Superkalle

[2016 Digital Design Contest] - Rules, prizes and questions

Yeah, as far as I can tell, the rules about box art are pretty much just "don't add extra visual elements like a background with distinct parts or similar into it." So it seems rather strange to prohibit pictures of models posed in ways they would be in real life. I mean, I asked whether photoshopping in an arrow to demonstrate a function was allowed, and apparently it is, so I doubt posing the model normally is disallowed.

But he did exactly that "add extra visual elements like a background with distinct parts or similar into it." and that is the reason why I am objecting it although it has nothing to do with this theme which looks fantastic + I guess adding some tiny arrows showing what the model can do is quite different thing compared to poster like presentation (as @nine09nueve pointed out before), right?

Except that where/why did you left out the 2nd part to it which is even more important in this particular case: "Don't create box-art or similar to present the theme - just the models themselves"?

Edited by bublible

:thumbup: Exactly as I meant it, thanx.

Gee, only if I would have this kind of knowledge of english language I guess there would be much less misunderstanding of my "thoughts"...wouldn't you mind being my official english-speaking speaker? :laugh::grin:

I will - as long as you can be my LDD Bluerenderer *cheer*

I'm fine.

Course you are... I would be too if I'd worn the admins down enough to change the rules to suit me too! *edited to include references

Oh, not again, I really hope we're not doing the 'piece can only be used in existing colors' rule. That was such a killer last time. Can we also include a made-up logo in the first image or something?

I still think it's unfair, I need a lot of pieces in orange and light blue :laugh: By logo I mean a logo for my theme. Just one I'd make in Photoshop or something

Rrgh, yet I need to use the updated parka hood for these figures and only the old, not so good version comes in black. There can't be an exception for that? :sceptic:

How about this - there's a new rule that states you can have up to... 5 new color combinations in your entire theme. We have to list them/show them to prove it. That's a little better, eh? :sad:

Because they think it's fair to have the contest as if you were building with physical bricks, in existing colors. Even though I think we should be able to use the unlimited colors of LDD to our full extent, especially when new themes introduces new colors of pieces all the time.

Am I allowed to add pieces in colors that are coming out in future sets? For example, that inverted 1x2 curved slope piece, it's only out in Aqua right now but it's coming in black (I think) this summer in the Ninjago Lighthouse Siege set.

And in response to the Admins reiterating the 10 model rule

Seriously? I'm done with my entry. There's at least 2 vehicles in every set. COME ON.

Personally I like this myself... emphasis mine

Well, I guess the idea with the contest was/is to keep digital building somehow connected to the challenges you face with physical building and not let it drift too far off with all kinds of fantasy color combos. So we just made the decision to have this limitation when we launched the contest. Also I guess it was to have a simple and easy-to-follow rule.

Edited by nine09nueve

!??! What background did I add?

I'm presenting the models themselves? Why is this so ridiculous?

Guys - can I please ask you to slow down the "debate" a bit. A bit too many speculations right now.

We've read the question from CM4Sci, and we're talking now about it before rushing with an answer. Please be patient - it may take a day or so to answer your questions.

I will - as long as you can be my LDD Bluerenderer *cheer*

Haha, OK, we may have a deal then! :laugh:

BTW just a side note: when you talk about BR: my own internal MOD version grown up considerably - quantum of new features and improvements actually - from the last time I updated it officially here on EB cos I think I already drifted too far from official BR now so I will most probably not updating it nevermore, as I am working on something new (kind-of Mecabricks approach in JAVA app format) so when I have it working and going I will most probably post it here on EB for everyone for free... :blush::devil:

Edited by bublible

I'm thinking that I'll stop working on my entry if we're in such a hurry to tear each other's entries apart with technical nonsense.

I'm thinking that I'll stop working on my entry if we're in such a hurry to tear each other's entries apart with technical nonsense.

No please don't... that would be terrible. Like all things forum-wise... it quickly seems to get quite pedantic huh?

