Sign in to follow this  
Fuzzy MacFuzz

Glassworks and Stone Quarry, Port Raleigh

25966244416_b3ba9d794b_c.jpg

20160322_084423 (2) by Chris Warburton Brown, on Flickr

[NB, for reasons that will become apparent in my Challenge 2 entry, this letter is dated before the arrival of the reinforcement marines at Port Raleigh and the building of Fort Redoubtable]

To Viscount Oxley

Dated this last day of February in the 616th year After Empire

Sir, I have been here for almost a week now and wanted to write to update you on our progress. Things here are still in a most primitive state. Except for the Government House, there are no buildings to speak of. We are short of every resource required for civilised living. Luckily some enterprising gentlemen have established the Merryweather Lumberjack Company so we have wood of all kinds, and even charcoal. The lack of horses and oxen is particularly trying, all must be moved by Herculean physical labour. And before anything can be built, the dense jungle must be cleared by hand. Nevertheless, with every passing day we improve the place.

25363440683_1e4804bbb2_c.jpg20160321_223554 (2) by Chris Warburton Brown, on Flickr

The most pressing need is for housing, most here are living in tents made from sails or rough wood cabins. Anticipating this, before leaving Corrington I was able to engage the services of three excellent artisans. Firstly, the brothers Edward and Thomas Strong, both master masons. The Strongs took no time in opening a quarry and constructing an impressive wooden crane to lift the stone from the ground.

25897206391_db8ece5d8f_c.jpg20160322_084003 (2) by Chris Warburton Brown, on Flickr

Above: The quarry. Edward Strong (bottom left) is supervising the extraction of stone. Without horses, oxen, or powered machinery this is back breaking work for all involved.

Secondly, Mister George Ravenscroft, a window glass maker. Mr Ravenscroft, a widower, has brought his two sons and two daughters with him, and all are engaged in his business. He and his sons have thrown up a glass kiln without delay; they assure me that the sand here is perfect for their craft and even now the first panes are appearing.

25359456704_76b8165e13_c.jpg20160322_083953 (2) by Chris Warburton Brown, on Flickr

Above: The glass works. George Ravenscroft the Elder is spinning crown glass while his son George the Younger is cutting the spun glass into panes. At the kiln William Ravenscroft is melting the next ball of glass ready for his father. The youngest sibling, Lily, is sweeping the floor while dreaming of running away to become a pirate. The fourth sibling, Isabella, is out of shot, pushing a handcart of glass panes up to Port Raleigh.

I can assure you sir that we all labour without stint for the good of our mother country, and that soon streets of big fine houses will appear in Port Raleigh that will do Corrington proud. Any resources you can send us will surely hasten this endeavour; in particular we need good food, good wine, good horses, and good men.

I remain your humble and obedient servant, John Hawksbrugh

25359438024_8b03f30fc0_c.jpg20160322_132445 (2) by Chris Warburton Brown, on Flickr

Above: John Hawksbrugh is delighted wih the rapid progress being made. With stone, timber and window glass now available house building can begin very soon, and he is already dreaming up grand designs.

25897197021_956c8a5c7b_c.jpg

20160322_132155 (2) by Chris Warburton Brown, on Flickr

Above: A wider view of the beach at Port Raleigh

Edited by Fuzzy MacFuzz

It really has this atmosphere of a new part of a new settlement where construction has just started, full of life and hard work, everyone helping out, sharing the work, for the greater good of the community.

Also great job on the water foaming at the beach, really love it in this last picture!

I must second Elostirion's comments: you're doing a wonderful job of capturing the feel of a start-up settlement in the New World! I really like the glass spinner, and that's a great water effect on the beach. The brick-built smoke is good, too. Lots of activity! Well done!

A nice colonial feeling stems from this nice MOC. I like the use of island base as quarry, the pieces used as hot glass and somehow the sea! Also i am happy i am not the sole person on earth that thinks these bandit torsos are fit for this era.

Oh, better join bricks better (talking about the place where jungle meets glassworks at 1st pic) pirate_tong.gif

A sterling job, Mr McFuzz! :thumbup:

The glassworks feature is brilliant with the spinning and cutting.

Also very clever use of that island plate. Is that sandstone being extracted?

I don't suppose the skunk it a pet though.

Port Raleigh will grow from strength to strength :pir_laugh2:

Great build and excellent story! I really like the concept of starting with base materials for the colony. The glass works in particular intrigues me and your portrayal of spinning glass is inspired! Just what Port Raleigh needs, great job!

Really nice, I'd echo the comments already made about the start-up feel being well judged. I wonder how many accidents come about from having a stone quarry right next to a glassworks though pirate_wink.gif

Oh and yes the foam is excellent, I'll be pinching that at some point pirate_laugh2.gif

Neat build. I really like the glassblower's facility - that's a nice design and the stack of glass panes is a good feature. I just hope they're careful! I also really like the use of the Loot Island base for the quarry - the shape is great for that use and the overhead structure with the crane looks pretty good too. The layering of the beach is nice and the water looks fantastic. Good work and it's good to see Port Raleigh advancing. :classic:

Cool build, I like all the things going on and the busy feeling. The quarry itself looks pretty great!

Excellent job. Great use of the prefab base as a quarry, and the glassworks are nicely done as well. I love how you showed the settlement expanding right next to the untamed jungle; that adds a good deal of realism.

Fantastic job with the water. It looks absolutely wonderful in the last picture.

Looking good, so much going on, I especially like that glass being spun, really good use of the part!

The last picture is my favourite. You've got a great factory going, Sir!

BTW: I am still waiting for the other three pages of puns as that was a nice and unexpected oatcome of my free-build pirate_laugh2.gif

Thanks for all the lovely comments guys, they're really appreciated. pirate_tong.gif This is my first ever big MOC for Eurobricks so I'm pleased, and rather relieved, that so many people liked it.

The sea effect was really a lucky fluke. I used 1x1 transparent glass slopes, which looked OK, but then in the photo the light caught the top of the flat side of the slopes really well, this was entirely unplanned.pir_laugh2.gif

I am still not really happy with how the photography has turned out. However without major investment in a good camera and some studio equipment, especially for lighting, I'm not sure i can improve this very much. I just use a smart phone in my front room with natural light, then an edit function on my computer to brighten the colours a bit. If anyone has any hints for improvement, I'd be very grateful.

I was pleased with all the hustle and bustle of the scene, the atmosphere is what I hoped for. Unfortunatley, this happiness is not going to last...my challenge 2 entry will upset things! I'd better get back to finishing it...default_excited.gif