Superkalle

[2016 Digital Design Contest] - Rules, prizes and questions

Hm, what? We can't pose our models to look how they would on a box? Or what? I did it because I thought it'd look cooler, better presentation and all. A lot better than nothing going on, everything on the ground and neatly organized.

Hm, what? We can't pose our models to look how they would on a box? Or what? I did it because I thought it'd look cooler, better presentation and all. A lot better than nothing going on, everything on the ground and neatly organized.

Well, as for me, that is exactly how I understood the rule about bricks being "not just hanging in the air" part but as it is not quite clear I asked the question and now waiting for exact explanation from mods.

I guess we have to think about it like "How I would do it with real bricks when Photoshoping is not allowed", like for example as a model(s) being displayed on some expo where you need to put those on some kind of stands/supports ( I have used trans for mine) or with strings (not applicable in this case and contest). :wink:

And it looks even more like that when considering the other rule saying we should not trying to present our entries as box covers etc.

On the other hand I agree with you that it is much cooler looking...and that is also the reason I am feeling a bit "cheated" by that now unclear rule when I see others...ehm, you in this case, are presenting their stuff that "better/more pleasant/better looking" way (but hey, I can live with that anyway, just saying).

Edited by bublible

Then redo your pictures. You have like a week left.

It is not problem of redoing, it is rather matter of principle for me: so is it allowed or not allowed?

Besides: so I will redoing it like working on it for several hours just to find out I was right after all that it is not allowed?

That is the reason I would like to hear it from the mods how it actually is, if you understand my point.

BTW what if it is you who will have to redoing his entries? :laugh::tongue:

Oh, now I look all participants and I found 2 other rule breaking stuff, like:

@CM4Sci

This is from CONTEST RULES, read:

• You may not add photoshop backdrops or other "non"-LEGO items into the images - the themes should be possible to judge based on their design quality and theme originality by themselves.
  • Don't create box-art or similar to present the theme - just the models themselves

Your addition is really a great one, no doubt about it at all from my side, BUT are you sure it is allowed to present the entry the way you updated it so that now it looks like kind of box cover or poster? Wasn't it prohibited in rules???

Now I would be really interesting what mods would say about that cos it completely change the game here: as you look at all the other participants, we only posted our models as they are as it was in the rules i guess, but you come up with the thing that is going really against it (+ please, do not take it as personal attack cos it is not, I really like your models, but there should be the same rule for all cos else the other ones are discriminated)

@BrickMark-I

This is from CONTEST RULES, read:

The only limitation is that you use max 5000 bricks total for all models...

I am afraid that your entry will be disqualified by mods just because of the fact your models using far more bricks than those 5000 allowed - you should rearrange it in some way so it'd be accepted.

Edited by bublible

Oh, now I look all participants and I found 2 other rule breaking stuff, like:

CM4Sci

Your addition is really a great one, no doubt about it at all from my side, BUT are you sure it is allowed to present the entry the way you updated it so that now it looks like kind of box cover or poster? Wasn't it prohibited in rules???

Actually Bublible is right... It is explicitly mentioned twice...

Don't create box-art or similar to present the theme - just the models themselves

Renders are allowed but photoshoping in other parts, backdrop, box-art etc into your images is not allowed.

So presumably... THIS below...

25982318393_ac6737de4e_c.jpg

Although nice and pretty and eyecatching - is presumably irrelevant and shouldn't be included? As are the titles and faux-set numbers etc that are included in the final shot of the model... "just the models themselves"

I have moving parts in my builds (more coming soon) and I intend to post a video to show that what i've built digitally, actually works IRL... but I'm only planning on putting that into the commentary section and not posted into my entry as that isn't allowed in the rules.

Edited by nine09nueve

...perhaps you are stretching your submission with that info panel on the RHS?

Sorry, my english is not that great, so please can you explain me what do you mean (could you say it in some other way so that I would get it :laugh: )? :look:

Now that the rules have changed all those extra shots of the model are fine :D but how does all that writing and explanation of what the model does come into "just the models themselves"? Maybe that should be part of the commentary thread and placed separately? Or at least out from the actual model images/render?

