumbup: from Corrington

Altough she seems a little short, I really like her sturdy look. Only thing is the name: are you Oleander? :laugh:

Eslandola approves :thumbup:

Great build, the stern view is superb. I will sleep easier tonight knowing that Amara is safe...but with her on the prowl in this fine vessel, maybe others aren't? Sails look good too, though I'm not sure a crew of just three can manage them in a high sea! As I said on your last post, better background and photgraphy would improve the overall look of such a neat model.

Anyway, Amara's survival wins approval from this Corriethumbup.gif

Edited by Fuzzy MacFuzz

That is a nice little ship. Hopefully she has better luck than her predecessor.

I like the use of the slopes for the stern as well as the lion gargoyle for a figurehead. The multiple levels of stern windows are unique to a ship this size, but it helps to add to her identity.

The sails look good as well. I would suggest making the jib larger and connecting it to the mast above the topsail, not between the topsail and mainsail as you have currently done. Also, to avoid the fabric fraying along the edges, try pasting a glue and water mixture along the edge of the cloth before cutting it out. That's how I make sails, and it has not failed me yetpirate_wink.gif!

Oleon approves :thumbup:.

Nice little ship, Corrington approves :thumbup:

Edited by BrickOn

I like that! Definitely a sturdy little ship. While I like the more realistic attempts on small vessels, I also enjoy this kind of bulky half chibi style ships. It's just the spirit of the classic pirates theme to have small nutshells like the caribbean clipper, renegade runner, etc... I especially like how well the gun ports and windows fit in.

Thank you everyone for your comments and approval. I'll try to work on the photographs, sail improvements and crew in future builds.

Cute... I mean frightening vessel default_laugh2.gif

The colors work out well, the shape is nice, it has quite a bit of 'official set feeling' to it.

I'm not really convinced by the use of the tan slopes for the bow, it seems a bit odd, but it might be difficult to find proper bricks for this part.

Just stick to what Captain Genaro mentioned about the sails for future vessels.

All in all a very fine ship.

Oleon approves thumbup.gif

Good looking vessel, GulaGurag.The cabin is looking nice, as is the rigging. I think this would work perfectly with one more mid section in the hull, as it currently looks a bit stunted :pir-blush:

I too would suggest a spanker sail behind the mast, to make her a true cutter. Her current square rig will make her very unhandy sailing near to the wind! Your custom sails are very nice, and while you could consider captain Genaro's technique, I sort of like the rugged look of the current sails.

Corrington approves - well done!