(P.s: love the premise behind your flickr Capt America comic BTW)

Amen to this. I have been working a bit on a project, but there have been so many rule-changes, complaints and petty accusations about stuff that I think I might just not play this game at all. I don't want to subject myself to that! This is supposed to be fun (I thought).

Noooo! I love your wipeout themed builds :D

All builds are WIPs until the closing date so if you want to change it all them I'm sure it's absolutely fine (will still be a *bit* sad though!)

Well I have something more elaborated now, even thought it might be less of a "theme" (only 3 models), they're cooler MOCs.

Amen to this. I have been working a bit on a project, but there have been so many rule-changes, complaints and petty accusations about stuff that I think I might just not play this game at all. I don't want to subject myself to that! This is supposed to be fun (I thought).

Well, to be honest, there's only been 1 rule change (the thing about bricks in new colors). :wink:

This whole discussion is just about the interpretation of the rules... I mean, the rules are not the law book. You don't have to win some case with it.

It's just written by 2 simple people, for a simple contest :laugh:

In the end, the rules are there to keep the contest fair and equal for everyone, not to debate about that single word in sentence 12, paragraph 15, chapter 6.

If there are any questions, please leave them here and don't start another discussion.

It's just written by 2 simple people, for a simple contest :laugh:... In the end, the rules are there to keep the contest fair and equal for everyone, not to debate about that single word in sentence 12, paragraph 15, chapter 6.

Absolutely... I suppose that is why I'm curious why any of the rules "had" to be changed at all... I vote for next time just say "NO" to any rule changes :P

This contest is just ridiculous. Just because some over motivated people can't help themselves to play some kind of contest police, pointing out "errors" on others contribution just to push own MOCs or desperately trying to tweak the rules to fit their already made themes. Rules are rules, they were clear, no need to discuss them. Besides, I don't see a problem, if someone use 5 bricks in other color if it fits the model or if something floats or not. I can imagine, this were also no reason for the moderators to disqualify the entry.

I was really enthusiastic, when the digital contest was announced again (thanks to moderators), but this is going all wrong. As @Actor Builder said, this supposed to be fun, but it is not anymore.

Already looking to next contest (hopefully next year), where as it is digital, should be imho allowed everything (all bricks, all colors, backdrops) as all this things are digitally possible and also to prevent situation from this year.

@CM4Sci - It is OK to have the minifigs being a bit in action like that, as well as mechs and so. Also, it's OK that you have your theme logo in that picture. However, for the other pictures in you entry, you can keep the backdrop/gradients, but please remove the "set" text so the models can be judged a bit more own there own.

@All - Please do NOT comment or debate if other peoples entries break the rules or not. ONLY ask questions about your own entry. Thanks.

Hello, can I post the pictures from my entry on Flickr or should I only do that after the end of the contest?

I had so much fun building those tiny vehicles from my entry that I may actually build more and expand upon the theme after the competition is over.

Edited by Unijob

Hello, can I post the pictures from my entry on Flickr or should I only do that after the end of the contest?

I had so much fun building those tiny vehicles from my entry that I may actually build more and expand upon the theme after the competition is over.

Sure, no problem.

@CM4Sci - It is OK to have the minifigs being a bit in action like that, as well as mechs and so. Also, it's OK that you have your theme logo in that picture. However, for the other pictures in you entry, you can keep the backdrop/gradients, but please remove the "set" text so the models can be judged a bit more own there own.

@All - Please do NOT comment or debate if other peoples entries break the rules or not. ONLY ask questions about your own entry. Thanks.

Alright, cool, good to know no rules were adjusted for this answer. The backgrounds were part of Bluerender anyway, I don't understand why they're different colors when they're the same when I input them.

I'll remove the text, but then there's just a bunch of empty space. Aaaandddd done. Thank you! :sweet:

Edited by CM4Sci

Fine, so I am asking:

• do I understand it right that I can have logo on my participating render entries in form of another picture/font (that is how I understood what you wrote for CM4Sci)?
  • can I make some machines in my renders that actually fly in the air/space or do I need to have them "sitting" on some kind of stand/support simulating them being in the air (I would rather go without those stands/supports)?

