2380797-o_1aef53r4c1ktk87d133voba14el8-full.jpg

Link to MOCPages: http://www.moc-pages.../moc.php/426649

VIDEO FOUND HERE:

Hello, this is my first post on Eurobricks. Anyway, here I present my custom supercar RHM (Rage Hobbit Motors) Wutzwerg.

Note: this model is on Lego Ideas, the link for which is here: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/136011. I'm not really expecting the model to get either the necessary votes or to get turned into a set, but hey, I like to be surprised.

Propulsion: 1 x L motor

Steering: Front wheel with 1 x Servo motor and working steering wheel

Drive Type: RWD

Transmission: 4-speed sequential synchronized V2

Weight: 1.3 kg (2.87 lbs)

Length: 41.5 cm (16.3 in, 52 studs)

Width: 18 cm (7 in, 22.5 studs)

Height: 10 cm (3.9 in, 12.5 studs)

Power source: 7.4v 8878 Li-Po rechargeable battery box

Estimated part count: 1800 pieces

Suspension: All-wheel dual-wishbone independent

Opening hood, doors, and engine

V10 piston engine connected to drivetrain through transmission

Build time: ~60 days

Short Description

This is my first vehicle to be built without a real subject vehicle in mind. It has less of a focus on performance than my other vehicles, with only a single L motor for propulsion. It also has front-wheel steering with a working steering wheel, a new version of my 4-speed sequential synchronized transmission (link here: http://www.moc-pages.../moc.php/422999), and a motorized rear wing.

Introduction

For this car I was trying something a little bit different. I had just designed a new version of my 4-speed sequential synchronized transmission (link here: http://www.moc-pages.../moc.php/422999) and I wanted to use it in a car, but I also wanted to build something a little less performance-oriented than usual and thus fit in more functions.

This time, there is no original vehicle; make what comparisons you will, this car is entirely a product of my imagination. I think.

Drive Train

Part of my plan for this vehicle was to eliminate one of my customary 2 drive motors, leaving only a single L motor for propulsion. This freed up space for another M motor, as well as allowing room for the V10 piston engine. The V10 piston engine located behind the front seats, and was connected to the drive system through the transmission; as such, it varied with whatever gear the transmission was engaged into. Because of space restrictions, I had to replace the usual cylinder brackets with a custom rig, after spending a solid hour determining the exact geometry of the original brackets.

The transmission used in this vehicle works off of the same principle as my previous 4-speed sequential synchronized transmission; this transmission is also a dual-sequential transmission. What this means is that the transmission actually contains TWO separate transmissions which are shifted in such a way as to produce 4 distinct speeds. What differentiated this transmission from the previous versions is that the switches were not hinged: instead, they moved back and forth in a straight line. This can be seen and understood better from the video above, and you can expect instructions sometime sort of soon-ish. The transmission itself was shifted by an M motor geared 10:1.

Because of the lessened power from using a lone L motor, the motor had a gear reduction of 1.25:1 before being fed into the transmission, and then another reduction of 2:1 before the differential at the rear wheels. The car wasn’t fast, but it did pretty well for a single motor.

Steering and Other Motorized Functions

Steering was simple as usual - with a Servo motor and rack-and-pinion system - but this time I added a working steering wheel. That’s just about all there is to say for the steering system.

The final M motor was for the rear wing. This was no fancy job, just a linear clutch and lever mechanism to raise the rear wing, but again space restrictions made the implementation of this system difficult. The rear aesthetics were somewhat compromised to make room for the rear wing & mechanism.

Aesthetics

With this being the first time I’ve ever come up with my own large-scale car, I didn’t really know where to start, and all the online comments saying “Making your own car is SO hard!” were not particularly encouraging. The front was actually the first area to be built (because of the awkward and inconvenient position of the battery box) and the rest of the car was built using the front as a reference point.

Obviously, I can’t give my own unbiased opinion on the car’s aesthetics - many hours spent designing it have probably compromised my opinion as well - but I think the aesthetics turned out pretty well. Please, give me your honest opinions in the comments section!

Reflections

Not bad, I think, for a first attempt at making my own vehicle. Space was a little bit cramped because of the scale I chose to build it in, but everything mostly fit together in the end. It functioned really quite well: the transmission, rear wing, steering, and propulsion systems all worked without malfunctioning even once in the final vehicle, despite considerable use. That may be a first for me.

Despite having fun crafting my own vehicle, I can’t see this as being something I’ll repeat frequently. That’s not to say I’ll never do it again, but I do enjoy recreating existing cars, and of course brand familiarity with my viewers gives people something to compare to.

Enjoy the pictures!