No, you are wrong. If you read this topic thru (OK, I know it is a lot of reading) you would sse this specific part was already discussed and allowed as it is just "functional description", that is explaining in small pictures inside the main one what it can do - it is not any kind of promotion like a poster or box cover. :wink:

No, you are wrong. If you read this topic thru (OK, I know it is a lot of reading) you would sse this specific part was already discussed and allowed as it is just "functional description", that is explaining in small pictures inside the main one what it can do - it is not any kind of promotion like a poster or box cover. :wink:

Apologies - post edited to reflect this :D

Apologies - post edited to reflect this :D

OK, no problem my friend. :grin:

Edited by bublible

Oh, that's true, I forgot about that. I guess I shouldn't make a heyyyyyy.. what about the Hover Racers one? That's got a title image with SOME of the models.

If I need to remove it, I will. Although, it took like 40 minutes to angle those two sides together the correct way.. but whatever :tongue:

Oh, that's true, I forgot about that. I guess I shouldn't make a heyyyyyy.. what about the Hover Racers one? That's got a title image with SOME of the models.

I'm inclined to agree with you... although its less in your face than your advertising campaign! :P *hehe*

Edited by nine09nueve

.. what about the Hover Racers one? That's got a title image with SOME of the models.

I'm inclined to agree with you... although its less in your face than your advertising campaign! :P *hehe*

Well, I am really not MOD, so only they can tell for sure, but I think yes it breaks that specific rule + also @bbqqq's one entry too (the first one having that special "font logo" Thomb Rider).

I understood it like that when the words are just some kind of normal informative-like ones and not eye catching "advertising campaign" (I've used your phrase, @nine09nueve :laugh: ) then it is OK...

Edited by bublible

Since it's 1 entry per member only, I assume it's ok to change an already posted entry to something else before the deadline?

Since it's 1 entry per member only, I assume it's ok to change an already posted entry to something else before the deadline?

Noooo! I love your wipeout themed builds :D

All builds are WIPs until the closing date so if you want to change it all them I'm sure it's absolutely fine (will still be a *bit* sad though!)

Yes, it is absolutely OK as mods already said that before, tho you have to really wait for MODs reaction anyway (as I was told it sometimes seem as I am moderating it here myself which I am not, of course :grin: ).

Edited by bublible

I've tried to follow the last days posts, but I'm not sure if there is still any question in there or if everything has been straightened out.

Uh basically is this image allowed? Or not? Can I have the models in my image look like they're in action?

25982318393_ac6737de4e_c.jpg

I am pretty sure that entry #12 contains >5 new color combos

I've tried to follow the last days posts, but I'm not sure if there is still any question in there or if everything has been straightened out.

Basically we discussed it amongst us ourselves coming to some kind of "internal conclusion" what is OK and what is not but I guess it'd be really good and helpful if you - as moderator - would just additionally clarify if what we think is right is realy right (gee, I know I sound complicated once again but I do not know how to say it "easy way" - fingers crossed you do understand what I am saying here :laugh: ).

Simply answer these question for us, please - YES or NOT: :sweet:

- does CM4Sci, bbqqq and anothergol broke some of contest rules? Our conclusion: YES, IT IS QUITE CLEARLY A BREAK OF RULE(S), spcificaly these ones:

• You may not add photoshop backdrops or other "non"-LEGO items into the images - the themes should be possible to judge based on their design quality and theme originality by themselves.
  • Don't create box-art or similar to present the theme - just the models themselves

- does using "flying object in the air just like that" (that is: without any support/stand) breaks rules? There are different opinions, some "pro" some "con" - I personally think it is break of rule, as we discussed earlier together - you and me, if you remember - where you were putting a lot of weight to the fact that it should really be taken as real brick models, so by that statement there is no option how to have "flying objects" (= bricks hanging in the air "just like that") except using stand/support or photoshoping (which is not allowed), this is the specific rule:

• The models have to be physically buildable, so no floating bricks and such

I am pretty sure that entry #12 contains >5 new color combos

When it comes to that specific entry it was already discussed by MODs and they basically said that if he do not change it he will be disqualified and he simply replayed he does not care and that it can be deleted, I guess.

Uh basically is this image allowed? Or not? Can I have the models in my image look like they're in action?