Edited by bublible

Fine, so I am asking:

• do I understand it right that I can have logo on my participating render entries in form of another picture/font (that is how I understood what you wrote for CM4Sci)?
  • can I make some machines in my renders that actually fly in the air/space or do I need to have them "sitting" on some kind of stand/support simulating them being in the air (I would rather go without those stands/supports)?

These two question were actually partly answered here before, but I don't mind answering them again:

1) Yes, you can have a logo for you theme, like CM4Sci had in the picture he showed, which was like a "logo" picture for his theme. And sure, you can put a logo/watermark in the other pictures too if you want. What I told CM4Sci was to remove the text that just said the name of the set and the piece count etc.

2) Yes, you can have an aircraft flying if you want and you don't need a support.

These two question were actually partly answered here before, but I don't mind answering them again:

1) Yes, you can have a logo for you theme, like CM4Sci had in the picture he showed, which was like a "logo" picture for his theme. And sure, you can put a logo/watermark in the other pictures too if you want. What I told CM4Sci was to remove the text that just said the name of the set and the piece count etc.

2) Yes, you can have an aircraft flying if you want and you don't need a support.

OK, thanx for your clarification - now is all clear... :wink:

So no writing the name of the set next to it (even catalog-style, in a white bubble that's positioned away from the actual render)? That's a shame. That makes it a little more difficult for people to identify which set is which in a picture with more than two sets in it.

So no writing the name of the set next to it (even catalog-style, in a white bubble that's positioned away from the actual render)? That's a shame. That makes it a little more difficult for people to identify which set is which in a picture with more than two sets in it.

It's what it is I'm afraid. It was just to avoid the discussion about "can it be considered box art or not"?

We've learned a lot during this contest, so in the future maybe the rules will be different, but we're sticking with what we have for now.

So just to make sure, is anything wrong with my entry? :tongue:

I haven't looked in detail, but I'd say all entries so far are OK.

I haven't looked in detail, but I'd say all entries so far are OK.

Now I am not sure if I can even say - if I am even allowed to - post my opinion (actually a fact), Suprkalle, without "fear" of receiving another message from you, but I will try: how you can say all entries are OK when at least 2 are not (@gercrow -> only 2 models/sets, more than 5 allowed "new brick/color combos", @BrickMark-I -> more than 5000 pcs allowed, using Photoshoped backdrop)??? I really lost in all of this by now, rules are there to be followed, they are not followed by some (gee, why we are not allowed to say it / point to it when it is quite visible thinking moderators also must see it for sure only to understand that moderator(s) actually saying it is OK? How can someone like you be moderator after all? This is really too much - it is quite pity that other users just "shut up" do not demanding the same right for all and it seems like I am the only one who is actually punished for speaking out - why?

I think there is a topic where one can report moderators that seems to be abusing their privilegues (why i do not feel the same about @legoljintje? his reactions are so different from yours, yours are inconsistent, many times dealing the same thing quite differently according to specific user you are dealing with...it'd be nice if more users have actually "guts" and also speak out cos I know some think the ssame about you and it is they are just quite fearing possible consequences - I am not and I told you many times over PM!

If it will lead to me ban from the forum I can take it but i surely can not take your absurd maneurism anymore, sorry (and i really thought it is just some misunderstanding between us, but clearly it is not).

This being said I most probably quit being user of this forum because it is functioning childish way, not adult at all...bye!

P.S.: you most probably delete this post - as you use to if the message being presented is not what you like, but at least it will be here for a few seconds, maybe others would see it and thosse I know think the same as me will actually speak out against you finally!

Edited by bublible

It's what it is I'm afraid. It was just to avoid the discussion about "can it be considered box art or not"?

We've learned a lot during this contest, so in the future maybe the rules will be different, but we're sticking with what we have for now.

That's okay. I've figured out a workaround which looks better and fits into the theme.