Superkalle

[2016 Digital Design Contest] - Comment topic for entries

Parts in a certain color can only be used if they have already been released in that color. Bricklink is the best guide for this.

Ok i got it.....what color doesnt exist?...... The chrome colors? Do you have a list of official colors to check?

The issue is more which part/color combinations (known as elements) exist, or don't. When determining if an element "exists", Bricklink is often used as a definitive guide.

What did you build your models in? Depending on the answer, there might be a tool or two out there that can help check your model against parts that actually exist.

For your models, several examples of elements that don't actually exist can be found in Optimus's energy axe.

Edited by Classicsmiley

I would also recommend BrickLink website as others already mentioned cos I guess it is the most accurate one even more when one of the rules are "bricks combos that can be bought on BrickLink"...but beware: BrickLink is using it's own bricksID in some cases (for example LDD brick "43675" will not be even found on BrickLink cos BrickLink has it listed under its own name as "78c19" - in such rare cases I simply go to Google and type "LEGO part 43675" which show me sites that actually list that brick under its LDD name, namely Brickowl and there I simply look in which sets it came from, then going back to Bricklink, find that specific set and finally find the exact BrickLink brickID of the part in question :wink: )

Edited by bublible

Not only colors, but color-part combinations (afore mentionned “combos”).

E.g., the violet (LDD’s Medium Lilac, BL’s Dark Purple) that you’re using in your second model is a color that exists, but some parts you may be using aren’t available: large plates, some slopes, etc.

Hence, the advice to check on BrickLink if the parts exist in that color, either as a “known” color for that part (meaning it appears in a set), or a “for sale” color (some combination being or having been available but not in a set (Pick-a-Brick, Legoland parks…)).

BrickLink is not 100% accurate (errors do happen) but is a very good reference.

I don’t think anything has been said about combos that do exist but are very rare (prototypes, discontinued colors or parts…).

EDIT: Wow! It seems I have spent a lot of time writing this answer: 3 other answers already posted :grin:

Edited by SylvainLS

I don’t think anything has been said about combos that do exist but are very rare (prototypes, discontinued colors or parts…).

Ehm, you're wrong on this (= it was already "said") - @Superkalle already answered exactly such question that I have asked him publicly on the other topic over here ("Rules, prizes and questions")....short answer: no, we can not use such brick(s) in case they are normally not available on BrickLink. :classic:

Edited by bublible

Basically, to sum up, try to find the piece on bricklink. If it doesn't exist in that color, then you can either use another piece instead, or you have to use one of your five allowed new recolors.

Ehm, you're wrong on this (= it was already "said") - @Superkalle already answered exactly such question that I have asked him publicly on the other topic over here ("Rules, prizes and questions")....short answer: no, we can not use such brick(s) in case they are normally not available on BrickLink. :classic:

I’ll have to take your word on it: didn’t read it, couldn’t find it. :laugh:

And one could always argue on what “normally available” means. :devil:

Anyway, I was thinking about parts like the TV Antenna: available on BrickLink, but very expensive and discontinued since 1987. The kind of parts you’d want to avoid if you want to build your models some day :sweet:

I’ll have to take your word on it: didn’t read it, couldn’t find it. :laugh:

And one could always argue on what “normally available” means. :devil:

I think it could mean any brick that you would see in stores on BrickLink - that "normaly" means brick(s) that are there for a good amount of time, not some "rare" stuff that could be there like 10 days and then 5 years no sign for such brick(s), I guess. :grin:

Anyway, I was thinking about parts like the TV Antenna: available on BrickLink, but very expensive and discontinued since 1987. The kind of parts you’d want to avoid if you want to build your models some day :sweet:

If I understood @Superkalle right the only "merit" is brick's availability on BrickLink, so although they can be expensive as hell while they are available there you can use them (but rather wait for MODs answering this themselves). :classic:

Edited by bublible

Ok...well i will keep the colors on my models just like that, since, to keep the accuracy on the original characters

Ok...well i will keep the colors on my models just like that, since, to keep the accuracy on the original characters

If you don't want to be disqualified, I recommend you go and see if the colors come in the parts, otherwise you won't be allowed to win !

But in such case I am really afraid you'll be disqualified from the contest... :look:

As the others said, if there are too many non-existent brick/color combinations, your model will be disqualified.

I think the red/blue one can be kept a lot as it is (but don't take me on my word), but I think (again, I'm far from 100% sure) the purple one either needs a re-colorization or some other way of making it purple. Or you can swap it with another model (there's still quite some time left).

I understand that might feel annoying (and your models do really look very awesome!), but we have to draw a line somewhere.

I hope you understand :sweet:

I've revisited my entry with updated builds and renders. I tried to make Tom Servo and Crow more in scale with each other. Gypsy is sized more to the telephone handset used as the handle on the flashlight on her head, than to the other robots.

@Brick-Mark-I: The max part limit is 5000 pieces. So your 9000-piece total set of models would have to be cut in half to fit in that limit.

I really like the new Europa theme that was posted. They look nice!

Thank you. It took me a while to think up a good name for it, but then I remembered the lost theme and Bob's your uncle. If you know your history, you might even get a few of the names of the characters featured. For instance:

Prince Karl = Karl/Charles VI, Holy Roman Emperor

Prince Louis = Louis XVI of France

Prince Frederick = Frederick the Great of Prussia

Prince George = George III of the United Kingdom

~Furthermore~

Emperor Victor = Gender swap of Queen Victoria

Empress Alberta = Gender swap of Prince Albert

Carnor is a corruption of the French for "Black Heart", and Herrick is a play on the character Baldrick from Blackadder (Herr/Hair vs. Bald).

Edited by Sir E Fullner

^ Could you maybe post interior photos?

Sure. I'll put them on Flickr sometime later this week.

I'm a bit confused about the image dimensions. The rules say "Max resolution of images is 1024x768 or equivalent", does this mean my images can be 1600x1200 pixels since that's the same proportion? I also couldn't help but notice that some contestants have been posting pictures with different resolutions/dimensions, so now I'm not really sure of what to do.

The main point is too keep them in the 1024*768 range. If you want to make the images slightly wider (let's say max 1200), then you need to do so at the expense of the height.

Hope that gives some indication. 1600x1200 is too big.

I'm a bit confused about the image dimensions. The rules say "Max resolution of images is 1024x768 or equivalent", does this mean my images can be 1600x1200 pixels since that's the same proportion? I also couldn't help but notice that some contestants have been posting pictures with different resolutions/dimensions, so now I'm not really sure of what to do.

The main point is too keep them in the 1024*768 range. If you want to make the images slightly wider (let's say max 1200), then you need to do so at the expense of the height.

Hope that gives some indication. 1600x1200 is too big.

Or - if I could add my "bit" to this debate trying to help here (this is how I understand it): one can think about this rule as "I can make any dimensions I want BUT its width may not be bigger than 1024px, and at the same time its height may not be bigger than 768px" = for example you can make picture of 400x768, or 1000x650, or 1024x200, or 300x300 or...this way on and on (you do not need to stick to W/H ratio), simply stay in the brims of dimension rules, that's it. :wink:

Edited by bublible

All right, thanks guys. Just published my entry and I'm sharing my LDD file as well!

Post #18.

May I publish the renders on my Flickr page or should I wait until the end of the contest?

Edited by Unijob

All right, thanks guys. Just published my entry and I'm sharing my LDD file as well!

Post #18.

May I publish the renders on my Flickr page or should I wait until the end of the contest?

Fantastic entry! This was incredibly creative. I was blown away that some of the carts, most notably Red Beard's and Basil's, those wheels were just so creative!