I am affraid that not only this one "poster", but actually all of your lately updated entries are breaking that specific rule...but hey, let's wait and see what MODs will say (tho I have actually no doubt about it if you'd ask me, sorry). :wink:

Edited by bublible

For the 'floating bricks' thing, you're wrong. My models are all 100% physically buildable. Nothing is floating.

For the 'floating bricks' thing, you're wrong. My models are all 100% physically buildable. Nothing is floating.

No, no, it is not about that: model hanging in the air is what? Bubbles? :classic: Those are too bricks in the air, and as it should be real models, you have to use some kind of stand, or at least that is how I did understand that rule and perpetual pointing out the fact of "real bricks builds". :wink:

Edited by bublible

I think it is your definition of "floating" - I don't think that your models won't hold together if you built them IRL (or at least it doesn't look like there's any elements suspended in mid air or not connected to anything) BUT... Your polar drill team minifigure and drill plane pursuit vehicle are both "floating".... I suppose you would say they are "flying" but they can't really fly... they are lumps of plastic... and although they both look eminently swooshable, the picture you've created has them hovering in mid-air... as it were.

That I think is the issue Bublible is talking about. Interestingly enough there is nothing in the original rules that speaks about being connected to the floor... But if those models don't hover in real life then floating them in a render (although looking pretty) isn't a real representation of what they would "do" if they were built in real life.

Don't create box-art or similar to present the theme - A swooshing ship is probably similar to box art... as is your big advert picture...

As an aside - looking back through ALL the rules entries... more than anyone it seems that you've particularly wanted to push the rules / change the rules to suit your ideas and builds... the 5 custom colours parts rule... the 10 sets rule... any reason why you don't seem to just want to accept the rules as they are and work with them? That's the challenge isn't it? :D

Edited by nine09nueve

They just changed the rule that you can have 10 sets OR 10 models. I have 6 sets.

I listed the new colored pieces, 3 - the parka hood, the white shell/cone hat, and the blue tooth piece. Everything else exists, I checked, multiple times.

Is this box thing really a huge deal? Does it matter how we present our models? That's part of the scoring, isn't it, presentation? Models just sitting there doing nothing isn't good looking, I want models to look like they're in action.

I'm fine.

I think it is your definition of "floating" - I don't think that your models won't hold together if you built them IRL (or at least it doesn't look like there's any elements suspended in mid air or not connected to anything) BUT... Your polar drill team minifigure and drill plane pursuit vehicle are both "floating".... I suppose you would say they are "flying" but they can't really fly... they are lumps of plastic... and although they both look eminently swooshable, the picture you've created has them hovering in mid-air... as it were.

That I think is the issue Bublible is talking about. Interestingly enough there is nothing in the original rules that speaks about being connected to the floor... But if those models don't hover in real life then floating them in a render (although looking pretty) isn't a real representation of what they would "do" if they were built in real life.

Don't create box-art or similar to present the theme - A swooshing ship is probably similar to box art... as is your big advert picture...

As an aside - looking back through ALL the rules entries... more than anyone it seems that you've particularly wanted to push the rules / change the rules to suit your ideas and builds... the 5 custom colours parts rule... the 10 sets rule... any reason why you don't seem to just want to accept the rules as they are and work with them? That's the challenge isn't it? :D

:thumbup: Exactly as I meant it, thanx.

Gee, only if I would have this kind of knowledge of english language I guess there would be much less misunderstanding of my "thoughts"...wouldn't you mind being my official english-speaking speaker? :laugh::grin:

Edited by bublible

They just changed the rule that you can have 10 sets OR 10 models. I have 6 sets.

I listed the new colored pieces, 3 - the parka hood, the white shell/cone hat, and the blue tooth piece. Everything else exists, I checked, multiple times.

Is this box thing really a huge deal? Does it matter how we present our models? That's part of the scoring, isn't it, presentation? Models just sitting there doing nothing isn't good looking, I want models to look like they're in action.

I'm fine.

Yeah, as far as I can tell, the rules about box art are pretty much just "don't add extra visual elements like a background with distinct parts or similar into it." So it seems rather strange to prohibit pictures of models posed in ways they would be in real life. I mean, I asked whether photoshopping in an arrow to demonstrate a function was allowed, and apparently it is, so I doubt posing the model normally is disallowed.