2380800-o_1aef554bl1uh2imfdp1el4mngd-full.jpg

2380803-o_1aef554bma781r721u0g7n1pv8e-full.jpg

2380806-o_1aef554bn1lng9tm4iovso1e2pf-full.jpg

2380809-o_1aef554bn18s617r11s6j1b4i13cdg-full.jpg

2380812-o_1aef554bo5qvi69cgq6q61uo7h-full.jpg

2380815-o_1aef554bob9epdk1ude165o1q8ai-full.jpg

2380818-o_1aef554bp19u01tgcs491j6qu9pj-full.jpg

2380821-o_1aef554bp1v611tlu1pv11dpm17l6k-full.jpg

2380824-o_1aef554bp1klv4ut1fgg1gemogjl-full.jpg

2380827-o_1aef554bq8j2pnnu50p7h16j8m-full.jpg

2380830-o_1aef554bq1516jl1k0eush4pan-full.jpg

2380833-o_1aef554br1qv6fr11htefo9j7jo-full.jpg

2380836-o_1aef554br1e3j13ai1lp41jbg1jpmp-full.jpg

Edited by Rage_Hobbit

Nice and compact, good work on the body. You managed to fill in most of the gaps, a very hard job. Need a video to show suspension travel, etc...

Nice and compact, good work on the body. You managed to fill in most of the gaps, a very hard job. Need a video to show suspension travel, etc...

Thank you! There is in fact a video: the link is just below the first image.

It's very nice, but unfortunately they will never approve any kind of technic set :(

p.s. it will be great to use some non-Lego tires. These look like a truck tire.

First thing I notoced is the use of upside-down panels for the lowest part of the front bumper...simply brilliant! A very compact, functional and good looking supercar, I can see you spent a lot of time and effort on this model.

Edited by Zblj

Hi,

Welcome to Eurobricks. That is a very densily built, compact car. You have an interesting gearbox concept, a few questions about that:

I see you always engage two gears at the same time. Does it use a differential to couple the two clutch-axles?

You use a wormgear to switch between gears, which suggests a continuous movement of the gear levers. Is there a separate mechanism to ensure you don't end up halfway between 1st and 2nd gear? Or do you have to just stop the motor at the right moment?

I think the looks are not bad, like Epic Technic mentioned it does look a bit like a Huracan. But I do not really like the front part, having two curved lines above each other that both curve upwards from the center gives it a squashed look, like some giant sat on the front. Also the area around the doorhinge is a bit too messy (too many gaps and a too steep angle towards the door) for my taste.

I do like the rest of the door though, the angled 3x11 panel on top of the 5x11 looks really good.

I think it could use a splash of colour in the body as well. Maybe black window styles, or some black lines in the body to bring some life to all that red.

So, well done and keep building

Nice good looking supercar. I would just change the roof and windscreen. Should be more tilted and roof shorter. Good work. :)

Max

Edited by MaxSupercars

Hi,

Welcome to Eurobricks. That is a very densily built, compact car. You have an interesting gearbox concept, a few questions about that:

I see you always engage two gears at the same time. Does it use a differential to couple the two clutch-axles?

You use a wormgear to switch between gears, which suggests a continuous movement of the gear levers. Is there a separate mechanism to ensure you don't end up halfway between 1st and 2nd gear? Or do you have to just stop the motor at the right moment?

I think the looks are not bad, like Epic Technic mentioned it does look a bit like a Huracan. But I do not really like the front part, having two curved lines above each other that both curve upwards from the center gives it a squashed look, like some giant sat on the front. Also the area around the doorhinge is a bit too messy (too many gaps and a too steep angle towards the door) for my taste.

I do like the rest of the door though, the angled 3x11 panel on top of the 5x11 looks really good.

I think it could use a splash of colour in the body as well. Maybe black window styles, or some black lines in the body to bring some life to all that red.

So, well done and keep building

Okay, firstly look here about the transmission: http://www.moc-pages...hp/422999 . The link is an early version of the transmission in this vehicle, but it still functions the same. No differentials, just two coupled 2-speed transmissions.

The worm gear does mean continuous movement of the gear lever, but there is actually a functional part that helps to restrict the motion of the control axle by taking advantage of the inherent slack in Lego parts. There's a clip of it in the video, at time 2:51; look for the square-ish part that rotates.

I would have added some additional color to the car, but my collection is currently all red and the prices of additional panels and flexible axles make me cringe.

I hope this helps to explain things. Thanks for the comment.

Thank you all for your nice comments. For any who may be interested, here's the Lego Ideas link: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/136011

Edited by Rage_Hobbit

SO many features packed into such a small area. Really nice, the transmission design looks really technical. :cry_happy:

I like everything except the front lights. They are looking downwards ;)

very cool build man.